LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Abs Inop?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 07:52 PM

Abs Inop?

What the hell is this? I got in my Z28 today and noticed this light was on. "ABS INOP". Does anybody know whats going on with it?

Oh and also the other night, while racing my car, the SES light came on. The car ran fine as usual. I got home and turned it off got up the next morning and it hasen't shown again, that was like 3 days ago. -Thanks-------> Brad
Old 10-05-2003, 09:48 PM

First check your third brake light, it's linked to the abs light, and thats usually the problem. If that doesn't do the trick check the fuse for the ABS. Sometimes it can also be the wires come loose and he bottem of the ABS box. Don't know about the SES light though
Old 10-06-2003, 06:20 PM

whoa man, if ANY lights were light on my new car and i didnt know what they ment, i cirtainly wouldnt race it. What i WOULD do would be to take it back to the firggan dealer, but i dunno how you aquired your car or your situation, so take my thoughts accordingly.
Old 10-06-2003, 06:28 PM

Originally posted by Tony Danza
whoa man, if ANY lights were light on my new car and i didnt know what they ment, i cirtainly wouldnt race it. What i WOULD do would be to take it back to the firggan dealer, but i dunno how you aquired your car or your situation, so take my thoughts accordingly.

Ok first off the SES light came on while I was racing it. After it came on I drove it home. Also the car is a 94 Z28. It turned out that the ABS INOP light came on because the third brake light bulbs were both out. I go 2 new bulbs for 1.49 at the part store. As soon as I put them in the light went off.

The SES light came on, then was off the next day. When that happens, I was told you can't scan it since it is no longer throwing any codes, which sucks, I would really like to know what made the SES light come on. -------------> Brad
Old 10-06-2003, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by AustinZ28

The SES light came on, then was off the next day. When that happens, I was told you can't scan it since it is no longer throwing any codes, which sucks, I would really like to know what made the SES light come on. -------------> Brad
I believe you can still get the stored codes on a previous ses light as long as you have not reset the computer (disconnect battery or pull pcm fuse)
Old 10-06-2003, 09:28 PM

Originally posted by IFLYAZ
I believe you can still get the stored codes on a previous ses light as long as you have not reset the computer (disconnect battery or pull pcm fuse)
Really, thats a good thing to know for next time. I just put in a LT4 knock module today and had to unplug my battery. That resets the computer, right? ------------> Brad
Old 10-06-2003, 10:57 PM

Hey don't know if it will help but I had the same thing happen to my Z and I was told to clean the ground terminal that is located just above the battery. It is the one that screws into the body of the car where most of your grounds go. Clean it really good with a wire brush and some good solevent. This cleared up my light. Hope it helps!