LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Accel opti failure!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 12:37 AM

yeah but thats the part that barly goes out. tear a opti apart and pull on the brass armiture??? it will slide right out then you will see how bad the opti is. optis are not good for any one trying to make power they can break up at high rpm and cause all sorts of problems.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:30 AM

Yah i bought a accel opti here in jan 2007 and now today it is screwed. High res code backfires stumbles etc. Just like the last. Beware mine was crap but luckily only 199.99 at jc whitney.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by jasonisdn
there is a old saying, that will never go away. you get what you pay for.

Get what you pay for? It's $300 and is supposed to be an improvement over the stocker with:
all-new construction with heavy-duty Oil-lite bushings and polished aluminum housings. The Accel Performance Replacement GM Opti-Spark II distributors include a high dielectric strength reinforced cap with brass contacts and a balanced rotor. Also included are new pin drive shaft seals, hardware, and easy-to-follow instructions.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by bubba24
Yah i bought a accel opti here in jan 2007 and now today it is screwed. High res code backfires stumbles etc. Just like the last. Beware mine was crap but luckily only 199.99 at jc whitney.
Send yours back. I just shipped mine back to JC Whitney yesterday. I replaced it with an OEM unit. They apparently didnt know Accel warranties their opti's for 1 year, so I had to instruct the operator where to look on the Accel website. I sent them the opti, a print out of the code, and a copy of that warranty sheet. I told them I'd like a refund, but they might end up sending me a replacement part. We'll see...
Old 03-28-2007, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Steve0
Send yours back. I just shipped mine back to JC Whitney yesterday. I replaced it with an OEM unit. They apparently didnt know Accel warranties their opti's for 1 year, so I had to instruct the operator where to look on the Accel website. I sent them the opti, a print out of the code, and a copy of that warranty sheet. I told them I'd like a refund, but they might end up sending me a replacement part. We'll see...
good luck...

those accel units are junk (imo)...

i replaced mine with the oem opti and it works like a charm...
Old 03-28-2007, 08:05 AM

if you belive every thing you read i have some items for you to buy. i'll make a opti out of card board and tell you its better than factory , if you are willing to buy it. remember when all the kids were buying those IAT kits to add 8 hp or so, nothing but a resistor. that you could buy for pennies at radio shack, thats just 1 example. real world tests are where its at. please notice in the real world the accel opti's are crap.
That's not the point. The point is it was $300 and should have been a good piece for the amount of money paid for. No one knew it was a bad piece including you until it was tested. Also there is a huge difference between describing what physical improvements have been made to a component and the promise of a hp gain.

Last edited by SS RRR; 03-28-2007 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:48 AM

OK, I have an LS1, I have seen countless opti threads on this board. I don't understand how hard is it to make an opti that works w/o breaking? You would think that some mfg would have stepped up to the plate by now.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:51 AM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
you can not judge the quality of a part by its price, thats insane.
And yet you get what you pay for??!

Personally, I've decided to go with an OEM opti that I had originally intended to use as backup for an aftermarket opti. I also think I'm going to replace my coil with either a Crane or MSD. Any opinions on which of those would be the better choice?
Old 03-28-2007, 03:14 PM

[QUOTE=BTC;4504930]And yet you get what you pay for??!
QUOTE]

yeah, i am lost...

for 300 $'s that bit$h should not break...
Old 03-28-2007, 03:59 PM

$600 for a dynaspark???? That's a lot of money for a distributor.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:46 PM

[QUOTE=jasonisdn;4504898]you can not judge the quality of a part by its price, thats insane.

I am not about repost your entire novel. First, why are you pointing your finger at the "young crowd" as you call it. I am part of that crowd you speak of and there are plenty of people from the geriatric crowd (which you must fit in) that try and get something for nothing as well. It has not as much to do with age as it does a way of thinking. For the longest time no aftermarket company made an optispark, so when companies start coming out with them lots of people will buy them since just about any aftermarket part you would put on your car is meant to be an upgrade from what the stock part was. When you put an aftermarket intake, exhaust, brakes, suspension, etc on your car you are doing it to upgrade over the factory. Some of the aftermarket optis are a lot more then the factory, the MSD billet opti is $500. So based on your reasoning then it should be a superior part to the factory because it cost more, just the same as you reasoned that the Accell one must be crap because it cost less. You were right about not being able to judge quality based on price, because in this case you can buy a piece of **** for $500 or a turd for $300. What might be easier is to recommend that people stick to factory electrical components, especially something as tempermental as optis are. The aftermarket companies will eventually get it right, but until then I wouldnt not recommend anyone getting one. You made the arguement about buying an Edlebrock intake even though after some port work the factory one will support 500HP. Key word after some port work. Most people dont have the ability to do port work in their garage, so they have to take theirs off the car, send it out, and have their car down for an extended period of time. By the time you are done paying for the labor and the trouble of shipping back forth accumilated a hefty bill, plus the fact you cant drive your car and for some it might be their only car. Instead you can spend a little more money and get one thats already ported and swap it out and still have time to test drive it that night. Also, in response to you talking about gym supplements, something you clearly know nothing about. A supplement is no good on its own, they are meant to help your muscles recover faster so you can work out harder and longer thus building more muscle. While there is a lot of crap out there, people seldom put in the time or effort to get the results they are promised and expecting. 10 minutes will not make you Mr. Universe, but hard work with a combination of a good diet and supplements to help you recover faster will yield results. So absorb that jackass.

Last edited by SnakeSkinner28; 03-28-2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:27 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
that was his point, it must be good cause it cost 300.00. the old saying is true, you do get what you pay for.

I understood his point. I was referring to your comments. On one hand you say you get what you pay for. On the other you claim that it's insane to use price as a barometer of quality. Those two positions seem somewhat contradictory, imo.

And thanks for the link. I've searched and there doesn't appear to be a very large user base for the Crane coil, which is what I'm leaning towards for some reason. I think I like the fact that it's black. That's how you know it's good.

And since we're on the subject, I've been working out for 20+ years and I've yet to find anything that outperforms steroids. I'm so swollen that I bump into myself quite regularly.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:47 PM
BTC

I was only kidding. I've never taken steroids. But if I was getting ready to tangle with SnakeSkinner, I might consider it.
Old 03-28-2007, 06:59 PM

So... those Accel optis sure do suck when they fail...

And not many people out there are going to be keen spending $600 for a dynaspark distributor. Nor are they going to want to ay $500 for a MSD unit. Thats a lot of money, not everyone has that kind of cash to blow when you can get a stock unit for $250. I've seen a few people post problems in regards to their MSD's. I havent seen much complaints in the way of dynasparks, but I"d be willing to bet thats partially because not too many people out there are running them.

Please dont turn my thread into a arguement. The purpose of this message board is to share information and help progress the hobby. When I purchased the Accel I decided to go out on a limb and try a new product. Someone has to try the new stuff. If it had worked out great, it would have been awesome and I bet Accel would have a few more customers right now. Since it didnt work out too well, I hopefully saved some people from making a bad purchase.

I've had a bad experience, and so have a few other people on this board. If you do a search problems with this unit have been pretty well documented. I'm sure some other people have had alright experiences, and hopefully they will post up and let us know how many miles they have on their units.

Hopefully some reps from Accel frequent the board, and/or will take note of returned distributors and will identify problem areas and make their product better. If not, I wouldnt expect the unit to be too successful.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:41 PM

accel sucks...

what happened to your thread Stevo?

Quick Reply: Accel opti failure!