LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

AI heads

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 09:54 PM

AI heads

im thinkin of getting the AI econo port but was wondering if anyone knew there core charge, i was gonna call/email them but im goin away and wont have a chance for 2 weeks and was just wondering. thanx
Old 02-12-2005, 11:07 PM

Re: AI heads

Dont know that you would really have a core charge considering that you send them your heads to p&p. when I contacted them a while back, the charge for the econport was set at $1495. that doesnt include any of the complimenting parts (rockers, lifters, pushrods, etc.). nor a cam. the turn around time from the time that they recieved the parts was ~3-4 weeks. They also informed me that it might be possible to work a spare set of heads up for you in exchange for your heads provided you cant really have a lot of downtime, but i would assume that that is really something that you would need to discuss with them. hope this helps.
dave
Old 02-13-2005, 08:47 AM

ya i cant have that much down time, im just looking at other options besides LE, and AI seems to be making better power
Old 02-13-2005, 10:14 AM

hummm 1500 for a half assed port job with no valvetrain, or about 16-1800 for a COMPLETE port job WITH valvetrain AND a CAM. Hummmmm.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by 1 Nasty Bird
hummm 1500 for a half assed port job with no valvetrain, or about 16-1800 for a COMPLETE port job WITH valvetrain AND a CAM. Hummmmm.

Just my 2 cents.
HUH?!?!?
1500 port job ready to bolt on that will typically pull over 400 to the wheels with the right cam? dont sound half assed to me but whatever...
Old 02-13-2005, 10:33 AM

I wouldn't call anything AI does 'half-assed". You can debate the 'perceived' value of what they offer all day, but don't condescend the services they offer. Your post suggests that you wouldn't want to pay for what they offer, and that's fine.

Just my 2 cents.
Which is worth just that, just like mine.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:55 AM

I would think that most places offer cores for $300 to $400 bucks. You could probably come out cheaper by sipplying your own but then YOU have to worry about paying shipping, repairing broken headers bolts, stripped threads, emailing people and over all, just getting scammed by getting some JUNK heads or no heads at all.

AI offers a good product at a good price but if you are just wanting some other places to check out, TEA and Air Flow Development are some other good places to check out.

Lloyd Elliott
NightTrain66@msn.com
Old 02-13-2005, 12:01 PM

Just my 2 cents.

There is always that one person.

No one has to justify their work or results...you are just wrong. No if's and or buts about it, your oppinion is unfounded and WRONG.

http://www.eportworks.com/LT1LE2.htm

You could also benefit from a bit of reading. There is NO valvetrain included in his prices. It is just a set of ported heads and a cam for 1650 or heads for 1300. Unless your talking about some other porter I've never heard of, but either way think before your speak.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by tireburnin
There is always that one person.

No one has to justify their work or results...you are just wrong. No if's and or buts about it, your oppinion is unfounded and WRONG.

http://www.eportworks.com/LT1LE2.htm

You could also benefit from a bit of reading. There is NO valvetrain included in his prices. It is just a set of ported heads and a cam for 1650 or heads for 1300. Unless your talking about some other porter I've never heard of, but either way think before your speak.
If you are talking about Lloyd's packages, the necessary valvetrain is included. You don't NEED anything else to bolt them on, but things like roller rockers, pushrods, guideplates, etc are always recommended.

As far as a core charge, I have seen places charge between $250 and $600 so you really need to contact the porter before assuming anything.

AI has a very solid reputation, however I can only comment on my service with LE, and it was excellent to say the least.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by TQdrivenws6
If you are talking about Lloyd's packages, the necessary valvetrain is included. You don't NEED anything else to bolt them on, but things like roller rockers, pushrods, guideplates, etc are always recommended.
Yes, Ai includes everything too. Heads, assembly, porting, valves, springs and retainers ready to "bolt on." But "recomended" as you say really means necessary if you want any kind of power or reliability.

And valve train = pushrods, lifters and rockers. Please see the bottom of that link for confirmation. The poster (and you) seem to think valve train = valves and springs alone. Both porters include similar parts with thier setups but NEITHER includes all of the "recomended" parts.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:25 PM

I dont see how you consider roller rockers, pushrods, guideplates as unnecessary. I only assume that you mean that you could possibly use your stock components in which case you could do that with both packages. Regardless, the original poster was not posting to question AI's ability or anyone elses to port heads. but to merely get some information on a wether they had a core charge or not.

When I was chosing who to p&p my heads, I explored all my options as well. I'd rather make an informed opinion on who I would like to use and not to have another poster try and impose their decision on me because they dont agree with a companies/persons charges. I'm sure that when the original poster wants your opinion on who's packages are half assed, he will ask you.
dave
Old 02-13-2005, 12:31 PM

Both AI and LE, among others, offer a good product with various levels of performance. What comes with each level will vary, and last time I checked, Phil and Llloyd were still answering e-mails to specific questions about their respective products. The best advice I could offer the original poster is that you contact these guys and ask specific questions about what they offer, and what is included in each package - suited to your application and budget. Both AI and LE have built significant reputations on their customer service and attention to their customer's needs, budget and application - use that to your advantage and contact them. And I'm sure Phil and Lloyd could work something out for you regarding cores as well - all you have to do is ask them directly.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:43 PM

i was just curious, im pretty sure ill go with LE heads/cam. i realize all the other parts are needed and will get them. ill most likey get the LE1 package just cause of the price.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:02 PM

I never meant to imply that AI does bad work. I know they do some of the best. Wha i meant and apperently the part everyone skipped over, is that you can get the "econo port" or a non full portjob (i guess i shoulda said half done or something similar instead of half ***) for less then price as a "full" port job from Lloyd and Lloyd would even throw in a matching cam.

Im saying i think he oculd get more bang for the buck from the LE setup in case he thought he couldnnt afford to go with a full port job. But maybe he does not want a full port job at all? Im just trying to help him out in case he thought he couldnt afford to go with a full port job and all associated costs. So everyone please calmn down. Im sorry to AI for calling it "halfass" thats not what i intended to imply at all. I was at work and trying to throw out an idea quickly as i had to leave the office.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:42 AM

I knew what you meant, and was about to suggest that by "halfassed" you may have meant "partial port". Its easy to get an impression from reading a post that was not intended to be given by the poster. It would be nice to see some flow numbers on the econoport.

Quick Reply: AI heads