LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

383 Dyno Tune Result

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 02:57 PM

383 Dyno Tune Result

I had to travel up to Pro Dyno in Tempe from Tucson to get a Dyno Tune. The original programming for my car was a mail order tune from PCMSFORLESS. The first run showed that I was very lean across the board. On subsequent runs we were able to gradually increase the Air Fuel Ratio (AFR). After 12 Dynojet runs and 5 PCM reloads I netted: 410 RWHP and 392 lb/ft of torque (through a full Flowmaster exhaust).

Link to the Dyno Plot

The tuner said that there is more in the motor but it needs more fuel. After a point he was unable to enrich the AFR any further, and he said he thought it was still a little leaner at the torque peak than he wanted. During the engine buildup I replaced my 24 lb SVO injectors with 30 lb SVOs and did not upgrade my fuel pump. Log data showed that my injector duty cycle was running over 85%. During the tune every time we added fuel my torque numbers jumped 10-20 ft/lbs and I gained another 5-10 HP. The tuner felt with a new pump and larger injectors I could see another 10-20 HP. I now know I'm on the margins fuel wise so the next mod is definitely a fuel system upgrade and possibly an exhaust cutout. I also noticed that my car does not seem to run nearly as hot since the AFR was enriched across the board.

Moral of this story: Don't skimp on the fuel system if you have goals above 400 RWHP.

Last edited by 94Sleeper; 10-04-2003 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-04-2003, 05:40 PM

Congrats on the #'s. Looks good.
Old 10-04-2003, 05:44 PM

Sweet numbers man. I can only hope.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:26 PM

Mmmm, nice. Did the dyno shop have software for tuning or did you have to bring your own? I'm in Tucson and am gunna need to get my camaro tuned and was hoping to avoid having to spend a few hundred dollars on software.
Old 10-04-2003, 06:32 PM

Pro Dyno did not have a copy of LT1 Edit, I had to supply the software and laptop for programming. They did have LS1 Edit but it sounds like this isn't going to help you. You might also try to contact Extreme Motorsports in Tempe as I know they have a dyno as well.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:03 PM

If your looking to do tuning in Phoenix area Streetflight is by far the best. 30 minutes is $55 which includes the wideband reading. The employees are much better people than xtreme or prodyno. Prodyno is about $175 for 30min with a wid band. And if you guys don't know yet Xtreme is all about ripping off everyone that comes into their shop and i believe a few people may be sueing them. They sure ripped one of my buddies off.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by Slow95car
id like to know how you guys are viewing this dyno graph considering that the link to the image is a directory off of his personal PC.
I checked the link to the dyno plot and it appears from here to be pointing to my webpages on comcast.net??
Old 10-04-2003, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by Slow95car
Sure, the link goes to your site, the image doesnt. it loads for you b/c you are viewing it on the PC where the picture is at. move the picture to a different directory on your hard drive and i bet it doesnt show up on the net for you anymore
You sir were correct, I beleive that I have corrected the situation and the dynoplot should be available.

Dyno Plot

Last edited by 94Sleeper; 10-04-2003 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-04-2003, 11:36 PM

ProDyno's prices went way up since they changed ownership.
My car was at StreetFlight from May to early September getting tuned. He couldn't get it right, fried the PCM twice, I got a mailorder tune from Madwolf that turned out way better-MW did use the A/F tables from Streetflight though. My f*ckin CD player & new amp also got stolen while at Steetflight.
My original PCMforless tune was also way lean and had too much timing.

SF is known to be great, I guess my car is just difficult to tune.

There is a place called ADS in Chandler that supposed to be the best, thats my next stop.
Old 10-05-2003, 12:45 PM

Originally posted by fireman
ProDyno's prices went way up since they changed ownership.
My car was at StreetFlight from May to early September getting tuned. He couldn't get it right, fried the PCM twice, I got a mailorder tune from Madwolf that turned out way better-MW did use the A/F tables from Streetflight though. My f*ckin CD player & new amp also got stolen while at Steetflight.
My original PCMforless tune was also way lean and had too much timing.

SF is known to be great, I guess my car is just difficult to tune.

There is a place called ADS in Chandler that supposed to be the best, thats my next stop.
I never said to have SF actually do the dyno tuning on your car. I don't even think that they really do tuning. I am just saying they have great deals and good people, if you need tuning you might want to learn how to do it yourself with tunercat or lt1edit. Make 4 or 5 different tunes and try them all out on the dyno to see which one makes the most power.
Old 10-05-2003, 03:10 PM

Streeflight tuned your car? How????
Keith doesn't have LT1 Edit....

I use SF to tune my own car with my own LT1Edit cord....

Mike
Old 10-05-2003, 04:03 PM
96z

Nice numbers.
Old 10-05-2003, 05:06 PM

If your wanting a new pump..check out the GP section of the site....you can get a Walbro 255lph for like $99...
Old 10-05-2003, 05:18 PM

curious on your choice of pistons? you have something planned in the future? or were you worried about driveability on pump gas?
whats your CR at with those, i would think with that deep of a dish it would'nt be 10.95:1?
Old 10-05-2003, 05:28 PM

Just FYI for fuel in my beaSStie I did:
Racetronix flow matched 42lb injectors
Walbro 340 in tank
I previously was using the original Bosch/NOS inline fuel pump for additional fuel pressure with my dry 175 shot, we are now using the Bosch via an additional port into the tank to feed the new wet dual stage 250 shot.

Mike

Quick Reply: 383 Dyno Tune Result