LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

'94 Z-28 73k miles - Intake oil leak + oil fouled plug question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 03:31 PM

Finally got the exhaust manifolds and Y pipe off today.

The good news is that my guides and seals appear to be just fine; There isn't a speck of buildup on the exhaust valves that would indicate that oil was getting in. In fact, there's only a light coating of carbon on the back of the valves and inside the ports, including the one that was getting oil fouled.

The bad news is that the intake manifold will have to wait for Monday; I'm beat from spending a couple of hours under the car twisted into odd positions getting the manifolds off. Man, what a pain! The drivers side was a piece of cake, but the passenger side... Well, I have a full compliment of busted knuckles but it's off.

Tomorrow I'm in the firehouse for a full 24 hours. Looks like I'm driving the wife's Achieva to work. I have a 54 mile commute (one way) and while I really like my '06 Dodge Power Wagon, the 14 miles per gallon is a bit rough on the pocket for commuting.

Monday I'll tackle the intake manifold with a clear head. I'm holding off on installing the headers until after I get the intake manifold off and inspect the intake gaskets and the intake valves to be completely sure I'm not pulling the heads off.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:29 AM

On one other note, I pulled all the plugs out of the motor in the process of removing the manifolds. Driver's side had Bosch Platinum +4 plugs (Gimmick junk; shrouds the spark too much) and the other side had AC Delco used-to-be platinums that were all missing the platinum buttons.

Nothing more amusing than Previous Owner repairs, sometimes.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by The_Bishop
On one other note, I pulled all the plugs out of the motor in the process of removing the manifolds. Driver's side had Bosch Platinum +4 plugs (Gimmick junk; shrouds the spark too much) and the other side had AC Delco used-to-be platinums that were all missing the platinum buttons.

Nothing more amusing than Previous Owner repairs, sometimes.
Maybe their budget fell short, they couldn't afford the other four.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:05 PM

Or they looked at the passenger side and said, "Wow, that looks hard, screw that!"
Old 03-02-2008, 03:24 PM

I bet it was option B...
Old 03-02-2008, 03:49 PM

I think this is the only car I ever had that installing headers made it *easier* to change plugs. Go figure.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:11 PM

Installing plugs with headers is a breeze. Worst part is removing the starter. Overall, its a very quick procedure though.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
Installing plugs with headers is a breeze. Worst part is removing the starter. Overall, its a very quick procedure though.
Getting cracked in the face with the y-pipe was the fun part for me once I got it undone. It doesn't look like it weighs that much... I had no problems with the starter, just busted the two bolts loose with a breaker bar.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:58 PM

The cast iron manifold on the passenger side fell on my hand when I pulled the last bolt out from under the car. Felt like getting my knuckles rapped with a hammer. I said a few choice words, none of which I could repeat in front of my daughter.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:25 PM

This is what the inside of a 14 year old, 75000 mile Optispark looks like.
Scary thing is, it worked just fine... considering that the rest of the ignition system was beat to hell. Plugs were worn out and mismatched. Plug wires were so old they were actually cracking a bit.

Yes, that is a bunch of rust particles you see there on the white cardboard. Fell out when I opened it up.

The bearings feel nice and gritty, too.

My new AC Delco replacement is on the way from thepartsladi on Ebay, should be here Friday.

Let's see... New AC Compressor, new (electric) water pump, new Optispark... Only old accesory is the alternator. But that works fine and doesn't make any noise. (For now...)

At least that's easy to access and change.

Last edited by The_Bishop; 03-04-2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:13 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Did you need any special tools to get your optispark apart? I would like to disassemble my original opti. I bought an E4 torx socket and got the cap off, but never got the rest of it apart. I didn't mess with it too much, but it looked like there were some hard to get to screws or bolts remaining once I got the cap off.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:25 PM

Well, looks like I'm pulling my intake off tomorrow... Can't start today, I'm working in the firehouse (24 hour shift).

Trying very hard to convince myself that I'm *not* ordering headers today... But those Pacesetter mid tubes look mighty tempting...
i would have went with the LT headers i have seen those pacesetters crack left and right and leak bad!!
Old 03-04-2008, 05:27 PM

This is what the inside of a 14 year old, 75000 mile Optispark looks like.
Scary thing is, it worked just fine... considering that the rest of the ignition system was beat to hell. Plugs were worn out and mismatched. Plug wires were so old they were actually cracking a bit.

Yes, that is a bunch of rust particles you see there on the white cardboard. Fell out when I opened it up.

The bearings feel nice and gritty, too.

My new AC Delco replacement is on the way from thepartsladi on Ebay, should be here Friday.

Let's see... New AC Compressor, new (electric) water pump, new Optispark... Only old accesory is the alternator. But that works fine and doesn't make any noise. (For now...)

At least that's easy to access and change.
wow im surprised that was running at all! i have seen cleaner optis run horrible or not at all but that one is nasty!
time for the 95 opti conversion while you are there!
Old 03-04-2008, 06:48 PM

I just did a quick search for 'pacesetter crack' and got nothing, so point me at a few of these problems?

Originally Posted by AHARTZ28
i would have went with the LT headers i have seen those pacesetters crack left and right and leak bad!!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:22 PM

i see them crack at the welds on the flanges. this was a few years back i have read that they have improved the quality though...
i would recomend the long tubes over the mids...and coated

Quick Reply: '94 Z-28 73k miles - Intake oil leak + oil fouled plug question?