LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Air Pump question...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 04:29 PM

Air Pump question...

I know the air pump only works when you first start you car in order to heat up your cats. But does it turn on everytime you start the car. Like for instance if i been driving for 10 min or so, then turn the car off for 2 min then back on, will it come on again or stay off since the cats are already warm. I wanna remove the air pump to free up some space. If i get my car smogged with the air pump off, they wouldn't be able to notice since it is only active when you first start the car. Is that correct?

This question is actually for my friend with a 95 GT. But since i would like to know also and he wasn't getting any answers on his board i asked it over here.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:54 PM

Well all it does is heat up the cats. So if you remove it and have to do a smog test just drive around for awile before you go get the car tested. Then your cats are hot and the air pumps purpose doesnt exist.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:09 PM

Okay that is what i was thinking but i wanted to get a few opinions from some people before i tell my friend to just go ahead and remove it.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:22 PM

California does an emissions equipment inspection when they smog your car. You will probably not pass without it because it's supposed to be there. CA has the toughest emissions laws and unfortunately removing emissions equipment is illegal. You would probably have no problem passing the actual emission test, it's the inspection you have to worry about. Unless you know the mechanic at the smog station real well.

Last edited by Lyle A; 08-18-2003 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-18-2003, 08:36 PM

Well nvm i guess on stangs the air pump is belt driven and is on the whole time. I guess are cars are a little different. Is what this guy says correct?

"The Air pump is not electrical.. It does not turn on and off. It's on when the engine runs as it is belt driven. Also it is not used to warm the cats.. The Air Pump simply injects air into the exhaust pipe before the oxidizing catalyst to help in the oxidation process of harmful exhaust emissions.
If you remove it you can bet that emissions will go up some. And like I said it's on all the time.. Not just when you start it up.
Hope this helps."

That is what a guy said on the stang forums, on my friends thread. If this is true then why would ours turn off?
Old 08-18-2003, 09:27 PM

well i have hooker lt's and no cats... so there is really no reason at all for having the air pump/system. is there any site that has a step by step removal process? is it hard? oh and if the system is deleted, is it gonna throw any codes? just curious...thanks

-Chris
Old 08-18-2003, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by drewstealth
Well nvm i guess on stangs the air pump is belt driven and is on the whole time. I guess are cars are a little different. Is what this guy says correct?

"The Air pump is not electrical.. It does not turn on and off. It's on when the engine runs as it is belt driven. Also it is not used to warm the cats.. The Air Pump simply injects air into the exhaust pipe before the oxidizing catalyst to help in the oxidation process of harmful exhaust emissions.
If you remove it you can bet that emissions will go up some. And like I said it's on all the time.. Not just when you start it up.
Hope this helps."

That is what a guy said on the stang forums, on my friends thread. If this is true then why would ours turn off?
Well, ours is electrical It injects air into the systems so the cats get hot and operate properly. Once they are up to temp, there is no need for them to be on from what I understand. It's been so long since i've had cats though

-Shannon
Old 08-18-2003, 09:32 PM

It will set code 29 if the incorrect voltage is detected for a certain amount of time. The pump is controlled by the PCM and if the PCM turns it on and the voltage doesn't drop to near zero on the control it will set the code. The opposite is also true.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:03 PM

If you don't have a cat, do you really need it??
Old 08-18-2003, 10:07 PM

No, it's only to help the cat get to temp. so it will change the chemical makeup of the exhaust gases passing through it.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:10 PM

What's required to rip it out?? Just pull it off and jumper a wire or 2??
Old 08-18-2003, 10:16 PM

The PCM only sees the coil of the relay so I suppose you could just remove the pump and solenoid but leave the relay.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:36 AM

Does anyone do this or is there nothing to gain?? I supposed you'll drop a few pounds, but other than that is it worth the hassel?
Old 08-19-2003, 11:31 AM

Horsepower wise, little or nothing to gain by removal. If you have a cat you risk premature plugging. If not,makes more room under the hood, that's about it.

Last edited by Lyle A; 08-19-2003 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by drewstealth

Hope this helps."

I don't know how Ford does it, but I imagine they have a shut off/bypass valve. The pump may always be spinning, but it would be a bad thing (toasted cats, O2 sensors, etc.) to be pumping fresh O2 down the exhaust stream after everything is good and hot. GM's earlier pumps were mechanical (belt driven), but they haven't been that way for a while, and I'm sure they had a valve of some sort.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to remove the A.I.R. pump(unless it has broken, in which case you could remove it rather than paying to replace it). You won't gain horsepower (except for the decrease in electrical current draw during those two minutes when it is running, and you shouldn't be going WOT on a cold engine anyway!). I guess it could shed a few pounds, and be one less complication/thing in the way under the hood. Maybe it opens more options as to what headers to use if you are looking to add headers?

Last edited by 96_Camaro_B4C; 08-19-2003 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply: Air Pump question...