LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

93Z With Opti problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 05:50 PM

Wink 93Z With Opti problems

Hello I have been going nuts trying to get the car to run right I had a dealer check for codes and it does not show any under a load engine sounds and runs like it is hitting on two clyinders at once spark knock and all, 3 months ago they changed the cap and rotor and it seemed to run good. ahter telling me the wires were arcing I changed them WoW what a job. It did not help and now they say the distributor is no good, the price for the new Disributor Is $450 , I found a company that refurbishs them for under $200 and is this the way to go? why is there no code? is this a common problem? any things I should know before changing the distributor like the splined drive shaft does it only go one way? Thanks for your help , MuscleZ
Old 10-19-2003, 09:15 PM

Cool

Welcome to the board,keep posting,but give more info i.e.
What plugs are you using?
What wires,ect.
Personally,I would hunt down a good F-Body mechanic in your area that you can take the car to,and drive out running strong.
Do this before you start to throw money in all directions.My02
My guess is that your water pump is leaking down onto the opti,thus causing nightmare problems like it did for me).Hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:18 PM

Re: 93Z With Opti problems

Originally posted by muscleZ
Hello I have been going nuts trying to get the car to run right I had a dealer check for codes and it does not show any under a load engine sounds and runs like it is hitting on two clyinders at once spark knock and all, 3 months ago they changed the cap and rotor and it seemed to run good. ahter telling me the wires were arcing I changed them WoW what a job. It did not help and now they say the distributor is no good, the price for the new Disributor Is $450 , I found a company that refurbishs them for under $200 and is this the way to go? why is there no code? is this a common problem? any things I should know before changing the distributor like the splined drive shaft does it only go one way? Thanks for your help , MuscleZ
A brief search for Jason Cromer will reveal that you can get a brand new optispark for under $270, not the advertised $450 that you're seeing.
Old 10-19-2003, 10:00 PM

I got a new opti for $280. Call Jason. Don't mess with rebuilding an opti.
I didn't have any codes when my opti quit.
It only goes one way. If you have to force it, it's wrong.
Don't forget to get water pump gaskets and it's a good idea to replace the o rings on the water pump drive shaft and the wp drive seal and the opti drive seal in the timing cover while you are there.