LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

94 z28 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2019, 06:36 PM

94 z28 turbo

I have inquired through this site before about which route I should take.
I have a stock 94 z28, and the only thing I know about it is that the transmission was rebuilt probably my around 15k miles ago now, and they straight piped the exhaust. They said they put corvette heads on it, but that means nothing to me unless they improved them in some way. And so far I have only replaced the optispark waterpump plugs and wires, and put a new set of tires on it.
I want this to stay my daily driver, but be somewhere around 10-11 seconds in the 1/4 mile, right now it sits at 6.5 0-60 and 14.4 1/4 mile.
I want this to be my get to and from car, but when a mustang pulls up I can slap his family name with disrespect lol.
I have a spare lt1 in my carport and a set of ported heads that I know nothing about, they belonged to a friend that was building an impala. I plan to bring the engine to a local engine shop and have the cylinders bored 0.030 over and I need to know whether stroking it to 383, or leaving it at 355 would be better with a turbo. I would like to know what head components, pistons and rings, injectors, and what turbo would be best to get around 400hp at the flywheel. And obviously any other components I should bare in mind. I'm sure it would need to be flashed and tuned as well. I would also like to get long tube stepper headers, if anyone has any links to a set of those as well, if not I'm sure theres a custom header shop somewhere around me.
I plan on keeping everything else stock until it either blows up or I have the money to replace it. I am starting a manager position at the end of the month and will be doubling my income.
I want to get at least c5 brakes and 17 inch rims, but if anyone has any links to cheaper c6 brakes and 18 inch rims bigger is always better, especially when it comes to braking power.
I also want a stout rear end, whether I can find a cheap Ford 9 inch (may go to pull a part and see if their are any there).
Thanks everyone, I am new to building cars, but I am a trained naval engineer so I can do the work, just don't know the holistic standpoint from what I want to do.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Re: 94 z28 turbo

You can easily make 400 HP at the flywheel on a 350/355 stock(ish) bottom end, with mildly ported stock heads, and a daily driver friendly cam. You don’t need the complications of a turbo or any other power adder, nor the cost of a stroker. Just get a set of Pacesetter 1-3/4” long tubes. No need for stepped primaries. Corvette LT1 heads are identical to F-Body LT1 heads.

http://elliottsportworks.com/

On the other hand, you aren’t going to be cutting 10-second 1/4-miles with 400 HP, unless you can get the weight down to about 3,000#.

With the auto trans, the stock 10-bolt can handle that power level, with a few tweaks. No need for the Ford 9-inch's heavy weight, high drivetrain losses, and complications of offset (to one side and lower) pinion centerline.

Last edited by Injuneer; 08-18-2019 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You can easily make 400 HP at the flywheel on a 350/355 stock(ish) bottom end, with mildly ported stock heads, and a daily driver friendly cam. You don’t need the complications of a turbo or any other power adder, nor the cost of a stroker. Just get a set of Pacesetter 1-3/4” long tubes. No need for stepped primaries. Corvette LT1 heads are identical to F-Body LT1 heads.

http://elliottsportworks.com/

On the other hand, you aren’t going to be cutting 10-second 1/4-miles with 400 HP, unless you can get the weight down to about 3,000#.

With the auto trans, the stock 10-bolt can handle that power level, with a few tweaks. No need for the Ford 9-inch's heavy weight, high drivetrain losses, and complications of offset (to one side and lower) pinion centerline.
I've heard that before, how the head work and cam selection can easily bring power. What would a smaller turbo bring the power up to, out of curiosity?
My girlfriends build is consisting of the lt1 already stroked to 383 that the dummy before her put too much of the sealant when assembling it, and it gunked the whole thing up so he basically gave it to her with everything he had done to it. But she is putting a ford 9 inch pulled from a firebird that was being raced, and she's got the manual transmission, and she's putting lt4 heads and intake and a turbo on it and I don't even know how much power she is expecting. But I'm sure it's a lot.

What all can I do to know what has been done with the set of heads I have? Just measure the diameter of the holes lol? I want to know if I would be good with them, or minor modifications of them, or if I should just go ahead and send my stock set of heads and intake and get a custom cam from lloyd or a local shop?
Old 08-18-2019, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What all tweaks would you be referring to? From my understanding the only issue with them is the housing detonates under high horsepower.

I do want this to be my every day car. The interior was redone, a new dash installed, a fresh coat of paint pulled from the Lamborghini list (gray and blue mixture) and a pretty nice stereo system was installed. So it is a very nice car, although it needs a new compressor for the AC to work, but I have honestly been enjoying driving with the windows down. It is a hard top, whereas the 3 other z28s my girlfriend has are all t-tops, so I can't truly ride in style Haha.
So I want to have a powerful build for the occasional red light race/40 roll, yet a strong enough cam and parts for it to be driven daily as well.
And P.S. I just drove a playful 1/4 mile on my way home late at night after work on an empty straight road and broke my old record, fully stock 25 year old lt1 with 203k miles on it, 5.7 second 0-60 and 14.3 second 1/4 mile. Not impressive at all, but fun nonetheless.