LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

AI200cc stock bottom end dyno results, 429rwhp with a miss

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
And how about this for lack of port consistency?

You can see how much each port varies from the next and how thin the area is between ports.

That shows a total lack of attention to detail, and brings into question many other aspects of the assembly.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by NightTrain66
Trick flow and GM guide plates are the correct ones to buy and supposed to work with LT1 heads. That doesn't mean the rockers will all line up correctly due to the way LT1 guides are machined/installed at GM. Just look at you rocker in that pic.

Most people use them and have no problems. It is not a variance in the guideplates from set to set. It is a variance in the LT1 heads and guides from set to set.

If the GM/Trick flow guide plates do not align ALL of the rockers correctly, the only way to get things exact is with the Isky adjustables and go through the hell of doing it.

Some cars will always be faster than others with the same work done. Your car was hauling *** with the GM 846, BRE cam, etc, and always ren better than most with the same mods. Starting with a "good" bottom end with only .020 deck ht can be part of it as opposed to some at .025-.035 and somke can be your exhaust, etc but for what ever reason, some cars are always fast (even in stock form) compared to others with the same gear/mods.

Firt you mentioned the LE heads were worth 4 tenths and 4 MPH when installed but now you say they gained you nothing or slowed you down.

First you said you did not check PR length on the LE heads and just used what you had and then you said you did check PR length (although that will not fix the rocker sitting on the valve wrong from side to side).

Did you ever compare the guide plates that were worn and see if those guides were toast also.

Regardless, it matters very little now anyway, you sem happy with the results of your new set up and learned alot about rocker/PR geometry as shown on your pohoto bucket.

I just found the post and wnated to post some info from the other point of view. As you know, there are 3 sides to every story regardless of how unbiased both of us feel we are when telling it. I am a very level headed person that wanted my side heard to balance the post out.

I really feel that you believe you did not damage the guides however right/wrong you are.

I really believe that you destroyed the guides and I did pay shipping both ways ($120) to look them over and have my machinist look them over to come to the same conclusion. I saw the same thing I was expecting before you shipped them but wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt and it see if there was anything done that would cause this.

Lloyd
Yes I did check the guides where the guideplates had the wear. The guideplates that were just starting to wear were all on the same side, the front 3 cylinders on the passenger side. The guides with the worste amount of wear and the guideplates that showed no signs of wear at all. You might have spent $120 to check them out, but I had to spend 20x as much to get my car up and running again. It would have been nice if you would have alteast offered some sort of discount to get the heads fixed but I got nothing.

Either way I'm done arguing. It's obvious neither of us is going to change their views on what happened in the past and it's time to move forward.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:45 PM

as much as i would like to see a real world un biased comparason between company a and company l i really believe there are too many inconsistancies in this case to use it

once again speed_demon great numbers, glad you got the car up and running, and good luck with it man

and for the record i am very happy with my heads from lloyd, the customer support was great and he helped me out with every question i had, even after the purchase. this summer i will get the car on the dyno and to the track. again, thank you lloyd for a great set of heads and all the help getting it together
Old 01-04-2008, 05:46 PM

Yes I did check the guides where the guideplates had the wear. The guideplates that were just starting to wear were all on the same side, the front 3 cylinders on the passenger side. The guides with the worste amount of wear and the guideplates that showed no signs of wear at all.
and how exactly is that lloyds fault, that is clearly a sign of a problem
Old 01-04-2008, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by dangalla
as much as i would like to see a real world un biased comparason between company a and company l i really believe there are too many inconsistancies in this case to use it

once again speed_demon great numbers, glad you got the car up and running, and good luck with it man

and for the record i am very happy with my heads from lloyd, the customer support was great and he helped me out with every question i had, even after the purchase. this summer i will get the car on the dyno and to the track. again, thank you lloyd for a great set of heads and all the help getting it together
What inconsistencies? Everyone was wanting an LE vs AI comparison for years and now they finally get one people start trying to discredit me since they want to believe they have the best heads out there. If anything my new combo is at a disadvantage since since I'm running a stock unported intake manifold and I'm also running thicker oil. And my old guides weren't worn, they were BROKEN. theres a big difference.

and how exactly is that lloyds fault, that is clearly a sign of a problem
I never said it was his fault I'm just saying the guideplates weren't the cause of the BROKEN guides.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
The springs don't have the same pressure from spring to spring, plus the fact that the heads are not perfect from one spring seat to another. Therefore you shim the springs to different heights to get the closed and open pressure as close as possible.
If spring rates are not the same you have no business putting them on your heads. Installed height should be exactly the same with every valve. That height is measured from the seat to the retainer. Shims are used to make up for the difference.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:08 PM

And how about this for lack of port consistency?
Jesus Lord. What did you have to do to the gaskets in order to make them work? I'd be a little leery about whether or not there would be a good seal between ports with the wall between them being so thin.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:12 PM

Was a time when Rob here was happy with his LE heads too.

Sometimes happy customers just means customers don't know any better.

I am sure every one of us has bought something and thought it great and later been forced to reevaluate that opinion. Most recently for me a year ago I was saying the GMPP guideplates were good, today the car has Isky adjustables and I wont recommend the GMPP guideplates anymore. They never really lined up well and began to wear.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:08 PM

What inconsistencies? Everyone was wanting an LE vs AI comparison for years and now they finally get one people start trying to discredit me since they want to believe they have the best heads out there. If anything my new combo is at a disadvantage since since I'm running a stock unported intake manifold and I'm also running thicker oil. And my old guides weren't worn, they were BROKEN. theres a big difference.
the main problem is that as much as you dont want to admit it your valvetrain obviously had issues(geometry and possibly pushrod lenght), and if you dont think that was costing you power your crazy

and again i'll ask what oil were you runing then and now, exactly.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:49 PM

the main problem is that as much as you dont want to admit it your valvetrain obviously had issues(geometry and possibly pushrod lenght), and if you dont think that was costing you power your crazy

and again i'll ask what oil were you runing then and now, exactly.
Mobil 1 5w30 back then, mobil 1 0w40 now, why?
Old 01-04-2008, 07:55 PM

BTW I did have my old LE2 heads flowed. I wonder if this had anything to do with why I gained power? I'm sure the exhaust flow inconsistency is considered normal??? Not to mention the low flow #'s, expecially for a huge port. I wasn't going to post these, but considering everyone thinks they are gods gift heres a little wakeup call. Keep in mind the graphs go up to .800 lift so look at .600 and below.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
If spring rates are not the same you have no business putting them on your heads. Installed height should be exactly the same with every valve. That height is measured from the seat to the retainer. Shims are used to make up for the difference.
You are correct, but I have seen springs that were not close enough and there was plenty of room to play before coil bind. So it was decided to make the open and closed pressures as close as possible. Comp and some of it's suppliers aren't exactly up to stuff with quality control.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Not to be a dick or anything, but when dealing with used production heads that have had work done to them, i.e. valve job, there is no way to get all the installed heights the same. And the shims only come in increments of .015 so if you key up and there's a variance to your ideal installed height there's not much to do. You can play with locator thickness but that only helps a little. Also all springs don't have the same spring rates at a given height, they are all within a tolerance. That's why you pay a lot extra when you use an Isky Tool Room spring because the quality and consitancy of the spring versus a mass produced spring like Comp.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:55 PM

Mobil 1 5w30 back then, mobil 1 0w40 now, why?
because you keep saying your running a thicker oil now, but your actually running a thinner oil just like i thought
Old 01-04-2008, 10:07 PM

because you keep saying your running a thicker oil now, but your actually running a thinner oil just like i thought
Yeah it would be thinner if it was at 0 degrees celcius. But at operating temperature its thicker, hence the 40 weight. You guys really need to get a clue before you make yourselves look like asses.

Quick Reply: AI200cc stock bottom end dyno results, 429rwhp with a miss