LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

aftermarket valve covers

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2010, 01:30 PM

find a machinist or someone that can tig weld and have them cut the notch in the passenger valvecover, then bend a piece of sheet aluminum and tig it in.
Old 01-20-2010, 03:09 PM

Got them today...

Nice looking...

As I suspected though, the outside width of the drivers side V.C. hits the hotside of the turbo. So... my choices...
  • Use the Aluminum "Tall" jegs valve cover on the drivers side and the Canton on the other side. Pro: Easy. Con: Fugly/unbalanced looking.
  • Place one of my spare 1/2" header flanges between the hotside and the head to stand off the Hotside enough to clear the Canton. Pro: Easy Con: Would probably put the hotside out far enough that it would hit something.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:31 AM

How well do those seal up at the gasket surface and do they capture the outside of the gasket to keep it from trying to squeeze out? What gasket does it use??
Old 01-22-2010, 09:13 AM

They have aluminum tangs on the inside perimeter of the Cantons for positive Gasket retention but that is limited to the top and bottom(when viewing the engine from side). The short radii ends do have a single small tang per end but the corners do not have any channel or tangs to help position the gasket. I'm sure that's why the included instructions admonish you to 'glue the valve cover gasket' to the bottom of the V.C. and allow the silicone sealant/glue to dry prior to installation.

I'm running into an incredible amount of difficulty with this seemingly simple aspect. As I mentioned above, the hotside of my turbo is right up beside the valve covers on the stock VC but they have an 'inset' from the gasket rails. The Cantons utilze that inset so they are the same outside dimensions as the gasket rails. This puts the VC right on the hotside pipe. Add to that, the aforementioned gasket tangs hit my Isky adjustable pushrod guideplates on both heads. So I'll have to either take off the "pain in the *** to align" adjustable guideplates and grind each of their tops, then reinstall them or remove the gasket tangs from the Cantons. Sheesh...

Originally Posted by Kevin Blown 95 TA
How well do those seal up at the gasket surface and do they capture the outside of the gasket to keep it from trying to squeeze out? What gasket does it use??
Old 01-22-2010, 10:35 AM

I was sensing your frustration with this and feel for ya. It's tough spending time and money to see what does and doesn't work and I've been there a few times myself.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:10 AM

Thinking about going with the 1.7:1 Scorpions and Canton valve covers with my HOT cam.

Did the Canton's come with a gasket ? Will the stock gasket work with them ?

-- Lee
Old 04-22-2010, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Leeman
Thinking about going with the 1.7:1 Scorpions and Canton valve covers with my HOT cam.

-- Lee
Doh, see in another thread that people RTV'd the stock ones to the Canton's.

-- Lee
Old 04-22-2010, 11:12 AM

I, like others, had to grind on the inside of the Canton VC where the exhaust rocker comes closest to the Alternator. The fulcrum pin hits the valve covers edge where the VC has the Alternator indentation. Getting the gasket to stay in place while the Silicone sealant cures is a b*tch too. I had to use a combination of clothespins and visegrips(lightly applied) to hold the shape of the gasket in place.

No fault of Cantons' but my hotside is right up against the drivers side Canton VC. So, since I couldn't use that side, I have a Canton on the passenger side and a Cast Aluminum VC on the drivers side.

Originally Posted by Leeman

-- Lee
Old 04-22-2010, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by DirtyDaveW
I, like others, had to grind on the inside of the Canton VC where the exhaust rocker comes closest to the Alternator. The fulcrum pin hits the valve covers edge where the VC has the Alternator indentation. .
Is that with your 1.7's (or did you sell them) ?

-- Lee
Old 04-22-2010, 01:02 PM

It was both with the scorpion 1.7's and the CC Pro Mags. I did end up selling the unused Scorpions to a gent in Texas for about a $100 hit. I put the Promags back in.