LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

'94 Z-28 73k miles - Intake oil leak + oil fouled plug question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 06:26 PM

'94 Z-28 73k miles - Intake oil leak + oil fouled plug question?

Ok, this is the repair saga from hades...

It all started one night when my air conditioning compressor decided to seize.

Since it's winter (I was running the defroster) I decided that for now, I'd unplug the clutch and deal with it in the spring.

Jump forward a week, and there's a horrible grinding noise from the AC compressor. Turns out that when it seized, it also cooked the seals on the bearing, which lost it's grease and failed in sort order.

SO... I take out the compressor. The connection on the bottom of the condenser is stripped. I find gunk all through the system from the failed compressor. I curse and order everything except the evaporator, because I can flush that out.

While I'm waiting for parts I decide that the smog pump and it's associated plumbing has to go. I also notice that the weep hole on the water pump is seeping slightly. Since I like to upgrade instead of replace, I curse and order a Meziere electric water pump. I notice that the throttle body coolant lines have never been bypassed, so I put that in my plans.

So now I drain the coolant, pull the radiator and condenser, unbolt the smog pump and the water pump. While I'm under there I notice that the wires look mighty old. The plugs look kinda shady, too... Might as well replace them while I'm under there. While I'm at it I pull the stock oil cooler, too.

Next I pull the #7 plug and it's so oil fouled that I truly don't know how the hell it was firing.

I curse some more.

I start to investigate a bit, and find that the slight oil leak I had was from the rear of the intake manifold. When I check the bolts on the manifold they're loose.

I start to make sailors sound like choir boys.

I decide to pull the rest of the plugs on that side. #7 is as described as before, an oil fouled mess. #5 is oily too, but not as bad. #3 is passable, and #1 looks like a typical, in too long and slightly rich dark tan color.

That brings us to the present. I know I'm pulling the intake. But my further question is this: Is it possible that my problem with the oil fouled plugs is from the loose intake manifold? It seems likely to me but I never wrenched on an LT1 before. Older chevy motors yes, LT1 no.

Last edited by The_Bishop; 02-26-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:40 PM

Ya my LT1 did the same thing. Not this car but my 96 before it. Replace the gaskets and plugs.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:39 PM

look for oil in the intake runner of the head. if the bolts were loose it may have been sucking in oil from the lifter valley.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:18 AM

Well, looks like I'm pulling my intake off tomorrow... Can't start today, I'm working in the firehouse (24 hour shift).

Trying very hard to convince myself that I'm *not* ordering headers today... But those Pacesetter mid tubes look mighty tempting...
Old 02-27-2008, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by The_Bishop

Trying very hard to convince myself that I'm *not* ordering headers today... But those Pacesetter mid tubes look mighty tempting...
They are even more tempting on ebay from the seller exhaustit.
Good product, good seller, great price, and the headers ship directly from pacesetter.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:00 AM

Well, looks like I'm pulling my intake off tomorrow... Can't start today, I'm working in the firehouse (24 hour shift).

24 hour shift, you should treat yourself for all that hard work....
Old 02-27-2008, 09:50 AM

That's my regular work shift. 24 hours on duty, 72 hours off.

I couldn't find that seller on E-Bay.

And you guys are all bad influences.

Last edited by The_Bishop; 02-27-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:36 AM

Just try a search for the Pacesetter products, I have found plenty of their items on Ebay, at pretty good rates to.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:19 PM

Here Ya go!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-95...spagenameZWDVW
Old 02-27-2008, 12:42 PM

Thanks, Tex.

I'd like to thank all of you bad influences, as my headers, ARP header bolts and FelPro gaskets are on the way... Should be here friday, which leaves me tomorrow to R&R the intake manifold and pull the stock cast iron logs.

Ordered the Pacesetter Armor coated mids from Summit along with everything else. The price was within $1 of E-bay.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:52 PM

Since your on a role, you might as well order some 1.6 roller rocker arms and springs too.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:03 PM

Nah; I got a nice set of virgin '94 casting Vette heads that are going out to AI for porting with a matching cam and valvetrain.

Besides, you think I didn't think of that, too?!
Old 02-29-2008, 02:36 PM

I've been thinking... If I pull the intake and that's not the source of the oil leak (It's got to be, every bolt I can get a wrench on took about 1 full turn!) I might have to put on the other set of heads I have (1994 Corvette, 40k miles).

Any differences between the 1994 Corvette LT1 and the 1994 Camaro LT1?
Old 02-29-2008, 02:55 PM

Any differences between the 1994 Corvette LT1 and the 1994 Camaro LT1?
I doubt it, but if you machine them and get a valve job on them, you might notice a difference over the current, I'm assuming, high-millage heads. Even then I don't think it would be worth the effort, unless you know for sure the current heads are bad.

EDIT: I see your Z only has 73K, don't bother with the swap unless you're porting the extra set you have.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:48 PM

Well, when I originally obtained the second set of heads, it was expressly for the purpose of porting them and having the car still on the road while I did it. I can't see how the guides could be shot at 73k miles, I'm thinking it has to be the intake manifold because the bolts were so damn loose.

Quick Reply: '94 Z-28 73k miles - Intake oil leak + oil fouled plug question?