LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

3.4/LT1 swap please help....

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 09:21 PM

3.4/LT1 swap please help....

Ok the car is a 95 and I dropped a 96 LT1 in. I bought an exterior wiring harness for a 97 from speedautomotive and scott said it would workwith the 96. I put it in and the motor will turn over but the fuel pump doesnt come on. I had an interior harness from a 97 also so I tore the dash out. The harness thats in the car now doesnt have as many plugs or wires as the one I have for the 97. Is a 96 harness the same as a 97. I know this swap has been done hundreds of times so I hope dsomebody knows which harness I need.
Old 09-15-2003, 10:17 PM

Hmm..only thing I can think of is the dash cluster in the 97+ f-cars had a digital odometer. That doesn't even matter tho. Is this a camaro or firebird? Just trying to help. Try search and email the topic starter that has probably finished his swap by now.

-Corey
Old 09-15-2003, 11:12 PM

It's a firebird. I read all the other posts about this and got a few ideas which Im gonna try tomorrow. I guess Ill just hope for the best but Im sure someone on here has put a 96 lt1 in a 95 v6 car. I dont care if I have to buy different harnesses for both exterior and interior, I just want to get it on the road.
Old 09-15-2003, 11:19 PM

you have vats wired up/ disabled? have the fuel pump wired up? checked the wiring, ohmed it out, checked for power to the relay, checked your fuses?
Old 09-18-2003, 11:46 AM

Did you swap the interior harness out of the 97 as well. If you did not you will notice that the pinout does not line up there are two ways around the problem. One is to swap in the 97+ harness, but it will have a few plug issues. The major problem is that the pcm is not getting a signal from the vats. I think the green and pink wires control the vats and the pulse of the fuel injection bank.

Thanks Scott
Old 09-18-2003, 08:43 PM

I assume the different pins you're talking about are on the plugs behind the pass. side kick panel. I dont wanna have to change the interior harness if I dont have to so anything else you know would be appreciated.
Old 09-19-2003, 09:51 AM

yes it the connectors that are on the inside on the car located on the kick panel. You will have to check the manual and repin your connectors by the GM book, or install a complete interior harness. Is you car a camaro of ta?
Old 09-19-2003, 04:28 PM

Its a Trans Am. I have the interior v8 harness from a different car so I looked at the plugs on it. On the white plug there was a pink wire that wasnt on my v6 interior harness. And on the v6 interior harness the blue plug had a pink wire that the v8 interior harness didnt have. I took the pink wire from the blue plug and put it in the white plug. The fuel pump still wont come on so I hot wired it. The pump comes on but the car still wont start. Im gonna check spark but I have a feeling that the injectors arent turning on.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:57 PM

that sounds like a vats problem.

no real way to fix that. they have some bypass resistors that will probably work.
Old 09-20-2003, 07:57 AM

Yes the key is the injector signal. EZ to tell if the injectors are pulsing. Just use a noid light, do not use a regular test light. I have a guy that works with us on wiring. He won't be in the shop until thursday. He can tell you what wire to repin. If you want to give us a call. One problem I know you going to have is that the 96 uses a body control module for vats. The 93-95 has its own vats box.

Thanks Scott
Old 09-20-2003, 08:26 AM

Originally posted by Chuck2
Its a Trans Am. I have the interior v8 harness from a different car so I looked at the plugs on it. On the white plug there was a pink wire that wasnt on my v6 interior harness. And on the v6 interior harness the blue plug had a pink wire that the v8 interior harness didnt have. I took the pink wire from the blue plug and put it in the white plug. The fuel pump still wont come on so I hot wired it. The pump comes on but the car still wont start. Im gonna check spark but I have a feeling that the injectors arent turning on.
if it is vats, if you have a laptop, or want to send the pcm out, you can have it disabled. I have it disabled in my truck.
Old 09-20-2003, 02:59 PM

Ok so vats is going to be a problem. If I can figure out which wire to repin then can I bypass the vats and will the injectors work? IF so then can someone explain exactly how to bypass it. I searched and no one explains it very well where the wires are that I need to put the resistor between. Thanks
Old 09-20-2003, 04:45 PM

vats needs a pulsed signal, think it's 50 hz, 50% duty cycle @ 5v peak. (that explain it enough?? ) There are circuits you can build to fake the ecm out into thinking that vats is running, or if you have the vats module, you can figure out what resistor value it needs and just hook a resistor up to it to defeat the key chip sensor.

The easiest and by far quickest method is to disable it in the pcm. If you don't have LT1edit, tuner cat, or anything like that, you can send the pcm out to get programmed, check out pcmforless.com, madz28.com, etc. While you're at it, they can install a performance tune, change your tire size or rear ratio and calibrate the speedo.

trust me, I found more information on vats than i could shake a stick at. get on google and do a search for camaro vats. or vehicle anti theft system lt1 or other searches like that. you will come up w/ a ton of info.

good luck.
Old 09-20-2003, 06:29 PM

Well i feel stupid now. I already sent my computer in to get performance tuning done and at the time I had him program it for no VATS. At the time I didnt know what that VATS was but I had him program it out anyway. Ok so now that I know its not vats I feel better but still have the problem. This sux