LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

After LT header install missing and poping

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 05:52 PM

After LT header install missing and poping

I have a 95 camaro with m6, heated o2's I did not have this problem prior to the install.

3 days ago i put my headers and y pipe on my car and i am getting a miss mainly around idle to 2500 rpm. it misses randomly past that but not as much.
I also get this popping from my exhaust every like 20ish seconds when its idleing.

i hooked up datamaster to it and am getting some spark retard wile idling and bliping the throttle a little. the lterm counts smf sterm counts jump around allot from (mainly) rich to lean 118-130

i checked for burnt wires and i had one but the problem is still there. i checked the plugwire order and it is fine.

after the header install:
my car sounds like crap, it misses, i feel no sotp gain. the headers look great atlast... im just frustrated. If anyone had a similar problem please help me out. Thanks

-Rick
Old 08-21-2004, 06:26 PM

Re: After LT header install missing and poping

O2's tend to foul after a header install.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:31 PM

we just put some lt's on my g/fs car, and we just used stock plug wires (she wanted purple wires and stuff to match her car and of course they werent here in time) and the #5 wire burnt almost immediatly, so i made a longer one until we get the otvc wires, if you already have ovc wires im sorry i just wasted your time second thought, did you change the plugs? i got ahold of a bad plug when i changed mine and obviously it missed. you can test the plugs with a continuity tester. hope you get it worked out
Old 08-21-2004, 07:21 PM

I understand your feelings exactly, as I had a similar problem. Multiple burnt wires, opti blew, running rich and popping. Very careful reroute and heatguards on the wires (esp pass side), new opti, and good tune changed all that. Ended up with about 40 more horses and she runs very nice. Keep looking I think you will find wire problems. Mine weren't burnt so much as baked through. They were literally brittle, but looked fine. Also, the short stock boots were arcing. Good luck.