LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

355 LE Dyno tune this Friday...Guess my numbers

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by wrd1972
The springs have less than 2K miles and are junk just like blue said.
Only your intake valve springs are junk.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by marshall93z
Only your intake valve springs are junk.
Still dont trust the beehives with this cam. Why did the intake peter out? How about the Patriots?

Last edited by wrd1972; 04-02-2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:50 PM

Thats the ones I ordered the 8501-BSBC, but Patriot has the retainers on backorder and said it would be three weeks before they could get them to me, did you find a set and where at LE let me know.......

Still dont trust the beehives with his cam. Why did the intake peter out? How about the Patriots?
what confuses me is that there are many people with the same setup as you and no problems?

with those cam specs maybe you should just swap to a LE2 cam, from what i see the specs are not that much different, just a little less aggressive

How ironic that I follow up Blue's reply with a status on my PAC1218 beehives that are causing my valve float.

Just pulled both beehives off of #1 cylinder. Seat pressure is 115@1.775 and 120@1.750 for the intake valve. Seat pressure is 130@1.775 and 135@1.750 for the exhaust. The springs have less than 2K miles and are junk just like blue said.

Also just found out that the Comp 921 dual springs will not fit the LT1 heads without machining the guides to .500".

Wont be racing this weekend.

Looks like I need the LT1 Patriot dual spring kit. Anyone have a part number for this and where do I get them?
uh oh, better sell off that LE/BRE setup and give Ai a call. I'm sure they'll have u swingin from their ***** for a discount just like they did for Speed demon. I wonder if they even paid to cam doctor Speed demons cam too? I mean afterall they already offered Javier this. OP, I personally think your best bet would be to take advice from the cam designer and the people that have the ability to make the setups work, not the ones that can't.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:54 PM

All options are being weighed.
Will the Patriot extremes work on the LT1?
Old 04-02-2008, 11:36 PM

As far as i know patriot has a spring/retainer/lock package that will work on the lt1's now. That's what i recommended to Doug in the beginning before he went with the BRE package.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by 89385formula
uh oh, better sell off that LE/BRE setup and give Ai a call. I'm sure they'll have u swingin from their ***** for a discount just like they did for Speed demon. I wonder if they even paid to cam doctor Speed demons cam too? I mean afterall they already offered Javier this. OP, I personally think your best bet would be to take advice from the cam designer and the people that have the ability to make the setups work, not the ones that can't.
I paid full price just like everyone else, but you obviously know more than I do about my own setup. It's just a coincidence that everyone with this cam is having valve float, I must have gotten a bad batch of comp springs, he must have gotten a bad batch of PAC springs, ect. So how's this nutswingin treatin you, you gettin any kind of special treatment?

:edit:
And if you don't have anything usefull to say about the OP fixing his problem why don't you stop trolling and keep this thread on track so he can resolve his issue?

Last edited by speed_demon24; 04-03-2008 at 07:10 AM.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:18 AM

Gettin Dizzy
Old 04-03-2008, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
I paid full price just like everyone else, but you obviously know more than I do about my own setup. It's just a coincidence that everyone with this cam is having valve float, I must have gotten a bad batch of comp springs, he must have gotten a bad batch of PAC springs, ect. So how's this nutswingin treatin you, you gettin any kind of special treatment?
Hey Speed Demon, slow down
Lets forget about the lobes for a sec. The thing that really makes the most sense is that the beehives are on the razors edge of working with these lobes. When they are are brand new and setup right I think its safe to say that there still is not a 100% success rate again because of being right on the thresh-hold.

Its now obvious that if these lobes are to be used then a better spring is required to ensure 100% success across the board. The only thing I am guilty of is installing the PAC1218's @ 1.775".

The real root cause for the float are the beehives, they are simply inadequate. I don't blame the high lift performance cam because performance is the objective. The cam just requires a suitable spring to ensure valve control.

Now I do agree that if the cam were replaced with something with tamer lobes then the beehives might be fine and things may work better at the cost of some HP. Maybe not but who the hell knows!!!

I am simply at the point where half you guys (including LE and my engine builder) say go bigger springs and everything will be fine and the other half say to put a tamer cam in so based on that I am going after the springs first. I don't have the time or motivation to swap a cam. If the stronger springs work, I am going to know it from my data logs.

I can then monitor the springs closely to ensure that they don't soften up from the aggressive lobes and valve train. Worse comes to worse I will do 1.5 rockers to slow things down some before the cam swap. Also If I have swap springs every few years so be it, do me its just a few hundred dollars, and a few hours and a case of beer.

For now the Patriot Golds at a minimum are going on, the site clearly says they fit LT1, they are stronger than the beehives. I would like to have the extremes assuming they will fit LT1. I will talk to them today and ask the vital questions.

Again I don't think anyone got bad springs and I dont think its a coincidence. The beehives are simply riding the razors edge literally for these HL cams and cant get the job done.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by speed_demon24

:edit:
And if you don't have anything usefull to say about the OP fixing his problem why don't you stop trolling and keep this thread on track so he can resolve his issue?

Its nutswinging when I call you on BS? If so I am guilty! I get enough happiness at reading what you and your boys write, and having the ability to see right through it. U didn't get a bad batch of springs, you didn't install your springs correctly....Your situation is different and thats my point. Not anywhere near everyone with this cam has valvefloat, so lets not exaggerate. I am not trolling, I gave the most appropriate advice and thats not trolling. I applaud U at a fair amount of attempts to spread your knowledge of what springs will work and what won't work, but then You and the others all join in and make a generic statement that the cams wrong, or the springs won't work with it. Thats not trying to help, thats an attempt at a kick below the belt when the mans already down.

I disagree that the Beehives aren't enough. There are plently of people running similar cams, with absolutely no problems. As the OP has found out, valve float will kill springs very fast. When set up correctly, the springs do well. Good luck with those Patriot springs, be sure to let us know how they work for you. I would personally stick with the PAC beehives, most likely the 1518's shimmed up.
Old 04-03-2008, 08:50 AM

we both will let you know, because Bill and I both are going to them, I agree with him totally, we have spent alot of money and time, and a cam swap is the last resort, I like the power the cam makes and if we get a spring that can handle it we are going to fly and make great dyno numbers, so its just one of those things.......

Bill, Gunner said that the 8501-BSBC will work, give him a call......they are just on backorder, because of the retainers....
Old 04-03-2008, 08:54 AM

I disagree that the Beehives aren't enough. There are plently of people running similar cams, with absolutely no problems. As the OP has found out, valve float will kill springs very fast. When set up correctly, the springs do well. Good luck with those Patriot springs, be sure to let us know how they work for you. I would personally stick with the PAC beehives, most likely the 1518's shimmed up.
i have the same feelings, there has to be another issue causing this. there is too many people running around with the same combo and no issue.

not saying the lobes arent aggressive, just that people make it work with the same combo
Old 04-03-2008, 12:47 PM

Its nutswinging when I call you on BS? If so I am guilty! I get enough happiness at reading what you and your boys write, and having the ability to see right through it. U didn't get a bad batch of springs, you didn't install your springs correctly....Your situation is different and thats my point. Not anywhere near everyone with this cam has valvefloat, so lets not exaggerate. I am not trolling, I gave the most appropriate advice and thats not trolling. I applaud U at a fair amount of attempts to spread your knowledge of what springs will work and what won't work, but then You and the others all join in and make a generic statement that the cams wrong, or the springs won't work with it. Thats not trying to help, thats an attempt at a kick below the belt when the mans already down.

Do you have any personal experience with this cam? Have you run it in your personal car? If not then you are just bs'in. And Lloyd setup the springs on the LE2 heads, not me. We've already been over this, I did one pull with the springs installed at 1.78" on my old heads, saw the valve float, and limited my RPM's to 5k until I supposidly fixed the problem which I obviously didn't. If my springs were bad he would have never put them on my LE2 heads. If they couldn't control the stock valves at 1.78" I don't see how they can control the heavier ferrea valves at 1.75" safley and last 30-40k miles. What qualifies you to make these kind of calls about saying what springs are good enough and what aren't? What are your credentials in valvetrain design? If you have never personaly run this cam how can you know what works and what doesn't work?

Last edited by speed_demon24; 04-03-2008 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by black96z28
we both will let you know, because Bill and I both are going to them, I agree with him totally, we have spent alot of money and time, and a cam swap is the last resort, I like the power the cam makes and if we get a spring that can handle it we are going to fly and make great dyno numbers, so its just one of those things.......

Bill, Gunner said that the 8501-BSBC will work, give him a call......they are just on backorder, because of the retainers....
It sucks that this package you both bought is inadequate for the cam you are running. More $$ is coming out of your pocket due to a poor choice in parts. What did Gunnar say the inside diameter if the inner spring is? If its .655" like the 921's then the seals won't fit without machining down the guides. The new 918's might be a viable option due to the increased spring rate over the pac springs.

Last edited by speed_demon24; 04-03-2008 at 12:53 PM.

Quick Reply: 355 LE Dyno tune this Friday...Guess my numbers