LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Accel opti failure!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
I don't like the whole "oilite bushing" thing instead of an actual bearing.
That's my main beef with it and is at least one feature that makes it not as good as the GM part.
Old 02-24-2007, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by BTC
Did you buy the entire opti? It wasn't fully assembled? When did you get it? I've been told that MSD did some redesign after their initial production runs to address some issues. But, I haven't heard that directly from MSD.
Yea i had to asssemble the cap to the rest of the distributor, along with an O-ring provided. But i talked to the mechanic lokking at my car and he said he believes that is he problem with my car. He said that the opti was pulsing between 0 and 5 volts. He called up MSD and talked to their tech support and they said that was a problem but they hadnt had many complaints on the model.. So im just gonna re-install my old opti and see what happens.

On that note does anyone have the electrical harness for the opti as well as the bolts that fasten it to the block? I need those because im not sure when i placed those.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:39 PM

Similar problem is happening to me stated in first post with the accel unit...Im going to get the code pulled now and ill post the results when I find out.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:17 PM

i just bought a msd opti and coil. looking to install next week. I have heard all the potential issues with the msd e-mailed their tech dept. and they informed me that installers were putting the o ring in and it was causing the rotor to rub. The new opti's msd are putting out come with gaskets instead of o-rings. I'd call them and see if they will send you a gasket to replace the oring...
Old 02-24-2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by DAFAIC
i just bought a msd opti and coil. looking to install next week. I have heard all the potential issues with the msd e-mailed their tech dept. and they informed me that installers were putting the o ring in and it was causing the rotor to rub. The new opti's msd are putting out come with gaskets instead of o-rings. I'd call them and see if they will send you a gasket to replace the oring...

Well the car has been run quite a bit so if the damage hasnt already been done.

By any chance do you have the email address for the tech department?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:39 AM

i put the accel opti on in october and it's been good so far. if it fails it fails. no biggie. replacing opti's is easy any way. less than three hours ain't bad. it's peaches n' cream compared to dropping the fuel tank and replacing the fuel pump. only hard part is making sure the pin on the cam fits into the correct slot on the opti so it's fully seated.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by leon
i put the accel opti on in october and it's been good so far. if it fails it fails. no biggie. replacing opti's is easy any way. less than three hours ain't bad. it's peaches n' cream compared to dropping the fuel tank and replacing the fuel pump. only hard part is making sure the pin on the cam fits into the correct slot on the opti so it's fully seated.
Well ill give you that it wasnt too bad the first time, but 3 hours? What all did you remove or not remove? It took me and a couple of friends about 10 hours to remove mine and install the new one for the first time.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:31 PM

It seems like the list of stories for aftermarket Opti-Spark's just keeps getting longer and longer. When I replaced my Opti, the Accell unit was already out. I went ahead and replaced it with an AC Delco unit. So far so good. The first time I replaced my Opti it took me a good solid 3 hours. That's putting into effect the time it took to bleed the cooling system. Though it's not a fun job. I've heard people complain more about changing plugs & wires then replacing an Opti.
Old 02-25-2007, 02:23 PM

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504532

this is the problem i ran into... i am being a little premature since i didn't try an oem one yet...
however, if it is the Accel opti that i just installed then, they are going to get a piece of my mind... and i will mention the plethora of problems that everyone else is having...
this opti has costed me time and money... i don't know what i would have done if i took it to a mechanic...
i would have felt stupid because they would have recommended OEM parts and i would have been like, "no accel is a reputable opti" hahahaha

oh i'm so pissed!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 05:22 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
I'm definitely second guessing my decision to pay a $100 premium for an MSD.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by LTgun_94
Well ill give you that it wasnt too bad the first time, but 3 hours? What all did you remove or not remove? It took me and a couple of friends about 10 hours to remove mine and install the new one for the first time.
friends just slow you down...
much faster to do yourself...
Old 02-25-2007, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by LTgun_94
Damn 10 hrs? Me and my buddy just got done doing my cam swap and it only took us 6 hrs to get the cam out and the new cam sitting in the motor ready to go back together. The opti is less than a 2 hr job easy. The only thing that takes all the time is waiting for the coolant to drain.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:23 PM

Well, I scrounged up my recipt and whatnot. It turns out I bought the opti last January, but didnt get around to installing it until June. Accel has a 1 year limited warranty. They claim their warranty starts from date of purchase, so I may run into some trouble with my claim, but we'll see.

I'm going to try to get a replacement if they'll let me. That doesnt mean its going on the car though...
Old 02-25-2007, 09:47 PM

you guys need to look at the delteq It is a little $$$ but only takes an hour to install and you will never have opti problems again
Old 02-25-2007, 10:06 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Don't Delteq & LTCC still require the use of the optical portion of the opti?

Quick Reply: Accel opti failure!