LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

94z. Fuel,air,fire. Still wont start!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 05:27 PM

94z. Fuel,air,fire. Still wont start!

Car has been sitting for 4years. Car was running great and died in driveway at idle. I couldnt get it to fire so i figured it was time for the opti and a tune up. 2 kids and 4 years later i have finally got to it. Dumped the fuel and filter, changed the opti(making sure the gear lined up about 4 times so far), new coil,icm, plugs and wires. I have 44 psi at the rail and the injectors are squirting fuel. Plugs are also firing. I shot a little starting fluid into the throttle body and still no fire while turning over, when i returned the key to the on position it started to diesel and white smoke came out the throttle body. I have not done a compression test. The car was running great when it died. It doesnt make sense and i am confused. Please HELP!
Old 03-13-2011, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

Re: 94z. Fuel,air,fire. Still wont start!

Check that compression and get back to us. I'm guessing head gasket.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:50 PM

She is alive! I turned it over 5 seconds at a time so the starter wouldnt burn out. The car was sputtering and dieseling after every time then would stop. on the 15th try it fired up and stayed running. Fuel pressure was at 35 while running. I shut it off and she fired up and stayed running on all cylinders. I quickly threw the radiator and fans in. After that the car started everytime last night. Went to start it today and it is sputtering and dieseling like before. Fuel pressure reads 44psi when it primes then drops to 38 after the pump stops. when i am in start it reads 44psi until it fires. After sitting for 20 min it is now at 26psi. I am thinking fuel related.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:28 PM

water could be present.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:55 PM

Check the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator for any signs of liquid fuel. They can be a little tough to catch leaking.
Also the car sat without running for several years. The injectors may be a little sticky or clogged. Don't over complicate things. Get the engine running and see what happens.
Dropping to 26psi could be the injectors dripping. Seems a little more believable to me based on how hard the engine is to start after it sits for a while and why it fires right up after you shut it off and restart right away.
I'm guessing that if it hasn't run in 4 years you don't have plates and insurance on it at the moment.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:59 PM

I drained the tank and changed the fuel filter. The fuel that was in there smelled like nail polish. I ran the car last night enough to get the fresh fuel threw the lines.
I have been reading the hard start posts from the search site. i love the fact that people put on the problem they are having,then never post what solved it. i just read 12 pages on a hard start post and the guy was arguing with the people trying to help him. just didnt make sense to me. thank u for the help. i will double check the fuel.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:13 PM

no plates or ins. i just pulled the fuel rail and checked for fuel leaking from injectors with key on. i didnt see any fuel dripping from any injectors. is there a way to take the injectors off and clean them? i pulled the vacumm line from the fuel reg and didnt find any fuel. i did notice my fuel gauge pinned past the full mark and the check gauges light was on last night while running. no check engine light on. possible fuel check valve? The pressure doesnt fall off that fast but does fall. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:58 PM

The check gauges light is a signal to check the dash gauges to see if any have an odd reading.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:24 PM

The pinned over full gas gauge is probably what's turning on the "Check Gauges" light. Unless you pulled the tank to drain the gas, I can't explain why the gauge is pinned past full. The tests are pretty easy to determine if it's a gauge problem or the sending unit in the tank. How did you drain the tank?
Is it getting easier to start, about the same, or getting worse? Does it still seem to run smooth? No check engine light is definitly a great thing. Throw some injector cleaner in and let it run at 1,500rpm for 30 minutes. That's about what it would run cruising down the road.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Granite00
The pinned over full gas gauge is probably what's turning on the "Check Gauges" light. Unless you pulled the tank to drain the gas, I can't explain why the gauge is pinned past full. The tests are pretty easy to determine if it's a gauge problem or the sending unit in the tank. How did you drain the tank?

Is it getting easier to start, about the same, or getting worse? Does it still seem to run smooth? No check engine light is definitly a great thing. Throw some injector cleaner in and let it run at 1,500rpm for 30 minutes. That's about what it would run cruising down the road.
No. The fuel doesn't set a check gauges light at either end of the scale....
Old 03-16-2011, 06:48 PM

I pulled the fuel filter off and drained the tank by pumping it out with the fuel pump. i put 12v to the wire near the pcm. i will run the injector cleaner. How much fuel should be in the tank when i add the cleaner? is there a brand better than the other?
Old 03-16-2011, 06:59 PM

Doubt it's going to help

http://www.bgprod.com/products/fuelair.html

If anything will work this will.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:33 PM

[autostream]http://autostream.com/camaroz28/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=533&t ransactionid=1300322035-24153190194&posted_by=chevy_dude97_camaroz28.com[/autostream]
Old 03-16-2011, 07:36 PM

[autostream]http://autostream.com/camaroz28/?page_type=firebirdplayerthumbnail&framepage=534&t ransactionid=1300322218-24153190194&posted_by=chevy_dude97_camaroz28.com[/autostream]
Old 03-17-2011, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Eski94z
I pulled the fuel filter off and drained the tank by pumping it out with the fuel pump. i put 12v to the wire near the pcm. i will run the injector cleaner. How much fuel should be in the tank when i add the cleaner? is there a brand better than the other?

44K is good stuff and so is seafom and techron. Remember any crud loosend by the cleaner could wind up in your filter and the filters in the injectors. Did you flush out the fuel lines? Might be a good idea to send them in to be cleaned and tested, or just replaced. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: 94z. Fuel,air,fire. Still wont start!