LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Advice needed please, whole rebuild time!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 10:55 PM

Advice needed please, whole rebuild time!!!

Ok I have several questions and would appreciate ALL the feedback I can get. Ive done lots of searching and reading of posts so this is just to get various opinions to one spot so I can make my decisions.

My current 95TAm6 is starting to bite the dust already at only 80k miles, oil leaks everywhere, think my valves are tapping now, and now some weird wacky stuff is going on with the transmission which I posted over at ws6zxr...

Anyway im looking into building(geting built :P) a 383 stroker. I will also want a new 6spd transmission which im having a hard time finding a reasonably priced aftermarket trans that can handle 450HP (which is my goal). Id like to know if im better off geting stock heads done instead of buying new ones to save money. I want to do this all as cheap as possible... Would it be cheaper geting my engine rebuilt into a 383 (if so what $$ am I looking at) or if I should buy a 383 shortblock and redo my heads and build it from there.
Id also like to know what already built 383's (400 at the wheels) would run, im guessing 5k? Oh yea and they sell those stroker kits, do those usually come with everything you need to convert a lt350 to a 383? And would that be cheaper to go that route and have someone throw it together for me?

Any advice for the conversion would be very great, id like to give the car a complete make over, and im hoping 383 is the way to go. The only quote I have so far is from my buddies friend, who said $8000 for a 380rwp 383 build (using my engine) and that includes installation, but that price seems a bit steep to me, adding up the parts in my head I dont get anywhere close to that number (even factoring in labor) and it also seems to be a bit weak on power...
Old 04-25-2005, 11:28 PM

Re: Advice needed please, whole rebuild time!!!

TT^

Also im planning on buying a crap ball car to get around, so downtime is not an issue.

Do you guys think with little mechanical experience (next to nothing) but all the appropriate tools, an average guy could rebuild the lt1 into a 383? Im willing to get a manual or 2, but is there like a lot of problems I can run into not know a lot about the internals on the engine? Or if I bought a shortblock, would I easily be able to build the rest of it up? (ofcourse the engine being out of the car probably on an engine mount stand)
Old 04-25-2005, 11:40 PM

I'd suggest buying one if you hadn't at least seen one built already. At the very least have someone that builds motors guide you through the process. Building a stroker isn't as simple as buying the crank (and parts) and putting them in. Not saying you don't know this already, but just so you understand theres a lot of grinding to do to make the clearance for the stroker setup.
In any case, if you bought the short block and got someone to assemble the heads for you, then yes you probably can build up the rest from there. Most of it after that is a matter of putting it back together.
Can it be done by learning/reading/whatever other means possible.. yes but I don't think you want to risk destroying all your new parts because something was not checked properly.
Anyway, hope this helps you out some, if i forgot something someone else will hopefully fill in. its past my bedtime here
Old 04-26-2005, 12:20 AM

If you have never observed a stroker motor being done have someone do it for you. If you are only looking for 400RWHP don't worry about forged everything. I would do just rods. That will save you quite a bit. Call some local machine shops and see what it would cost to have the block cleared for a 383.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:37 AM

Yeah, unless you plan on spraying on the motor, forged isn't necessary for 400 rwhp. And $8000 is rediculous. Send it to a machine shop and have them machine and put the short block together for you and do the rest yourself (unless you want your cam degreed, then have the machine shop do that too). There are tons of kits you can buy to do a budget 383. Also about your tranny, a stock t56 should hold well over 450 hp. I know a guy running a blown ls1 that put down almost 600 rwhp and running a stock t56 (stronger clutch and pressure plate though). Good luck.

Benji
Old 04-26-2005, 12:59 AM

Just get your tranny rebuilt, no sense in buying another one.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:08 AM

I would call http://www.revolutionaryperformance.com/
And see what they say. If you dont have ported heads I would go with the trickflow heads and do a buget 383 build. That would cost arond 6k or so. Or just use your stock rods and crank and port your heads and spend about 4k and run high 11s. Dont have any suggestion on the trans. Thats why I have a TH400
Best of luck to you.
Cliff
Old 04-26-2005, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by LenT1
Ok I have several questions and would appreciate ALL the feedback I can get. Ive done lots of searching and reading of posts so this is just to get various opinions to one spot so I can make my decisions.

My current 95TAm6 is starting to bite the dust already at only 80k miles, oil leaks everywhere, think my valves are tapping now, and now some weird wacky stuff is going on with the transmission which I posted over at ws6zxr...

Anyway im looking into building(geting built :P) a 383 stroker. I will also want a new 6spd transmission which im having a hard time finding a reasonably priced aftermarket trans that can handle 450HP (which is my goal). Id like to know if im better off geting stock heads done instead of buying new ones to save money. I want to do this all as cheap as possible... Would it be cheaper geting my engine rebuilt into a 383 (if so what $$ am I looking at) or if I should buy a 383 shortblock and redo my heads and build it from there.
Id also like to know what already built 383's (400 at the wheels) would run, im guessing 5k? Oh yea and they sell those stroker kits, do those usually come with everything you need to convert a lt350 to a 383? And would that be cheaper to go that route and have someone throw it together for me?

Any advice for the conversion would be very great, id like to give the car a complete make over, and im hoping 383 is the way to go. The only quote I have so far is from my buddies friend, who said $8000 for a 380rwp 383 build (using my engine) and that includes installation, but that price seems a bit steep to me, adding up the parts in my head I dont get anywhere close to that number (even factoring in labor) and it also seems to be a bit weak on power...
Between machine work, rotating assembly, Lloyd Elliot heads and custom cam I will have a tick over 5k in just the engine. Along with I have all new sensors, Hooker Longtubes, Racetronix fuel system, programming, new Opti, LT4 starter, New waterpump, lt4 E.D. timing set, comp pro mag. rockers, etc but the latter are not necessarily "associated" with the cost of the 383 build. I just did it all at once to get the most out of the motor and to have a little peace of mind by buying new sensors , opti etc.
To do the basics though should expect to run about 5k. I stopped nickel and diming it cause it was actually more expensive and very time consuming. Lloyd can do your stock heads and get you a custom cam with his le3 package and you should be a hair over the 400 rwhp mark. His site is www.eportworks.com He is a supporting vendor on this site and posts here often.
Try to buy as a kit. Piecing it together can get away from you with the cost.The whole thing will need to be balanced as well.If they need to use alot of "heavy" metal it can bring the cost up. That stuff is expensive.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:28 PM

Thanks for the advice so far guys, I just got done talking to a guy willing to sell me a new rebuilt 383 stroker with ported heads etc for 4600 or rebuild mine for 3600. He includes a new cam and stuff like that, im in the process of geting the details on the head porting job now, does that sound like a reasonable price?
Also do you think the trick flow heads will out perform the stock heads with a port job of the same price as the trick heads? (spend as much on a port for the stock as the trick..which is >? )

and I think id rather get forged parts cause im sure id like to go further once everything is said and done, I just want the main 383 put together first

ofcourse money is always the problem..
Old 04-26-2005, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the advice so far guys, I just got done talking to a guy willing to sell me a new rebuilt 383 stroker with ported heads etc for 4600 or rebuild mine for 3600. He includes a new cam and stuff like that, im in the process of geting the details on the head porting job now, does that sound like a reasonable price?
Also do you think the trick flow heads will out perform the stock heads with a port job of the same price as the trick heads? (spend as much on a port for the stock as the trick..which is >? )

and I think id rather get forged parts cause im sure id like to go further once everything is said and done, I just want the main 383 put together first

ofcourse money is always the problem..
Trick flow heads lower compression by using a 62cc chamber. Port the stock castings,They will outperform new trick flow heads . There are people with over 400rwhp using stock ported castings.
The cranks are pretty stout. Try the Scat 9000 series cranks. Not as good as forged but way better than cast. On a budget of course.
Pistons, it would be a good idea to use forged.
Talk to your builder and then get ahold of Brett on this board. He goes by sstrokerace. Talk with him a bit and see what he would recommend. He knows his stuff and I haven't heard one bad thing about him from anyone.I wish I would have done the same when I started out, but I WILL learn from my mistake next time.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:01 PM

Sounds good, i will take that advice.

If I wanted to go with fordged pistons and crank, how much more expensive are the parts than regular? I mean since its not together yet I wont be paying more in labor, so if the prices are only a few hundred different I will just save a bit more and go with forged.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:12 PM

Sounds good, i will take that advice.

If I wanted to go with fordged pistons and crank, how much more expensive are the parts than regular? I mean since its not together yet I wont be paying more in labor, so if the prices are only a few hundred different I will just save a bit more and go with forged.
The scat 9000 crank is about 280. A good forged crank can be had as cheap as approx. 600 or so. Give or take a few bucks. Go forged, at least you'll get peace of mind that way. You should be able to get your rods reconditioned and have new ARP bolts installed for about $100 or you could spens a few more bucks(another 150) or so and get some eagle sir rods.
Careful though when you start thinking that for a few dollars more you can get this or that. There are some rotating assemblies that are close to 2k. Write out your plans and try `to stick to it. Having the "best" parts would be great but sometimes they are just plain overkill and a waste of money if you aren't going to stress the engine to the levels they are built for.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by 94zgreenmachine
Write out your plans and try `to stick to it. Having the "best" parts would be great but sometimes they are just plain overkill and a waste of money if you aren't going to stress the engine to the levels they are built for.
Word
Old 09-21-2005, 11:01 PM

this topic is awesome cause im looking to get a 383 in my 94Z within the next year or 2, just got her recently for a good price engine still runs quite strong though so im just gonna throw all the boltons on her first then when she gets tired 383 here i come