LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

AC shuts down on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2019, 01:34 PM

Re: AC shuts down on acceleration

🤗 thanks again shoebox I have the part on will call at Jimmy Johnson Chevrolet. They said it is a cross reference substitute & is usable for my Camaro. The Internet does have someone with the original part number in a unopened AC Delco bag, do you think I should get that one too? As a back up and just to be safe? Or maybe that’s overkill and I won’t have the car as long as this acceptable substitute piece will probably last 10 years or so 🤔
Thanks again have a great Labor Day weekend!
Old 08-31-2019, 10:26 PM

The replacement will work fine.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:12 AM

🤞🏻 OK replacements and I’m happy, it’s midnight but I work at a hotel also. Also noticed this I wasn’t getting any vacuum on my canister line and then I found this up by the light and battery. So I guess my reserve is bad, because somewhere underneath all this is a canister vacuum canister right?
Old 09-01-2019, 02:15 AM

And here’s the new one vacuum check valve installed, tested perfect.

New check valve for HVAC mode control switch.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:20 AM

Yes my vacuum canister line is broken from rubbing and maybe battery acid from previous owner. I always keep my batteries clean.

This might’ve posted twice sorry I don’t know if the first one went through, I am so glad I found this Camaro Z 28 members forum user site I don’t feel alone anymore.
Old 09-01-2019, 02:22 AM

Curious shoebox, is there a part number for the actual GM Delco vacuum line to the canister? I think I should buy one instead of trying to just repair this existing one. Thanks in advance
Toukuss
Old 09-01-2019, 03:54 AM

🤞🏻👍🏻 Well I’m trying to get the two tubes together with black heat shrink, it might just work. I wonder why Chevrolet didn’t put a nice rubber grommet around that section of the hole? I originally thought it was fiberglass but it is actually metal can I see a little bit of rust, I cleaned up the rust and put wire piping tubing protection around it, makes me feel better. Seems like electrical wires are touching there too
Old 09-01-2019, 04:13 AM

well it might hold awhile 🤞🏻😊
Old 09-01-2019, 05:09 AM

😊 well complete for now it might be late but I drove it a little bit of wide-open throttle and I still had lots of cold air in my face I am satisfied thank you so much especially to shoebox, since I do like my Camaro I probably will replace the entire vacuum line to the reserve canister someday if I can get one cheap 😴
Shut out to shoebox again he’s the only one that answered me but it’s nice to have a friend if something else should arise. 😴😴
Old 09-01-2019, 08:39 AM

I've mended the hard plastic hose with rubber hose before. Bulk plastic hose should be available from an auto supply store. That hose is a "not (or non)-serviced" item from GM.
Old 09-01-2019, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Toukuss

This might’ve posted twice sorry I don’t know if the first one went through, I am so glad I found this Camaro Z 28 members forum user site I don’t feel alone anymore.
There's something in your photo links that is causing those posts to be flagged as “unapproved”. It’s happened twice. They stay that way until a moderator sees the symbol on the post and takes action to “approve” the post. Unfortunately, I seem to be the only moderator that comes here regularly and checks and approves these. Or maybe I’m the only moderator with “Administrator” privileges. The site Administrator hasn’t signed into the site since 2017, and no one seems to care.

I'm out of town for the holiday weekend and can’t be on here 24/7, so things are slipping through the cracks. Also don’t have time to inspect your posts/links to see what is causing the problem. I'm in northern NY state with poor quality, unreliable satellite internet, and working off an iPad.

I apologize for the problems. I am truly embarrassed by what neglect has done to this site.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:38 PM

😊 no worries injuneer enjoy your weekend! I’m just happy my car is working again
Old 09-02-2019, 07:37 PM

Is this really our vacuum canister for Camaros? Maybe Firebirds and Corvettes too
Old 09-02-2019, 07:45 PM

Just sitting here thinking and then thinking more, I know I’m a newbie to this site but I’ve had Camaros all my life wish I could’ve joined you all back in 98 😎I would’ve if I had known. Anyway I’m really curious about the vacuum canister exact location, shoebox you’ve been a great help and I did read a lot of threads @ Camaro Z 28.com from the past to see what this whole forum was about and I like it.Is that plastic thing really under the battery? Near the coolant reservoir? Curious if anyone has a picture of it on their car. Maybe I overlooked it I think I was expecting something metal and bigger like on my first car which was a 1979Z 28 Camaro. My thinking is maybe my canister is worn out, or maybe there’s another vacuum hose from the engine to that canister. I already know there’s One from the engine to the check valve for the HVAC mode switch. So maybe take the battery out and go through the top, seems like the bottom is in accessible because of all that cladding.
I did enjoy reading we’re all the old-timers thread Lol
Old 09-02-2019, 07:50 PM

So basically shoebox I think I don’t have much reserve vacuum ,I thought it was fixed, and it is mostly. and it is as long as I don’t go too fast or give it toomuch gas I mean.
So from what I’ve been understanding from what you have said shoebox, it seems like it should still blow a lot of air in your face unless your flooring the pedal right?
I think you called it WOT – Which I guess is supposed to give you less vacuum air but you don’t usually do that very often

Quick Reply: AC shuts down on acceleration