LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

96 lt4 in 95 bird...parts and fittment issue...

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 01:05 PM

96 lt4 in 95 bird...parts and fittment issue...

Well im being closer and closer to put my new engine in my car.I ve bought this engine, Its a remanufacture 96 lt4 vette crate engine: http://paceperformance.com/index.asp...D&ProdID=43322

Well i got to admit that i ve read a lot and try to make my preparation the best that i can but...

I realize that each and every day i find new possible fittment and install issue (yep i feel pretty dumb) so is there any member(im sure there is a ton) here that got enough knowledge to tell me what parts will i need to change or need to install this engine in my f-body.

Well here is a list of what i ve got and think will work but feel free to help me in each department:

-Trans department: im installing a stock lt1 flywheel that has been freshly cut with a new Ram hdx clutch kit and a new poly trans mount.I will keep my master cylinder since it has less then 6000miles on it.I dont think that there will be any issue with those parts.

Front accessories:The water pump,opti,power steering pump,alternator,A/C delete pulley,crank hub,asp 23% damper,msd coil should fit fine in the f-body configuration...

Sensors:I will have to replug the egr since lt4 dont use it,i will have to cancel one knock sensor since the lt4 use 2,i figured out that the rest of the sensor should fit at the same place since its the same block...

Intake:the stock fuel rail.tb,new 32lbs injectors,pcv should fit fine on the lt4 intake wich is a simple lt1 knock off with raise ports...

Misc: The poly motor mount,exhaust parts should fit fine.The pcm has been tune by Ion for the new engine specs.

What about the oil pan,can i keep the lt4 oil pan or do i need to put the lt1 on it.Same thing with the oil dipstick and tube?

Feel free to comments,help,changes info that are wrong.I was really confident in the beginning but realize that i really need some help.

Thanks it really appreciated.

Eric

Thank you
Old 01-11-2007, 01:26 PM

I would check with them to see what oil pan (if any) it comes with. If it comes with a vette pan, you will probalby need to use your old one. Maybe they could send it to you with an f-body pan. I also doubt it will have any knock sensors on it. Use your old one. Same goes for the dipstick and tube.
Old 01-11-2007, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
I would check with them to see what oil pan (if any) it comes with. If it comes with a vette pan, you will probalby need to use your old one. Maybe they could send it to you with an f-body pan. I also doubt it will have any knock sensors on it. Use your old one. Same goes for the dipstick and tube.
For the knock sensor i will use the stock one and the stock bloc drain plug for the other side.

So what i ve read was right,since the vette has a different "k" member ,i need to use the f-body one.Ok good ill send them a email to know wich one come with the engine,i probably sure that there gonna tell me its a lt4 vette oil pan...

If i must use the f-body oil pan,then its pretty logic that i use the oil tube and dipstick.

12557557 is the good p/n for the oil pan?

Is there any gasket between the pan and the dipstick tube? If yes whats the p/n?

Since you didnt point any other problem,i should be fine with the rest in term of fittement?

Thank you
Old 01-12-2007, 08:48 AM

So,Is there any gasket between the pan and the dipstick tube? If yes whats the p/n?
Old 01-12-2007, 10:40 AM

Seems like you got everything. You can get a hotcam for $200 new or $100 used for added power and you wouldn't have to change anything. BTW when I talked to Pace about that crate engine they told me it was new not remanufactured.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by bhop42
Seems like you got everything. You can get a hotcam for $200 new or $100 used for added power and you wouldn't have to change anything. BTW when I talked to Pace about that crate engine they told me it was new not remanufactured.

Yeah i know Mark from Pace also told me that its was a new engine(not remanufactured) but someone on this board told me that gm didnt produce any NEW lt4 crate engine and the motor that i ve bought is a"remanufacture engine"...So now i always wrote this and everyone is happy

It would be a good idea to change the cam but im looking to run the engine exactly like this wich is not so bad since its already 55hp more then my blown stock lt1.Also with all the bolts ons and the tune it will be fun has hell.Im not tired of changing parts but right now the only untouched part left is the tranny...everything else has been change, everything.So i will try to relax a bit

So,Is there any gasket between the pan and the dipstick tube? If yes whats the p/n?

Thanks

Last edited by always faster; 01-12-2007 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by always faster
No. The dipstick tube fits into the block. Just a dab of RTV on it before it goes in.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
No. The dipstick tube fits into the block. Just a dab of RTV on it before it goes in.

Cool thanks i didnt know that

Thanks a lot with all those small detail im think that im ready for my first motor swap.I hope that i will gain a lot of experience and confidence with this engine change

Thank you
Old 01-13-2007, 01:10 AM

I do have one question for you. Do you know or can you measure the rocker arm stud diameter? I know the original Lt4 heads had 10MM studs and the aftermarket heads are 3/8. I am also thinking about getting that engine and could use the roller rockers that come with it if I can make them adjustable by using 3/8 polylocks instead of the nuts that comes with it.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:26 AM

I do have one question for you. Do you know or can you measure the rocker arm stud diameter? I know the original Lt4 heads had 10MM studs and the aftermarket heads are 3/8. I am also thinking about getting that engine and could use the roller rockers that come with it if I can make them adjustable by using 3/8 polylocks instead of the nuts that comes with it.
Slightly confused by this post..
'I am also thinking about getting that engine and could use the roller rockers that come with it if I can make them adjustable by using 3/8 polylocks'
[getting what engine? I thought you bought the LT4 crate motor..]
To answer the question the 10MM LT4 studs have a shoulder on them.. and you torque the lock nuts down to a preset preload..
Doesn't the LT4 crate engine come with the RR's already?[with the 10MM studs]It should..
You can use the 3/8 studs in the LT4 heads.. the lower threads are the same..
Can you just use the 3/8 locks on the 10MM studs? No.. [different thread size]
I'd leave what comes on it,especially since you 'don't want to change anything'
Old 01-13-2007, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mtrhds94Z
Slightly confused by this post..
'I am also thinking about getting that engine and could use the roller rockers that come with it if I can make them adjustable by using 3/8 polylocks'
[getting what engine? I thought you bought the LT4 crate motor..]
To answer the question the 10MM LT4 studs have a shoulder on them.. and you torque the lock nuts down to a preset preload..
Doesn't the LT4 crate engine come with the RR's already?[with the 10MM studs]It should..
You can use the 3/8 studs in the LT4 heads.. the lower threads are the same..
Can you just use the 3/8 locks on the 10MM studs? No.. [different thread size]
I'd leave what comes on it,especially since you 'don't want to change anything'
I hope you realize thats its not me who ask the question Its bhop42.

I already know that the engine come with gm(made by crane)1.6 roller rocker and i will not chnage them.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:33 PM

Always faster, I was asking you because you actually have the Lt4 engine. The lt4 engine originally had 10MM rocker studs with shoulders making them none adjustable. The aftermarket heads have 3/8 non-shouldered studs and with polylocks they are adjustable. Just trying to see which ones they came with.
Old 01-13-2007, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by always faster
I hope you realize thats its not me who ask the question Its bhop42.

I already know that the engine come with gm(made by crane)1.6 roller rocker and i will not chnage them.
That explains it! I had just woke up .. on a night job this week..
No harm done, the answer is still relevent to the thread..

bhop: I dont know for sure which studs they come with now...
Old 01-13-2007, 09:15 PM

Always faster, I was asking you because you actually have the Lt4 engine. The lt4 engine originally had 10MM rocker studs with shoulders making them none adjustable. The aftermarket heads have 3/8 non-shouldered studs and with polylocks they are adjustable. Just trying to see which ones they came with.
I dont know because i still dont got the engine yet.Its all paid but i ve schedule the delivery for april since right now my car is stored and i dont got the time and place to do the motor change.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:20 PM

Look what I found. http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...s=false&N=+115

Quick Reply: 96 lt4 in 95 bird...parts and fittment issue...