LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

ac delco/autolite wires wont work

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:50 PM

ac delco/autolite wires wont work

Tried ac delco and autolite wires. The msd billet opti and msd blaster coil keep burning the wires. I know this because of the light show i received tonight after changing plugs 3 times. Imho with an aftermarket ignition you want better wires. The new ac delcos lasted half a day before causing a bad skip. Also before this gets out of hand the wires are routed correctly and in the plastic holders. Ordered a set of msd 8.5mm super conductors.also the reason i believe these wires wont work with msd ignition is because they are arcing from the coil wire too. No way this wire can burn on a header. So after 200 dollars worth of plugs and countless hours of chasing this skip i found my problem. Hope this helps someone else in the future
Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 PM

Re: ac delco/autolite wires wont work

Just a point about bigger wires I read on here the other day. Just because a wire is bigger doesn't necessarily mean the conductor is bigger right? It's typically the insulator that is bigger isn't it? Although, that may help the arcing.

Also, what is the voltage difference between the different coils? I think they are pretty similar from what I have read. This would point to installation imo. I know you said you routed them right, but just for the sake of asking. Were there any spots that were soft feeling on the wires or could you see the conductor in any spot?
Old 07-21-2011, 11:08 PM

Hmm, I have been running an MSD 6A and blaster coil (GM opti) with AC-Delco wires for 10+ years (or more) with no issues ever. Maybe you have some grounding problems. However, I don't have 12:1 compression.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:29 AM

The motor runs at 190 degrees. When the car shuts off it climbs as high as 240. Car ran awesome yesterday after installing the ac delco wires. Out of nowhere light skip,then full on buck. Thought it fouled plugs but then opened the hood at 1130 last night and was getting arc off coil wire and cylinder 6 at the least. My sig needs updating cuz the car has scr of 12.4 to 1
Old 07-22-2011, 08:48 AM
Administrator

What did you gap the plugs to? The voltage the coil develops is determined by the resistance of the system, including the gap of the plugs. Too large a gap, and the voltage required increases, and the spark is going to find a path of lesser resistance, and start jumping that gap.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:55 AM

Plugs are gapped at .040. Why would it also arc at the new coil,wire? I could try gapping at. .030
Old 07-22-2011, 08:59 AM

Re: ac delco/autolite wires wont work (IN YOUR CASE)

Originally Posted by dennis5374
Tried ac delco and autolite wires. The msd billet opti and msd blaster coil keep burning the wires. I know this because of the light show i received tonight after changing plugs 3 times. Imho with an aftermarket ignition you want better wires. The new ac delcos lasted half a day before causing a bad skip. Also before this gets out of hand the wires are routed correctly and in the plastic holders. Ordered a set of msd 8.5mm super conductors.also the reason i believe these wires wont work with msd ignition is because they are arcing from the coil wire too. No way this wire can burn on a header. So after 200 dollars worth of plugs and countless hours of chasing this skip i found my problem. Hope this helps someone else in the future
Other things that causes stress to the ignition system is.

High CR
Poorly gaped plugs.

So I wouldn't say the wires are not good. Only that perhaps in your case they are less than adequate.

One last thing. Don't confuse arcing or what I like to call, side firing to corona effect. Not saying you had one versus the other but not many people don't understand or know what corona effect is.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:25 AM

My friend builds modified circle track cars and says that because of the very high compression ratios they have too run huge wires. He uses moroso super 40 wires on his modified and they can rest on the headers without ever burning. So should i go with a.030 gap with the new wires? The wires worked awesome for about 3-4 hours then it seems like they got too hot and crapped out. Could i wrap each wire with the 1" header wrap?
Old 07-22-2011, 09:51 AM

Im also going too clean up all the grounds so that i know the contact surfaces are all good. Im also thinking of using the hi temp silicone spray for header wrap on the wires is this a good idea? Also am installing a b&m pro stealth ratchet shifter because in o/d the car shifts before it makes good power. I just want this car too be done so i can actually enjoy it for the next 3 months
Old 07-22-2011, 09:55 AM

Im gonna pull the plugs and tighten the gap. Also gonna buy more of the cloth plug wire covers and run two on each wire. It was 99 degrees yesterday with a 112 heat index so maybe the extreme heat with the high cr got the wires too hot.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:56 AM

I currently have Taylor wires on mine and they seem to work great with the MSD.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Taylor/895/79258/10002/-1
Old 07-22-2011, 10:09 AM

Ok how do i determine which plugs are cooler than others? I want this too be my last set of plugs i buy. I haven't had the car dynoed yet but im guessing when running correct its in the high 450@the flywheel. Can someone give me a part number too the right plugs for me? Raised 2 full points of comp and probably added close too 200 hp over stock.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by dennis5374
Ok how do i determine which plugs are cooler than others? I want this too be my last set of plugs i buy. I haven't had the car dynoed yet but im guessing when running correct its in the high 450@the flywheel. Can someone give me a part number too the right plugs for me? Raised 2 full points of comp and probably added close too 200 hp over stock.
The parts store can usually tell you.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:01 AM

Idiots at autozone and advanced don't know. That's what i figured also
Old 07-22-2011, 01:33 PM

I spoke with solomon today and he believes that the mad coils are too high voltage for the wires and opti? Im picking up a oem coil in a couple hours. Im gonna spray my wires down with that hi temp silicone and give it a shot with the oem coil. If this doesnt work ill regap the plugs and throw the super conductor wires on

Quick Reply: ac delco/autolite wires wont work