LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

AI200cc stock bottom end dyno results, 429rwhp with a miss

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by NightTrain66
Just in case there are some that are new to Speed Demons car and the problems he has had in the past, here are some more conficting stories about the heads not gaining any power, etc.

There is some good reading material about how the story changes week to week and month to month about his problems and gaisn from ported heads.

Lloyd
Your post does little to discredit SpeedDemon or his results. Taking a shot at an individual by searching their posting history is an interesting tactic. However most of the posts were taken from what I assume is the time period right after he discovered the issue. When a problem is unfolding, it is human nature to search and grab for answers. How many times have people on this board had a "miss" and claimed it was everything from a clutch to an opti? And then replaced it all only to find out it was something all together different?

Throwing his posting history out there during the time of the problem doesn't show anything. Multiple sources found the cause of the issue to be one thing (bad machining etc) and early in his prediciment he thought it was something totally different. That isn't his fault, it is hind sight.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by dangalla
can you prove that? or are you just being a dick. dumb comments like that are what is going to get the thread locked

which part - the professional scammer issue or other valvetrain issues?
Old 01-04-2008, 01:43 PM

can you prove that? or are you just being a dick. dumb comments like that are what is going to get the thread locked
Bret had quite the history on this board. I wasn't trying to be a dick, just breifly highlighting some of the issues people had with Bret during his time on the board.

This thread is not about him or his history, it is about one persons results with a product. I would love to go into it further, but this is neither the time nor the place.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:55 PM

For the Bret issue, please see JasonD's post in regard to the matter.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=568334

Let's not carry it any further than that in this thread.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:55 PM
sbs

Originally Posted by nighttrain66
When dealing with heads that have been ported before
ahh. see there is some really important info that has repeatidly been left out of all these threads, at least its the first i have heard of it.
Thought I had read every thread detailing sd's ongoing misadventures and this is the first I have seen of it as well.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:28 PM

I can tell you guys my results and take them as you will, Lloyd ported my first set of heads for me back in 2003 or so and I have only gone faster since with his portwork, which picked my car from 12.00@113mph (stock heads) to 11.61@117mph, same heads, same valves, same cam (LE1), same everything. I removed the heads sent them to Lloyd then reinstalled the heads and ran .4 tenths faster and 4mph on the first nite out. I then sprayed 150HP n2o and broke some main bearing caps (detonation) so I never got to really dial in that setup that would have easily run 11.40's with some tweaking. vbut i went with some LE2's and bigger cam 11.20@120mph and on n2o 10.20@132mph So his porting definately makes HP and stuff breaks in the high performance world no matter who you are. Later Clint
Old 01-04-2008, 02:38 PM

ahh. see there is some really important info that has repeatidly been left out of all these threads, at least its the first i have heard of it. and now it all makes sense. so in reality you gained hp over a set of heads that were butchered by someone else and then lloyd tried to fix em for ya. since you have no problem bashing lloyd care to tell us who did the first port job
I too, am on this site pretty often and have never heard mention that these heads had already been worked on. Why is this just now coming out?And tireburnin, this is your attempt at letting both sides tell their story? Professional scammer?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:56 PM

This post where he gives his before/after numbers should be a giveaway that work was not started on a "stock" head.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=510218

On a side note, if it was felt the heads were not good enough to be ported to a good result, I don't think they should have been used and Rob should have been told to look for an untouched casting. Just IMO.

This is not a Lloyd bash as I obviously run his product and my car has performed well with it.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:11 PM
sbs

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28
This post where he gives his before/after numbers should be a giveaway that work was not started on a "stock" head.

The point was that it is not mentioned in the Lloyd-bashing threads.

Most people who have followed the saga as it has unfolded probably didn't go back to read all the relevant threads that SD posted prior to having problems.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Javier97Z28

On a side note, if it was felt the heads were not good enough to be ported to a good result, I don't think they should have been used and Rob should have been told to look for an untouched casting. Just IMO.

This is not a Lloyd bash as I obviously run his product and my car has performed well with it.
I agree. Had the heads been unworkable, Lloyd wouldn't have touched them. If I remember correctly Robert always used to tout the "mild ported" heads before switching to the LE setup. He was happy with the mild heads but sent them out to be ported to LE2 specs and gained 30 cfm. I believe he posted the before pictures and results and after of that setup vs. LE.

Now how do you go from mild ported (bowl work) to 218cc? If the runner was say 19Xcc from the previous porter, there should have been plenty of room to get to the desired 205cc. Is this were CNC porting shows its true benefit? A cnc machine would never hog out a port to 217.X on one and 216.X on another.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by tireburnin
Is this were CNC porting shows its true benefit? A cnc machine would never hog out a port to 217.X on one and 216.X on another.

the cnc would have done the same thing lloyd did, and it still would have turned out the same due to the previous porting in areas that neither would have touched

it was already posted, but you obviously only read what you want

When dealing with heads that have been ported before being sent to me (like Speed Demons), there are sometimes areas that have more material removed than I remove (Gasket Matching, far side of bowl next to guide closest to ex. port, etc) and so that is just dead space and doesn't help performance, it hurts.

Last edited by dangalla; 01-04-2008 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:49 PM

tireburnin, do you read the stuff you type? Do you know how a cnc machine works? Have you ever heard of altering some of the ports that would be lacking in the first place? And granted, not that this would apply in all cases.
A cnc head is nothing more than a copy. Oh wait, I'm off by
1 cc, let me go back and fix that.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:55 PM

I ended up measuring 215/216 cc and Speed Demon had two ports measured and ended up at the same CC. He sent pics of the heads and had the cc written on them to confirm. Is there a thrird person that CC'd the intake ports?

When dealing with heads that have been ported before being sent to me (like Speed Demons), there are sometimes areas that have more material removed than I remove (Gasket Matching, far side of bowl next to guide closest to ex. port, etc) and so that is just dead space and doesn't help performance, it hurts.

The average casting will end up around 205cc as longa s these areas have not been butchered before sending them to me but if we have a well centered casting with very little core shift and we can get a lil bigger measurement in the hot areas that need the air to slow down (over short side, at PR pinch, etc) than we can take advantage of that. The 561 castings and castings with more core shift and that are not as well centered will end up at 205 cc or so to keep the se areas safe.

Removing more material from the slow moving areas like the gasket area, you will not help any and just make the slow air move even slower. Certain areas are made the same size in the port and the extra material is removed from the fast areas to make the air speed more equal through out the port.

Lloyd
When I sent the heads to you you said they were fine for porting and none of the previous porting would affect how they turned out. Now you are saying they were butchered and affected the final outcome? It's funny how the "butchered" heads I had before with stock valves outran your LE2 heads and traped 3mph higher than your average le2 setup.

ahh. see there is some really important info that has repeatidly been left out of all these threads, at least its the first i have heard of it. and now it all makes sense. so in reality you gained hp over a set of heads that were butchered by someone else and then lloyd tried to fix em for ya. since you have no problem bashing lloyd care to tell us who did the first port job
See the quote above. He told me the heads were fine for porting and that the previous porting wouldn't affect the final outcome of the heads.

well all I could do is offer to pay shipping to me and back to you ($120 out of my pocket) to CONFIRM what I already thought, the guides where destroyed in no time due to something you did. Some where fine and some were TOAST. Some rockers where sitting correct side to side and some where not. Just look at your photo bucket pics and you would see.

The guides where not installed with soem soft and some hard, the ones that wore where seeing some dramataic trauma (lack of oil, wrong PR length and/or rocker sitting off centered to valve tip). cvalves sitting off centerd is all you can see from the pic and that is obvious. As far as PR length and lack of oil, only you know that.

Speed Demon stated that the port work was worth 4 tenths and 4 MPH in another thread.

I am just stating that the story keeps changing.

Didn't check PR length/did check PR length.

Was 4 tenths/4 MPH faster, wasn't any faster.

It is only my guess but the shop/person to inspect the heads and find everything wrong was done by Eportworks was probably the same guy?shop that did the first portwork. Only Speed Demon knows for sure and as demonstrated time and time again, his word means very little.
I went 12.1@118.3mph with my old heads before I sent them to you that flowed ~240cfm according to you in POSITIVE 500 foot d/a. After I got them back from you I went 12.09@118.1 in NEGATIVE 1000 foot d/a. And the guideplates were just starting to wear, and the valves that had the worste guides had the guideplates that had no signes of wear on them. I bought the trickflow guideplates at your reccomendation but now according to you the valve spacing with the gm/trickflow guideplates can cause valveguide wear but you still reccomend the trickflows to your customers. And I had 2 seperate shops check out the heads so even if the 1st one was advanced induction (which it wasn't) that would still leave another shop out there. One of the places is a sponsor on LS1tech so I'm not going to say who they are out of respect for them.

I asked to see the guide plates he was running (to see what guide plates showed wear and conmpare the the destroyed guides) but he declined and did not send any. He only said some where worn very bad and the PR dug into the guide plate on a few and some where fine. Kinda like his guides, some were worn BADLY and soem were fine.

I am guessing they were the GM guide plates to be worn at all.

A new set of Trick Flow guide plates were sold with the heads and I am not sure what happened to the old guide plates.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...ghlight=guides

post # 4 and 14 will explain alot on this matter.

Lloyd
I never said they were worn badly. They I said they were just starting to show signs of wear, and like I previously said the guides with the worst slop/wear had the guideplates that had no signs of wear on them at all.

Just in case there are some that are new to Speed Demons car and the problems he has had in the past, here are some more conficting stories about the heads not gaining any power, etc.

looks like the LE2 heads were worth 30 HP over the previously ported heads and still had a high RPM miss at 5500-5800 and was able to hit 405 RWHP. No doubt the #'s would have been better if the curve did not have that dip and a miss up top. Correcting rocker geometry and PR length would have helped also.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=513207

your miss could have been the broken plug you mentioned in this thread. 405 RWHP with broken plug is not so bad. Correcting rocker geometry and PR length would have helped also.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=529205

looks like it was GM guide plates that wore. Guide plates only wear if the PR is forced against it to try and correct the geometry. If all is well, the guide plate will barely be used. Correcting rocker geometry and PR length would have helped also.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=528930

not sure if the cam/lifters were hurting HP #'s but they could not be helping the #'s. I am glad you now understand rocker geometry and can have a stable valve trane at 5000-6800 RPM. Correcting rocker geometry and PR length would have helped also.

https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=533397

There is some good reading material about how the story changes week to week and month to month about his problems and gains from ported heads.

Lloyd
Yeah they gained 30rwhp over my old setup but slowed my car down at the track. Dyno queen FTL. And I'm 99% sure I broke that plug taking it off with the side load on the socket. I was just looking for an excuse to why my car didn't gain anything after I got the heads back from you. I checked for arcing on my wires/coil/plugs to see if that was a problem but it wasn't, and I would think a broken spark plug would be arcing pretty bad.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by steve9899
The point was that it is not mentioned in the Lloyd-bashing threads.

Most people who have followed the saga as it has unfolded probably didn't go back to read all the relevant threads that SD posted prior to having problems.
I never hid the fact that they were previously ported. I just never made it a priority to point it out since Lloyd told me it would have zero affect on the final outcome of the LE2 heads.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:04 PM

Just out of curiosity Lloyd, what is your excuse that the vavlespring installed height varied from 1.75-1.80" on your LE2 heads when I checked it? Shouldn't it all be installed at the same height, expecially since the cam I was running had the most aggressive hydrolic roller lobes comp sells? Even more aggressive than the LSK LSx lobes that bret bashes and the XFI lobes that he also bashes since they are so "aggressive"? My 224 cam had more duration at .200" lift than the cc306 by almost 10 degrees.

I guess I was lucky that I pulled the motor apart before the lobe started coming apart. The valvefloat only took out the rollers on a few of my lifters... I've also gotten numerous PM's from members on this board since they are having similar problems.

Last edited by speed_demon24; 01-04-2008 at 04:11 PM.

Quick Reply: AI200cc stock bottom end dyno results, 429rwhp with a miss