LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

97 M6 dynoed today!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 03:47 PM

Originally posted by 95z28 -quicksilver
Am i the only one who thinks that there is a pretty big discrepency between the Hp an torque????

Chris
I think so acording to everbodys elses post. If you refering to the post above yours keep in mind to get an acurate Tq # with a A4 the converter needs to be locked up or it will read higher #s than norm. Converters are TQ multipliers.
Old 04-27-2003, 04:09 PM

I dont have a stall converter yet. I still have the stocker which locks up mighty low. there was no spike in my tq curve. He didnt start sampling til like 23 or 2400 I believe. he was actually impressed with my tq numbers as well. the best was 330 even but all the other runs were consistently in the high 320s. I seen what you are talking about though. The guy that dynoed mine has a 2800 Vigilante and at the beginning of his tq curve there is a huge spike. he called it converter flash. My tq lines were really smooth.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:25 PM

Originally posted by JaysDropTopTA
I dont have a stall converter yet. I still have the stocker which locks up mighty low. there was no spike in my tq curve. He didnt start sampling til like 23 or 2400 I believe. he was actually impressed with my tq numbers as well. the best was 330 even but all the other runs were consistently in the high 320s. I seen what you are talking about though. The guy that dynoed mine has a 2800 Vigilante and at the beginning of his tq curve there is a huge spike. he called it converter flash. My tq lines were really smooth.
Very Impressed!! Those are great #s for an A4 car. I guess their is allways a handfull of cars like yours in every batch of Gm products.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by firepheasent
Very Impressed!! Those are great #s for an A4 car. I guess their is allways a handfull of cars like yours in every batch of Gm products.
Do you cruise up and down ritchie every weekend? We live 15 mins from each other. Good dyno numbers!
Old 04-27-2003, 10:26 PM

my old 96 with a SLP catback and Moroso did
266 and 300 TQ

so thats good, mine was considered strong and had 66k miles on it, i have yet to dyno my 97

will at atlanta
Old 04-27-2003, 10:33 PM

Thumbs up

Those are some nice numbers!
Your post makes me smile because I've never dynoed my car, but I may not be too far behind.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by IllusionalTA
Depending on the headers to be honest.. If we are talking about dynomax headers then yes 10 is be expected but w/ a bigger shorty like the slp i thinkyou should be closer to the 20hp mark..
Theres been a lot of people showing that with a stock to mildly modded engine, shorty headers and LT headers are worth pretty much the same. The LT's only start kicking in when you get up there in power (450RWHP ? )

One example of this: the fastest bolt on LT1 in the GM High Tech Performance shootout was using probably the worst design shorty header: Edelbrock 1 5/8 with welds INSIDE the tubes. Something to think about
Old 04-27-2003, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by magius231
Theres been a lot of people showing that with a stock to mildly modded engine, shorty headers and LT headers are worth pretty much the same. The LT's only start kicking in when you get up there in power (450RWHP)
I would have to disagree. Everything I have ever seen from stock to modded engines, the LTs always outperform shorties. Not only that they sound cool.

Aaron
Old 04-27-2003, 11:36 PM

Hell I'm doing mighty good with just the stock manifoldsbut I am gonna get TPIS long tubes when I do my heads and cam. Don't put so much faith in the primary size. even though the ones I am gettin are gonna be 1 3/4 the LT1 really does do well with the slightly smaller 1 5/8. Look at GMHTP's Thunder Chicken. The cam is not that big...a CC305 which has basically the same #'s that my Crower 562 will have. They documented that they got a lil more pwer with the smaller primaries for some reason, and they are over the 400 mark.
Old 04-28-2003, 02:28 AM

where as i will most likely get LT headers for my current LT1, i was more then impressed with the #'s i have scene out of MAC header equipped cars. Some guys in the 400's with them.
Old 04-28-2003, 10:38 AM

Thanks all for the positive replies!! After a 2 year dry spell without a Fbody its nice to have another one but it sucks to start all over again. Guess I build a even nicer one this time!!
hey I did the exact same thing. sold mine bought and built a rockcrawler jeep and went couple years no fbody. I had a 97 TA. Sold the Jeep 3 months ago and this buildup has been a blast. Nitto Extreme Drags were done last Friday and what a difference. My long tube jethot headers will be here this Tuesday, can't wait to see the results. I am debating 3:73 or 4:10 gears, not sure which I want yet, then it's a cam.
Old 04-28-2003, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by CamaroGuy22
Do you cruise up and down ritchie every weekend? We live 15 mins from each other. Good dyno numbers!
Yeah I'm out quite a bit on the weekends and even a couple nights a week. Im getting married next month so Ive busy getting things ready for it.
About two years ago I owned a 96 formula with a big block (stinger) hood and it was black with silver flames (blue tips) ,T/A hatch, Chrome ZR1s.... If you have been a fbody lover for a while there was not many people who dident know my car. Ill be out tonight probally for a little arround the Mc Donalds area.

Feel free to email me and Ill shoot you my Cell #. Im looking for some LT1 guys to hang out with since most of those LS1 owners seem to depise our cars.
Old 04-30-2003, 03:04 PM

Originally posted by magius231
Theres been a lot of people showing that with a stock to mildly modded engine, shorty headers and LT headers are worth pretty much the same. The LT's only start kicking in when you get up there in power (450RWHP ? )

One example of this: the fastest bolt on LT1 in the GM High Tech Performance shootout was using probably the worst design shorty header: Edelbrock 1 5/8 with welds INSIDE the tubes. Something to think about
IMHO i think the worst design shorty header is not the edelbrock but is the dynomax shorty header.. but the edelbrock is running a close 2nd.. But then again not all car's weigh 3Klbs either..
Old 05-01-2003, 08:21 AM

I know the subject has shifted slightly...but those are good dyno numbers. My '96 M6 TA with the only mods being a 3" cutout, WS6 hood & airbox, and LT4KM..still running on stock manifolds...pulled 279rwhp 312rwtq. I was told I have a "freak LT1" too.

Again, nice numbers man!

Last edited by BitCypher; 05-01-2003 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-01-2003, 09:45 AM

Mine lines were choppy ^^^^^ like that also after 4300rpms also... I dont know what causes it but figured it was a little knock or something.
You guys should check your fuel filter first and then possibly the coil/opti. Best friend kept having problems and his car was running really wierd times. He was constantly running in the 13's with crappy 60's but only trapping at 98 or 99 mph. On the dyno things looked good till about 4000 where it began to get rather choppy and at 4800 it pretty much went down and after 5200 it dropped rapidly, turns out it was the simplest of all...the fuel filter. It has been fixed and the car runs like a champ now...

Quick Reply: 97 M6 dynoed today!!