LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

383 stroker on EBAY, WHAT DO YOU THINK?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 11:02 PM

Streetwarrior per the ad allen motorsports is in Dallas. Hope that the guy in Houston that you talked to is not a scam. Frank95z
Old 05-03-2007, 06:43 AM

This logic applies to any engine. Everyone pays approximately the same price for parts. If an engine seems "too cheap", there are only a few possibilities. The parts are not what you think they are is a common one. Stuff left out is another. Work done in a shoddy fashion is the third. Or some combination.

A couple years ago a friend bought a partially completed race car that had already been through several hands though never completed and run. If had a "professionally built" small block complete with a build sheet showing the parts, operations perfomed, weights and clearances, etc. Well, when he got it apart he found that ~1/2 the parts were cheap substitutes for what was on the build sheet and that basically nothing was assembled properly. Just the other day we were finally putting it back together and found that the cams bores are improperly aligned, so back to the machine shop for another $2-300 of machine work it goes.

However, as far as the specifics go regarding the experience with this company, I don't agree that including something as specific as needing a small base circle cam should be included in an ad. Unless they advertise it to the contrary (something like "accepts all standard components"), they have the right to assume you know something about assembling motors. Clearance problems are common and there are various ways to deal with them. It's not their responsibility to figure out what you know or don't know.

Beware of bargains.

Rich

Last edited by rskrause; 05-03-2007 at 06:48 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by rskrause
This logic applies to any engine. Everyone pays approximately the same price for parts. If an engine seems "too cheap", there are only a few possibilities. The parts are not what you think they are is a common one. Stuff left out is another. Work done in a shoddy fashion is the third. Or some combination.

A couple years ago a friend bought a partially completed race car that had already been through several hands though never completed and run. If had a "professionally built" small block complete with a build sheet showing the parts, operations perfomed, weights and clearances, etc. Well, when he got it apart he found that ~1/2 the parts were cheap substitutes for what was on the build sheet and that basically nothing was assembled properly. Just the other day we were finally putting it back together and found that the cams bores are improperly aligned, so back to the machine shop for another $2-300 of machine work it goes.

However, as far as the specifics go regarding the experience with this company, I don't agree that including something as specific as needing a small base circle cam should be included in an ad. Unless they advertise it to the contrary (something like "accepts all standard components"), they have the right to assume you know something about assembling motors. Clearance problems are common and there are various ways to deal with them. It's not their responsibility to figure out what you know or don't know.

Beware of bargains.

Rich
This actualy just happend to me, I had my engine built locally. They gave me the build sheet showing exactly everything that went into the engine...or so I thought. After I had the car for the break in, I noticed a weird ticking..so I had my buddys shop look into it. They found 4 bad lifters, STOCK ones from my OLD engine!!!! I go to find the guy that built it...he moved to Oregon..figures...anyways, you can get screwed by anyone no matter how far they are from you.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by FeelTheSpeed
This actualy just happend to me, I had my engine built locally. They gave me the build sheet showing exactly everything that went into the engine...or so I thought. After I had the car for the break in, I noticed a weird ticking..so I had my buddys shop look into it. They found 4 bad lifters, STOCK ones from my OLD engine!!!! I go to find the guy that built it...he moved to Oregon..figures...anyways, you can get screwed by anyone no matter how far they are from you.
the dude screwed you and booked it.

What a ****
Old 05-03-2007, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by KillWhitey
the dude screwed you and booked it.

What a ****
yeah and to make matters worse, I payed him to tune my car...he tells me he did, dyno sheet and everything. I think I even posted it on here. After we fixed everything at my buddies shop, we put it on his dyno and it mad about 45 less rwhp but about 15 more rwtq lol. Not to mention it didn't look like he did anything but maybe put my AF at around 12:1.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Frank95z
Streetwarrior per the ad allen motorsports is in Dallas. Hope that the guy in Houston that you talked to is not a scam. Frank95z
Yes Dallas my bad... I was thinking of soemting else... I've had the motor over a year already