LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Adjusting RR's

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 10:24 AM

Adjusting RR's///Bad Idle

I just finished adjusting my roller rockers, I did it the way that is explained on shbox.com ( tightening the bolts by hand till they stop then an additional 1/4 turn and then tightening the center allen key) I have alot of chatter coming from the valve covers. Should I pull the valve covers and try to readjust with the motor running? I need some suggestions...Thanks

This is a 94 z28 complete rebuild with comp rr's, bigger cam, and everything else is pretty much stock replacement.

Last edited by asia517; 02-14-2008 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by asia517
I just finished adjusting my roller rockers, I did it the way that is explained on shbox.com ( tightening the bolts by hand till they stop then an additional 1/4 turn and then tightening the center allen key) I have alot of chatter coming from the valve covers. Should I pull the valve covers and try to readjust with the motor running? I need some suggestions...Thanks

This is a 94 z28 complete rebuild with comp rr's, bigger cam, and everything else is pretty much stock replacement.
You can try running however, I like method 3 on shoe box(you can take your time and only have to watch the valve springs not worrying about crank position.). Some swear by running also.

I had trouble when I first started adjusting valve lash, and went through all of the methods. Just find what works for you.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:58 AM

I tried all the methods when i did mine, but could only get them right with the motor running. im sure its just personal preference cause all the methods must work, but with the motor running its really easy and quick. (maybe a little messy though)
Old 02-12-2008, 11:21 AM

Make sure the rockers aren't making contact with the valve covers.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:27 AM

Are you sure #1 was at TDC and not #6 when you started?
Old 02-12-2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Are you sure #1 was at TDC and not #6 when you started?

Ya I'm sure. how can I tell if they are making contact with the covers? I have the canton covers that are made for the lt1 (alternator notch).
Old 02-12-2008, 05:42 PM

Honestly, I can tell you that it can be pretty tough to get this on your own, the first time especially. I adjusted and readjusted mine quite a few times both with and without the engine running. I ended up just taking it to a performance shop where its sitting right now, getting the adjustments made. Maybe you can get it on your own, but I just couldn't seem to nail it, so I'm saving myself the time and hassle and just taking to the pros.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:02 PM

Not trying to put anyone down, but if you take your time and follow the directions closely, its really not that difficult. I did engine off method when i swapped my heads, and it worked fine for me.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:19 PM

I only use the engine off method. I can't understand how you can accurately preload each rocker with all the surrounding noise when the motor is running.

You can take your valve covers off and make sure there are no rubbing spots on the underside.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by ssbowtie1
I can't understand how you can accurately preload each rocker with all the surrounding noise when the motor is running.
By sound and by feel.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:42 AM

They are definetly not rubbing. My father and his friend are old skewl motor heads they said always do it with the covers off, so I will try it that way and see what happens.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
By sound and by feel.
yeah it sounds harder than it is, i thought it would be difficult so i did engine off, that did not work so i tried with it running and it is night and day difference when you hit 0 preload, very easy to get it spot on. personally i would never do it any other way again
Old 02-13-2008, 09:28 AM

You turned the rocker nut till it "stopped" then turned an additional quarter turn?

That ain't the right way to do it.

You turn the rocker nut by hand while holding the pushrod until you feel a bit of "drag".. ie you've taken out the slack b/w the pushrod and the lifter. Then you take your additional 1/4 turn if that is the pre-load you desire.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
You turned the rocker nut till it "stopped" then turned an additional quarter turn?

That ain't the right way to do it.

You turn the rocker nut by hand while holding the pushrod until you feel a bit of "drag".. ie you've taken out the slack b/w the pushrod and the lifter. Then you take your additional 1/4 turn if that is the pre-load you desire.
Yeah what he said. It is basically getting slack out and then 1/4 turn.

The key to this is knowing when you have slack out before you start to press the lifters plunger down at the other end of the pushrod. Just feel for any resistance by twisting pushrod and check slack by moving pushrod up and down slightly/gently.

If you mess up and feel you have gone too far down on the lifter just loosen everything up for a minute or two and start again.

When your tightening the poly locks by hand,they will stop and when they do your almost at 0 lash (this will put you close to where you need to be), but.......
I have found that it is imperative to have clean rocker stud threads along with clean poly lock threads to feel any resistance with accuracy.

These are things that helped me.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Dave1980
Yeah what he said. It is basically getting slack out and then 1/4 turn.

The key to this is knowing when you have slack out before you start to press the lifters plunger down at the other end of the pushrod. Just feel for any resistance by twisting pushrod and check slack by moving pushrod up and down slightly/gently.

If you mess up and feel you have gone too far down on the lifter just loosen everything up for a minute or two and start again.

When your tightening the poly locks by hand,they will stop and when they do your almost at 0 lash (this will put you close to where you need to be), but.......
I have found that it is imperative to have clean rocker stud threads along with clean poly lock threads to feel any resistance with accuracy.

These are things that helped me.

yes I did it this way first with no luck then tried it the way that shbox says he does it which is tighten till the nut stops then pre-load. I will just try with the engine on and see from there.

BUT now I have an awesome problem out of no where the engine is now stalling out after about 30 sec running. it revs high at around 1500 then down to 1000 then 600 then stalls. WTF. gona check the fuel pressure first. Any suggestions???

Quick Reply: Adjusting RR's