LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

95 pcm harness wiring gauge

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 11:26 AM

Question 95 pcm harness wiring gauge

So what gauge is the wiring for the injectors, IAC, VSS and low oil sensor? Or if anyone has a chart for all the gauges in our harness that would be great. But those are the ones that are bad on my car. The reason I ask is because I'm pretty sure that if the wiring in your repair is a different gauge of wire then the harness the resistance changes and the pcm gets weird readouts correct? Any help is appreciated. Also where could I get this wire? Radioshack?

When I got my ewp the 30th I ordered a painless warning light with it. I wired it into the power side of the pump so when the pump is on the light is on so I know of any failures. But my question is will an 18ga wire run that light from the relay under the hood to next to my a/c controls in the car?

Thanks in advance

-Mark
Old 08-03-2008, 12:23 PM

Anyone??
Old 08-03-2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by bowtiekid
Anyone??
Less than an hour is an inadequate time to wait for responses. Read the TTT abuse sticky at the top of the forum.

Injectors are 20 ga.

IAC, oil level and VSS are 22 ga.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:40 PM

My bad. I was close tho. 3 minutes. lol

Where would be the best place to buy this wire that would make a good repair? Also does it matter if some injecotor harnesses are longer than others on the same bank? will that cause any effects?

Thanks

-Mark

Last edited by bowtiekid; 08-03-2008 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:00 PM

NAPA or any auto supply store should have wire. I prefer solder and heatshrink tubing on my repairs. A little bit of wire length difference is not going to hurt anything.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:07 PM

Ok.

So dont use wire from radioshack or anything? And i know that part, I always solder and heatshrink.

Thanks

-Mark
Old 08-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by bowtiekid
My bad. I was close tho. 3 minutes. lol

Where would be the best place to buy this wire that would make a good repair? Also does it matter if some injecotor harnesses are longer than others on the same bank? will that cause any effects?
Not close at all. The "sticky" at the top of the page indicates that you should not TTT until 24 hours has passed.

Radio Shack wire will be fine. As long at the 'patch' is equal to, or a larger size (smaller gage) than the piece of wire it replaced, you will not have any problems. It does not matter if the injector wires are varying lengths. The injector function is simply a ground from the PCM to allow 12V to activate the injector. The circuit is drawing about 1 amp. A minor change in the resistance will not affect anything.

Just as important as the gage and quality of the wire is the qualtiy of the splice, and how carefully you protect the splice. Shrink wrap is always a good idea.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:10 PM

I know I read the sticky after that post. lol

Alright, i have soldering and heatshrinking everything so i hope i dont have any problems. the wiring is all starting to decay at the connectors. So im trying to fix everything before its running again. Also wheres the best place to ground the battery from the trunk?

While were on the topic of electric I have another question. Everytime Im at the track and I shift from 1 to 2 (auto) it wants to hit rev limiter but it shouldnt go up that high if its an auto. And i do know that I have a cracked coil (delteq) would that be the cause of this??

Thanks

-Mark

P.S. Sorry for all the questions but im learning
Old 08-04-2008, 07:33 PM

With regards to your wiring question, I tend to prefer txl wire especially if you are making repairs with long leads. Injectors are 18 gage, oil level is 22 gage, VSS is 22 gage, and IAC is 22 gage. Hope this helps
Old 08-04-2008, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by juced211s
With regards to your wiring question, I tend to prefer txl wire especially if you are making repairs with long leads. Injectors are 18 gage, oil level is 22 gage, VSS is 22 gage, and IAC is 22 gage. Hope this helps
All my GM service manuals say the injector wires are 20 ga. (as I already posted along with the other wire gauges).
Old 08-05-2008, 06:13 AM

That is intersesting. My service manuals say .8mm which is 18gage.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:49 AM

That is intersesting. My service manuals say .8mm which is 18gage.
Hmm... 4 different Helms manuals I have all say .5mm which is 20 ga.

(seen in this schematic on my website)
Old 08-05-2008, 09:04 AM

Can you send me your email address, I will email you the sheet (Helms Manual), for some reason I cannot post attachments (probably because I am a Newbie). By the way, mine is from a b-body which could be the difference, not sure why though since the lengths arent that different.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:33 AM
Administrator

Can you send me your email address, I will email you the sheet (Helms Manual), for some reason I cannot post attachments (probably because I am a Newbie). By the way, mine is from a b-body which could be the difference, not sure why though since the lengths arent that different.
No one can post attachments.
Old 08-06-2008, 05:50 AM

Thanks. But that just stinks.

Quick Reply: 95 pcm harness wiring gauge