LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

aftermarket oil pan options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 11:47 PM
Banned

Re: aftermarket oil pan options?

OK,Thanks

A local guy was running one just 2 weeks ago,runs 1.3's 60' and toted the wheels and didn't finish the pass. Big mess on the track.

Just wondering,Thanks.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:56 AM

I have a Moroso 7Qt oil pan on my 383...pixs can be seen here http://community.webshots.com/album/230034686gXusiQ

Matt
Old 02-02-2005, 09:01 AM

The Milodon pan for these cars is very nice.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:58 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 1racerdude
OK,Thanks

A local guy was running one just 2 weeks ago,runs 1.3's 60' and toted the wheels and didn't finish the pass. Big mess on the track.

Just wondering,Thanks.
The only damage this car ever suffered was when he dropped it hard and smashed the oil pan... fortunately it was the stock pan and didn't cost a whole lot to replace. 1.3X 60-fts.

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun.../DCP02600z.jpg
Old 02-02-2005, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Birdie2000
The Milodon pan for these cars is very nice.
Picture

http://www.brentfranker.com/gallery/album93/PICT0003
Old 02-02-2005, 06:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Injuneer
The only damage this car ever suffered was when he dropped it hard and smashed the oil pan... fortunately it was the stock pan and didn't cost a whole lot to replace. 1.3X 60-fts.

http://cjcfo.fbody.com/members/injun.../DCP02600z.jpg
From what I understand the engine let loose at the front,indacating lack of oil from the pump ie. uncovered pickup. The pump and drive was said to be in good shape afterward.
I am not willing to take that chance with mine or anyone elses engine for a couple of hundred dollars.
Old 02-02-2005, 06:10 PM

i've got the milodin pan, and it works well w/ my 396 lt1. no clearance problems, and no leaks so far. It looks pretty too!
Old 02-03-2005, 06:03 AM
n2oblkz

Posted by: 1racerdude
From what I understand the engine let loose at the front,indacating lack of oil from the pump ie. uncovered pickup. The pump and drive was said to be in good shape afterward.
I am not willing to take that chance with mine or anyone elses engine for a couple of hundred dollars.
Right, if I am going to spend the money on a buildup, which will probably be my only one ever, I will wait a while longer and make sure I have all the best parts and have it done right.

Old 02-03-2005, 06:25 AM

I also have a Canton, though I haven't finished my 396 stroker yet so I can't really say how good the pan is (as far as whether or not it fit's properely and seals with no leaks.

What I can say is that from the looks of it, it's a top notch piece. All the welds are perfect and I even filled it with water as someone suggested and there were no leaks at all.

To me, it looks like a great peice. Only time will tell, but my mechanic told me he's put in literally dozens of these things these past few month's and no ones had any problems at all. (Apparently Canton had some quality control problems in the past but they re-vised their design and corrected all their problems a while back)

I say go with the Canton.

Click th link below for a few pictures of my Cantol oil pan:

Pictures of the LT1 Canton "T" oil pan - CLICK HERE

Last edited by '93 formy ...; 02-03-2005 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-03-2005, 06:52 AM
n2oblkz

I would really love to buy a Canton because it does look like a quality piece, but I just can't get myelf to do it after all of the bad that I have heard about them. A buddy of mine has one on his 10 sec. 396 Z and it leaks like crazy (from the welds!). I'm not going to spend all of that money on a buildup just to have a new engine leak all over my new garage floor!

Old 02-03-2005, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by n2oblkz
I would really love to buy a Canton because it does look like a quality piece, but I just can't get myelf to do it after all of the bad that I have heard about them. A buddy of mine has one on his 10 sec. 396 Z and it leaks like crazy (from the welds!). I'm not going to spend all of that money on a buildup just to have a new engine leak all over my new garage floor!

Canton's been in the business for a long, long time. If they were really that bad, do you think they'd still be in business?

Even the best companies produce a few duds from time to time, don't let that stop you from buying their products.

That's just my opinion though.

Good Luck
Old 02-03-2005, 06:46 PM

A lot of bad companies have been in buissiness for a LONG time, many start out good then once the name is established let the product go to hell, the name recognition carries them through. As a shining example I submit Fram, probably the worste filters made yet clearly the biggest sellers. Too few people do any meaningful research. Not saying Canton is bad just that your argument is flawed.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:33 AM
Administrator

After following the threads on this board, and at least 2 other popular F-Body boards that I also moderate, for more than 7 years, I have seen far more complaints posted about the Canton pan than I have ever seen about the stock pan.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:17 AM

Injuneer, did you add a different windage tray to the factory pan, or are you referring to just keeping the stock one in place?

I bought a 383 blower engine that has excellent parts in it, and was well planned out, and they used the stock pan. I figure that it'll work fine since there seems to have been a lot of research done with regards to the engine as a "package", and I've seen your input and Rich's as well, but I still can't help but wonder if it's worth throwing another pan on there. If there's any simple mod to better keep the oil on the pickup in a stock pan, that would be great.
Old 02-04-2005, 10:44 AM

On all these leaky Canton pans I wonder if it is the gasket and install procedure that might have something to do with it. I read several posts about people spinning bearings after doing a cam swap as well, generally that has more to do with poor install and cleanliness than anything else.

Quick Reply: aftermarket oil pan options?