LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Aftermarket Pulleys..worth the HP gain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 02:48 PM

Question Aftermarket Pulleys..worth the HP gain?

I have a "How to tune and modify your Camaro" book and one of the things it says to do is to replace all the stock pulleys with like for example..HyperTech Power Pulleys. It reduces the friction on the belt which in turn frees up some ponies that are being 'dragged' by the friction. Has anyone spent the doh on some new pulleys and noticed a difference? This seems like it would actually make a noticable difference.. Where can you get these pulleys if it is worth it and whats the approximate price tag on say..replacing the two or three stock pulleys? Thanks in advance guys
Old 09-10-2004, 03:01 PM

Re: Aftermarket Pulleys..worth the HP gain?

I forget who it was but a while back they dynoed after doing a pulley kit and a aluminum drive shaft and they gained like 3 RWHP and 7RWTQ ...

Look it up though cause I have heard before that their good for 5-10 at the wheels.

I know its not an LT1, but my friends brother, he put pulleys on his 5.0 and noticed ZERO SOTP gain. Then again he never dynoed it to know for sure.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:15 PM

wow thats not much..but then again..in theory if everyone hyped up every 'little' power gain...5 here..10 there, 14 there, 6 there..that adds up fast. I know it costs..but it IS a gain worth seeing. If you're close to 300 with an intake kit and some bolt ons..it may put you OVER the 300 mark just for bragging rights I know Im definetly putting out a tid bit more than 300 ....
Thanks for the info..do you happen to know where the places are that sell them as 'kits' as you say? do they sell them individually or as like..3 pulleys? And would summit or thunderracing maybe carry them off the top of your head? Ill check too, just incase someone may know before I get the chance to check. Thanks for the post, keep the info coming guys!
Old 09-10-2004, 03:29 PM

....I did both the large alternator pulley & the small crank shaft pulley
on my '84 Camero years ago & the battery wouldn't hold a charge. I
then took off the large alternator pulley but left on the small crank
pulley. Not sure if it make a performance difference and I haven't bothered to do it on my '94 Bird yet but you might want to check on the battery charging
issue first {without the large alternator pulley it held a charge} . Try a search before putting out the buck's.... Bill....
Old 09-10-2004, 03:33 PM

so the pulley allowed TOO much friction to be deleted..not allowing it to 'charge' the battery with the alternator? .... and thanks for the heads up
Old 09-10-2004, 03:40 PM

I have the March (2) pulley set. I believe I noticed a bit better throttle response. If you get them, consider that the alternator pulley will most likely require an impact wrench to get it off and the other one installed.

Otherwise you are turning the pulley while trying to get the nut off and back on.

Never had any problems with them. JMHO
Old 09-10-2004, 05:18 PM

I just recently installed the underdriven crank and alternator pullies from asp on my car. I got a 1 mph gain at the track and that is with adding about 60 pounds from my previous run. (didnt take out seats and didnt put my smaller battery in) I gained a little on et, but before I was consistently 13.7 and now with the pulley I am consistently 13.6 and that is still with about 60 pounds of added weight from my previous runs. I noticed a little sotp and it shifts smoother and stronger now. I am gonna be taking my weight back out for M9 in stanton michigan and I might ice the intake like I had done on previous runs and in turn I think I will gain almost 2 tenths and 1.5-2 mph with these pullies, I guess I'll just have to wait and see. But....I am having some charging issues, I cant figure out if I am drawing current from the battery from somewhere or if it is pulley related, but I'm gonna be checking that out soon. From what I've heard the ASP ones are the only ones worth doing, but they are the priceiest (sp?) I paid 160 bucks for mine, but it was well worth it imo. For as little of mods I got done to my car I think I am running pretty good and the pullies are definately helping me.
Old 09-10-2004, 06:51 PM

http://ws6.com/bangbuck.htm

Old 09-10-2004, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by n2ceptor
Yea but those hypertech ones are the piggyback add on style which adds weight. The ASP ones are a direct displacement of the crank pulley and are lighter and underdriven. I guarantee I got more peak hp and avg hp then what ws6.com got, probably a good amount more.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:46 PM

Thumbs up Re: Aftermarket Pulleys..worth the HP gain?

Well i installed the crank pulley from thunder racing and i did notice
that the engine reved more freely and the shifts were quicker but that may be
due to the better throtlle response. but if this is a daily driver get the alternator overdrive pulley if not you will wish you had have. i paid about $20
for the alternator pulley from altornatorparts.com it was the 1-7/8.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:47 PM

What about engine temp? Anyone notice an increase in it?
Old 09-11-2004, 02:14 AM

If you install a pulley system, you will have get an alternator that will provide enough amps at lower speeds. Not lower car speeds, but lower stator speeds inside the alternator.
Old 09-11-2004, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by MarkyMark
Yea but those hypertech ones are the piggyback add on style which adds weight. The ASP ones are a direct displacement of the crank pulley and are lighter and underdriven. I guarantee I got more peak hp and avg hp then what ws6.com got, probably a good amount more.
PiggieBack = crap

ASP replacement = well worth the money

Smart man.
Old 09-11-2004, 03:56 AM

....ah, so if one gets an alternator that puts out enough juice at lower
speeds, then the larger alternator pulley will work? Very interesting....
Bill....
Old 09-11-2004, 07:47 PM

the alternator needs to have a rotation ratio of 2.8 or 3.1 if you install a crank under
drive you need the alternator overdrive in order to make up the the diff in the ratio
you do not need a higher amp alternator because the smaller alternator pulley will
make the stator spin faster of which will give you the same as if you still have the stock set up , but beaware on some 93's the amps on the alternator was to low on
the car with all the power access, turn on lights ac, full blower fan, and both cooling fans and watch the charge needle fade and here the fuel pump slow down, but hay
i changed mine out for a 170 amp to solve that problem before i thought about putting
on the underdrive pulley. someone asked about cooling, no problems but i did notice that the ac does not cool the same at idle, the funny thing is that the under drive pully helped me discover that my ac compressure was locking up. any way put them on and enjoy!

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Pulleys..worth the HP gain?