LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

94 guys.... questions about HOTCAM and OPTI!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 04:57 PM

94 guys.... questions about HOTCAM and OPTI!!

i have been doing a lot of research lately on doing a hotcam. i have a 94Z and the water pump is leaking on the opti, so its time to replace. i have done the opti job a few times and its no big deal. ive saved up some money and im ready for the hotcam. i have used the "search" feature and it has helped out some. my questions are just 94 specific....

i know i have the non-vented opti. i was wondering how many of you guys swapped to a 95+ opti when doing the cam?? is it really worth it?? what else beside the vented opti and wiring harnesses do i have to buy?

my next question i feel kind of stupid asking... but is the hotcam made for a 93/94 or 95+?? im just concerned about the dowel pin fitting. if i decide to swap to a 95+ opti will the hotcam be a direct fit?? hearing about people having to machine their cams and banging down pins kinda makes me nervous, making me think that im in over my head!!!

also i read about going with a new timing set. some people say yes, some say no. is there a different timing set for the 95+?? i didnt really want to put in a new one considering my car only has 18,000 miles on it. but if i need to in order to convert to a 95+ opti i will.

sorry so long but im just trying to get things figured out before i dive into the project. thanks for reading! i would REALLY appreciate any help from you guys!
Old 03-17-2003, 07:03 PM

First off, the hot cam is made for 95+ camaro so if you wanted to stick with a nonvented Opti you would have to punch in or cut the pin to fit.

Second, is it worth changing to a nonvented opti? There isnt a yes or no answer for this question. SOme people seem to have cars that eat opti's, tend to have alot of waterpump failures for those ppl i would say that converting to a vented opti would be a good idea. Also, if you plan on running a non stock timing chain like a cloyes or other i would also just convert over to a vented opti this would also involve getting a electric waterpump.

Anyways there are alot of posts on this subject just do a search, it will tell you what is needed and other pros and cons.

Just for your info i wish i had just went ahead and done the conversion to a vented opti when installing the hotcam, ive gone through 3 opti's in my car in a four year period even tho ive never had a leaking waterpump ( i dont know seems like alot of the nonvented opti's are just **** ?)!

Good luck to you tho
Old 03-18-2003, 06:19 PM

hey guys thanks for the info! im pretty sure im going to go ahead and swap to the vented opti. i figure i might as well while im in there.

Also, if you plan on running a non stock timing chain like a cloyes or other i would also just convert over to a vented opti this would also involve getting a electric waterpump.
just want to make sure this is true?? i thought i wouldnt HAVE to go with a electric water pump? i was thinking about going with the LT4 timing chain set. would i have to go with a electric water pump if i did? i was trying to stay away from them if possible.

hey poorman, thanks for the info. im going to send you a quick email, i have a few specific questions for you!

thanks again.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:20 PM

You relize that you need to update the timming chain cover as well the opti drive set up is way differant, the 94's use a small splined shaft that is driven by a plate that bolts onto the cam gear, the 95 and up drives off the dowel pin on the end of the cam and the cover has a large hole.
The 94 cover is also thinner and wont clear a extreme (LT-4) timming set. the lt4 timming set has the drive portion of the top gear so you can run the stock water pump. I just put a 95 together this last weekend.
other things you need in the conversion is the vaccome harness for the vented opti, this includes the 2 little check valves, you will also have to plumb the lines, one of witch goes into the intake elbow in front of the throttle body.
Good luck with what ever you decide to do!!
Old 03-18-2003, 08:28 PM

I just got a brand new complete Opti, its non vented so getting rid of all that stuff wouls sort of be a waste for me, any case in GMHTP they said a company now makes a timming chain for non vented cars.
Old 03-18-2003, 08:34 PM

You have mail "1995RedZ28"

"Neil350".....Do you know who makes that timing chain?? did they say it was any stronger than stock?? Thanks

Jeff D.

Last edited by PoorMan; 03-18-2003 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2003, 09:57 PM

Jeff sure dont bro, I want to say Comp but I'm not sure, it was in this months or last months issue. It was in the 2 part thunder chicken article.
Old 03-18-2003, 10:28 PM

Lightbulb

I stayed with my non-vented opti & used a new stock replacement timing set. I just never really had problems with my non vented opti to "Upgrade"

Didn't feel like spending more $$$ Ya know?
Old 03-18-2003, 10:37 PM

thxs neil350. I need to sub to that mag. They got good articles.

Jeff D.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:00 AM

i would like to save the money also and stay with the non-vented opti, but im just nervous about having to have the cam machined to fit!! it would be a lot easier to just keep my timing set, and timing cover seeing a how its got such low mileage.

Smokn '94 Z what did you have to do in order to get the cam to fit?? doesnt the dowel pin have to be longer?? anything else?

sorry so many stupid questions. im trying to to figure out which way i want to go. 95+ opti sounds better, but i hate to spend all the extra money when i pretty much have brand new parts already in the car! thanks again for all the info!
Old 03-19-2003, 12:42 AM

my 94 is good all the way to my rev limit on a daily basis 6300 with a 230 236 xe and 555 lift on stock cain and sprockets no problem 1 inch is about right and have only had one optispark in 180k miles. just do it
Old 03-19-2003, 06:46 AM

Here's everything needed for the swap.

http://para.noid.org/~muttvette/opti.html
Old 03-19-2003, 08:59 AM

Lightbulb

Originally posted by 1995redZ28
i would like to save the money also and stay with the non-vented opti, but im just nervous about having to have the cam machined to fit!! it would be a lot easier to just keep my timing set, and timing cover seeing a how its got such low mileage.

Smokn '94 Z what did you have to do in order to get the cam to fit?? doesnt the dowel pin have to be longer?? anything else?

sorry so many stupid questions. im trying to to figure out which way i want to go. 95+ opti sounds better, but i hate to spend all the extra money when i pretty much have brand new parts already in the car! thanks again for all the info!
1995redZ28. After I removed the stock cam I measured the stock dowl pin. Then I tapped the pin in on the Hot Cam to the size of the stocker. It was tight but it did go in. I think if you had a press it may be an easier way to shorten the pin. Put some pen oil on the pin before you tap it in. It will help. Go slow so you don't go in to far.

Good Luck
Old 03-19-2003, 11:13 AM

Another thing you can look into is Lingenfelter sells a kit to make you nonvented opti vented. It's reasonable and would work just as well.