LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

396 is Smoking alittle. Have ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2003, 11:28 AM

Location: Albuquerque,NM--5,600 feet above you sea-level cats
396 is Smoking alittle. Have ?'s

It does it when I blip the throttle, or after I run it hard it will smoke at idle. I replaced the intake gaskets and it's still doing it.
Then I did a leak down test on the motor, thinking it was the rings or valves. Every cyn was at 3-6%, tested at 90psi. Since it doesn't seem like the rings or valves, I was thinking maybe, the vavle guides or seals. What do you guy's think. There is a solid Roller cam in it, and the first 500 miles, I was having problems with valve lash(eating pushrods). My fault on that(not getting the polly locks tight enough). The motor has 1,400 miles on it now. It seems the smoking started when I had the pushrod problem. Since that is now fixed, I'm thinking the guides, because of the above mentioned problem I was having??? What do you guy's think???

Neal
Old 12-31-2003, 12:25 PM

What color is the smoke? Blue? White? Black?
Old 12-31-2003, 12:38 PM

I wish it was black, but it's white(oil).
Old 12-31-2003, 12:56 PM

smoke

i beleive white smoke is condesation or water blue smoke is oil
Old 12-31-2003, 12:56 PM

White is coolant. blue is oil, black is running rich. Is the block studded or did you use head bolts?
Old 12-31-2003, 01:02 PM

I didn't get any bubbles in and radiator when I did the leak down, and the car is not losing water. Oil, is not milky. The block is Studded.
Old 12-31-2003, 01:12 PM

The reason I asked if the block was studded is there is a recent thread about this type of problem with studded blocks. You might want to do a search on it. Everything that I have read is that studded blocks to leak a little bit, and that you should put a stopleak in it and it will stop it. I thought it was a BS fix to a bigger problem but there are a lot of people who do it and recomend it. Personally I have not had any experience with studded blocks, so I am only telling you what I have read.
Are you loosing any oil? How do your plugs look?
Old 12-31-2003, 01:27 PM

It was loosing oil because of the intake sucking oil out of the lifter valley(bad intake gaskets) The plugs looked real bad because of this. Oil was baked on them. That's fixed. When I pulled the pulgs for the leak down test there were no signs of oil. Plugs were black though, but from fuel. I'll try some stop leak in the oil and the radiator. If that dosen't do it, I will pull the heads and have them looked at. They are AFR 210's ported by GTP. I thought I heard on hear some where, that people were have smoking issues with there heads????

Neal
Old 12-31-2003, 01:29 PM

Is there enough room to pull the heads because of the studs, or am I going to have to pull the motor???
Old 12-31-2003, 01:32 PM

I think you'd have you drop or pull the engine. I could be wrong but there's almost no room in those engine bays. I dunno
Old 12-31-2003, 04:25 PM

I think youll be fine after a little more driving if your problems are fixed. In the first engine I every had built (406 Gen I) I had a problem with the roller rockers not staying locked. One come loose and the RR came off and the lifter poped out into the lifter valley. I had to remove intake and install everything back. It smoked only on that one side.

Thats why I like dual exhaust because you can see what each side is doing. With these camaro exhaust if one side smokes you really cant tell which side its coming from. That side smoked for a while and I thought I was gonna have to pull the engine.

The engine builder just told me to just drive it and the smoking would stop. It did. It just had to burn all the oil out it was loosing. I check the oil and it had use two quarts in 30 miles before I fixed everything. It hasnt burned oil since then six yrs ago.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:11 AM

What kind of rings did you go with? If ya went with chrome might be the prob.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:43 AM
Banned

If you have ARP's new studs then they will have little allen holes at the top of them so you can easily take them out with the engine inside of the car... I have heard from people getting their heads out with studs INSIDE the car WITH the studs still in place... I have never done it cause I always just pull the engine for something major

I will tell you this... On my last motor I pulled it was leaking coolant thru the studs because I didn't use a good type of thread sealant when I put the block together last time and they leaked like a ****... Just this last time I put the block together I used ARP Thread Sealant and they aren't leaking ONE TINY bit Mine wasn't actually leaking into the cylinders though, causing it to come out the pipes. It was just leaking out thru the tops of the studs causing dissappearing coolant.

Maybe you fugged up your head gaskets or something? Try doing a pressure test thru the radiator. They have a special tool that hooks to the top of the radiator fill holle and it then you pump it to like 18lbs or 16? I can't remember, it will say on the top of our caps. Then you can see if any coolant comes out anywhere. Or if the pressure guage starts slowly going down then it's leaking somewhere internally.
Old 01-01-2004, 12:46 AM
Banned

Originally posted by my94blackz
What kind of rings did you go with? If ya went with chrome might be the prob.
CHROME Piston rings Someone is drinking a lil too much tonight.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by InjectedSS
CHROME Piston rings Someone is drinking a lil too much tonight.
Where have you been? Never heard of Chromemoly piston rings?

Quick Reply: 396 is Smoking alittle. Have ?'s