LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

95 Caprice LT1(?) into 97 Camaro SS???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 07:26 PM

95 Caprice LT1(?) into 97 Camaro SS???

First of all I did do a search, but some questions had no definitive answers.

My 97SS has 140k and has several oil leaks, so I figured it would be a good time for a rebuild. I found a caprice and I can get the complete engine for $230.

1. I am pretty sure it is an LT1.
The sticker says:
YAX
5.7 Liter
S1G5.7V8GAEA
S1G1058AYP0F

Head casting numbers:

Numbers on the side of the block:

2. I have heard that I might have to change the knock sensor, I might have to change the timing cover/reluctor ring/crank sensor, I might have to change the cam? But no definitive yes or no's.

3. I have heard the the iron heads flow slightly better than the aluminum, if I keep the iron heads and stay with a 97 camaro cam, will I need tuning?

4. I know I am putting an older engine in, which technically "illegal" for smog, but if I keep all the OBDII sensors and what not, and the test only shop is not looking at casting numbers, then I should be fine right?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
Old 03-22-2008, 09:31 PM

you should be just fine. just swap everything you want to keep on it.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:40 AM

Shouldnt the '95 caprice motor be OBDII or was that '96 when they changed it? My Formula has a Caprice LT1 in it. The previous owner threw a rod in the original motor because he didnt upgrade the the springs and retainers with the CC305 cam he put in. Its kind of a headache. He changed it so it could use the '95+ vented opti. so i have no idea what all he did, if anything to calibrate it with the computer.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:55 AM

Are you sure the iron heads flow better than the alum heads? Something doesn't seem right about that. Anyways, if you end up running the iron heads, remember you can't run as high of a CR as you can with aluminum. I think the general rule is 1pt lower CR for iron.

Why you don't take the caprice motor and build the bottom end (including a small cam), then swap your heads on and any other misc parts that you might need.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
Are you sure the iron heads flow better than the alum heads? Something doesn't seem right about that. Anyways, if you end up running the iron heads, remember you can't run as high of a CR as you can with aluminum. I think the general rule is 1pt lower CR for iron.

Why you don't take the caprice motor and build the bottom end (including a small cam), then swap your heads on and any other misc parts that you might need.
i heard on here that the iron heads flow better but the difference in power between the 2 motors is the cam and exhaust
Old 03-23-2008, 06:25 AM

Power Steering Pump
AC Compressor & rear bracket
front accessory bracket
few things on intake man. are different
coolant sen./oil sen./a few wiring differences
cam/heads/tune
motor mount setup including engine brackets
hoses etc

basically use all the external parts from your fbody lt1 on the bbody lt1
Old 03-23-2008, 08:17 AM

Don't get so worked up over the power difference. Guys are failing to consider grandpa quiet intake with 3" MAF and 87 octane tuning. Give both motors boltons and they make similar peak numbers though guys say SOTP the b-body still retains a little more lowend torque below rpms where dyno testing is done.

I really wonder if the f-body/Vette cam had it's lowend taken away to save your glass axle rather than the b-body got the "detuned" version. I base this on the fact that in bolton trim both motors make similar peak numbers.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:27 PM

I know all the externals are different, I am more interested in the internals. The motor I am picking up will be a long block with intake manifold, TB, and exhaust manifolds. The oil pan is cracked in several places, I don't know why. But I am planning on putting the 95 motor on a stand and ripping it apart, I will send the parts to be machined if reusable. Then I will gather parts and rebuild it. I guess I will be swapping the reluctor ring/timing cover/cps to OBD2. I will also put a different cam in there, most like a stock camaro cam...I only wish I knew what could be put in and still pass cali emissions. Regardless of cam I will be putting in new rockers and springs, shorties, and a new catback.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:32 PM

snake eyes

I pulled the motor out. I removed the oil pan... Looked like a grenade went off inside. I found several pieces of connecting rods and mains in the bottom of the pan. The crank was scarred all over and the block had chips in it everywhere. Needless to say I didn't take it. I'm gonna keep my eyes out for another longblock.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:45 PM

Is your car your daily driver? What are your goals with the car? Are you thinking max power while still being able to pass emissions? A LE1 should be able to pass, but to be sure get in contact with him.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:27 PM

I vanpool to work as of right now. I drive it on weekends. I want to get more power out of it, not max it out. I was thinking supercharger or turbocharger. I will look into the LE1 though, to see if it will pass smog. I'll cross my fingers.
Old 03-23-2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I vanpool to work as of right now. I drive it on weekends. I want to get more power out of it, not max it out. I was thinking supercharger or turbocharger. I will look into the LE1 though, to see if it will pass smog. I'll cross my fingers.
I know Lloyd can do an emissions passing head/cam set up. You could even get away with an otherwise stock bottom end rebuild. Scat 9000 crank, your rods redone and summit has a Forged kit for about $500 which has bearings, rings ,forged pistons, etc. For the price of the supercharger or turbo, you could easily redo your motor.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Roxy
Kind of OT, but is a lighter car more likely to break a rear?
LT1 b-bodies got 8.5" rear not the 7.5" POS. The 30 sline 8.5" stock after '89 is as strong as a 12 bolt.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
LT1 b-bodies got 8.5" rear not the 7.5" POS. The 30 sline 8.5" stock after '89 is as strong as a 12 bolt.
and let me guess, they are not compatable with the Fbodies?
Old 03-23-2008, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr

I really wonder if the f-body/Vette cam had it's lowend taken away to save your glass axle rather than the b-body got the "detuned" version. I base this on the fact that in bolton trim both motors make similar peak numbers.
Doesnt the b-body LT1 make more torque than the F-body LT1? I recall the numbers for the F-body LT1 being 275hp/325tq and the Caprice LT1 being 260hp/330tq

Quick Reply: 95 Caprice LT1(?) into 97 Camaro SS???