LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

About to install LT headers have a few ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Jlo

Question About to install LT headers have a few ??

Ok, I have a set of jethots ready to go on this weekend they have the provisons, ie air tubes. I live in TX where there are no emissions at the moment nor visual inspections. My question is can I install them with all the emission stuff and have them tuned out? I plan on staying with the car for a while and would like to leave that stuff installed incase I sell it to someone who lives in an emissions testing state..
Old 09-07-2011, 03:54 PM

Re: About to install LT headers have a few ??

I'd remove them and put them in a box somewhere in your basement. Or perhaps just keep them. It just comes down to why did you buy the headers with the EGR/AIR provisions? You either plan on running the emission components or not. Which is it?
Old 09-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Jlo

I planed on using the emissions on them to keep the car intact without removing much of the stuff. I could cap them but I don't think it would look right. I just thought I could install them with the emissions stuff but have it tuned out so it's disabled. That way if I sell it I can enable them again without having to reinstall the whole things again..you know what I mean?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:54 AM

Understand completely...however personally I like a nice clean engine bay- remove the items and save for future selling of car if necessary. That way you can just have all the stuff in a box in case the next buyer needs it.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:15 AM

You're not gonna enjoy the hassle its going to be to that junk back on lol. Looking back on my install. I'd have hated myself if I was putting all that garbage back on the car with some of the hell we ran into with just the install itself. Extra weight, and an eye sore is all that hassle will be worth.

Keep it in a box as already stated for when/if you sell it if it matters that much. You'd have been better off just getting race style without the emissions so you could just give it to the buyer in a box with manifolds etc. and have the headers on without the hassle now. Just my opinion.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:22 AM
Administrator

You can leave it in place, and have the functions tuned out. I built an 800HP nitrous motor, and left all that stuff intact (and working) to pass rigorous visual and tailpipe emissions.

There's no downside to leaving AIR and EGR functioning. Does not hurt performance in any way, as long as its functioning correctly.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Jlo

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You can leave it in place, and have the functions tuned out. I built an 800HP nitrous motor, and left all that stuff intact (and working) to pass rigorous visual and tailpipe emissions.

There's no downside to leaving AIR and EGR functioning. Does not hurt performance in any way, as long as its functioning correctly.
Thank you, just the type of answer I was looking for..So tell me something having that extra weight like everyone says..did it affect your performance, ET? Also do you have a pic of you engine with all the emissions stuff I'd really like to see one with LT.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by Jlo
Thank you, just the type of answer I was looking for..So tell me something having that extra weight like everyone says..did it affect your performance, ET? Also do you have a pic of you engine with all the emissions stuff I'd really like to see one with LT.
The erg and it's associated plumbing might weigh in at 2 or 3 pounds. The air pump and its' plumbing is less that 10 pounds. If the old correlation holds true that 10 pounds = 1 horsepower, you aren't improving performance in any measurable way by removing these things......
Old 09-08-2011, 09:33 AM

Lose the air and egr you don't need it to pass emissions anyway.

Last edited by RUDEDOG; 09-08-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
That's my thoughts as well. If he wants to leave them intact why have them tuned out? Then you'll just need another tune in the future to have them tuned back in if you sell it/move to a state that requires stricter emissions/inspections.
Old 09-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Jlo

Originally Posted by 6SpdLT1Z
That's my thoughts as well. If he wants to leave them intact why have them tuned out? Then you'll just need another tune in the future to have them tuned back in if you sell it/move to a state that requires stricter emissions/inspections.
After giving it some thought and speaking with my tuner, I plan on leaving the emissions working..My other cars had race style headers, cam etc.. and while it was fun the car only made to the track 1-2 every 3 months and was not used as much..I plan on keeping this car close to stock as possible with a few bolt ons and later an emissions friendly H&C package those are my plans.