LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

AI's "porting only" heads

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 02:39 PM

AI's "porting only" heads

This is right from their website:

Porting Only - For guys who want their local machinist to finish their heads, we offer porting only. Just as the name implies, this does not include machinework, parts, bead blasting, or polishing - Porting ONLY. These ports will flow within 1% of a polished port, but please keep in mind that your machinist must be competent in his abilities to realize the full potential of these ports.
Full Port - $695
Econo-Port - $495

Has anyone tried this? It seems like something I might look into being that I have almost all my parts for assembling the heads already. Plus the fact that I don't have $1800 for their "bolt-on" heads. I figure I could go ahead nad do the final polishing and install the valves, and etc. myself. Just looking to see if anyone has any experience or anymore information about this.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2004, 05:35 PM

Re: AI's "porting only" heads

I haven't tried that specificly (I just ordered a full port/cam/valve train from them) but they are AWESOME. AI/Ron went above and beyond anything I asked for. One of the best companies I have delt with, and proven results on top of that.

I doubt you will have a problem...and will definatly have great results from their port only heads.

Good luck
Old 07-31-2004, 05:51 PM

I also bought their "Complete Full Port" head, and I'm nothing less than extremely happy and impressed with all of their customer service to date. If you check out their page, they do offer additional services you could add on individually.

http://www.advancedinduction.com
Old 07-31-2004, 07:27 PM

Another satisfied customer here
Old 07-31-2004, 11:15 PM

I have no doubt in their customer service and quality of work. I am just curious if anyone has actually got these, and how much work, and money, they needed to get them going.
Old 08-01-2004, 11:28 AM
Ai

RacerTim,

This is a portion of the website I really needed to update, but I've had so little time to do anything at all online that I wasn't able to until this weekend. The porting only heads are more for other shops and do it yourselfers than anything else. If you have a local guy who will give you machinework labor for free or extremely cheap and want to try yourself, then the porting only could be a consideration. I must caution you however that the machinework is the most critical part of getting things "right" and they will have to know exactly what they're doing to duplicate our performance numbers.

When it says 1%, that's true, the port itself will be the same roughed in port I start out with when I begin a base, econo, or full port package. However, the short side will be mostly left alone, as well as the chamber, so you or your local guy will have to determine what valvejob would work best for you, and then tune the port and chamber to work with it. Another thing to consider is that how they apply a given valvejob etc. to the head is equally critical. Cylinder heads are just like your shortblock - you'd want a professional, fully equipped shop that did their work in house to machine and assemble your shortblock, right? You simply cannot consistently get the same quality work if you have to farm out your machinework. Furthermore, even if a shop consistently does what you ask them, this still may not produce the results you're after, as what the casting needs done to it will vary slightly every time. I highly recommend considering all of this when choosing a shop to finish these heads. Since we can't know what your machinist will do, there's no way around the necessary tuning if you want the ports to work optimally with someone else's work.

For 9 of 10 people, this is not an option I would consider, as a good head begins with carefully & precisely applied machinework. Your local shop will need to fully understand what they are doing to get close to or equal to our normal numbers, and if you are paying full price at another shop, this option may not save you money when all is said and done.

Most people can be satisfied with one of our 3 normal packages, the cheapest starting a little over $1k with the same machinework, springs, etc. as the more expensive ones. Of course we can typically work around any budget, just ask for a quote and outline what you have to spend & what youre looking for

Thank you for the kind words guys, it has helped greatly having Ron handle correspondence so that I can stay in the machine shop and off of the phone & computer. He's been doing business with everything from small shops to multi-national corporations for decades, so I knew he could help if I could trick him into agreeing

I hope this helps to clear a few things up! I apologize about the confusion, I've been trying to update the site with better descriptions, new packages, policies etc. lately, so it'll be changing a bit .

-Phil

EDIT: Ron read this and said, "So, all I do is handle correspondence? Okay..." LOL, for the record, he handles all correspondence, finances, legal things, taxes, accounting, payroll, dealing with other shops, equipment purchasing, other vendors, other manufacturers, and me when it becomes necessary.

Last edited by Ai; 08-01-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-01-2004, 02:00 PM

In spite of the overwhelming workload (and other issues, right Phil? ), you and Ron have an arrangement that works well.