LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

is this alright to do this to my headers

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 11:01 PM

is this alright to do this to my headers

in the summer i am gettin a hooker's long tube headers (2231HKR) that have heat treaded paint. but i want to wrap him. is that ok?
Old 03-26-2008, 04:52 AM

The general feeling surrounding header wrap is to leave it off.
Old 03-26-2008, 05:27 AM
Administrator

What exactly will your headers be coated with? What is "heat treated paint"? You need a cera-metallic (e.g. - JetHot, Airborne, etc.) coating. It will reduce heat loss through the tubes, increasing performance, reduce underhood temperatures, and reduce corrosion and stress cracking. There is no "paint" that will provide those benefits. If you have the cera-metallic coating, you don't need a wrap.

Wrapping headers increases the rate of corrosion due to the extreme tube metal temperatures, increases cracking at the welds, and may increase the risk of fire.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
What exactly will your headers be coated with? What is "heat treated paint"? You need a cera-metallic (e.g. - JetHot, Airborne, etc.) coating. It will reduce heat loss through the tubes, increasing performance, reduce underhood temperatures, and reduce corrosion and stress cracking. There is no "paint" that will provide those benefits. If you have the cera-metallic coating, you don't need a wrap.

Wrapping headers increases the rate of corrosion due to the extreme tube metal temperatures, increases cracking at the welds, and may increase the risk of fire.
thanx, i didn't know know. and the headers from hookers well cost around $439 plus shipping from summit racing. and they are cera-metallic coated.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:46 AM

And to further this - header wrap will void most header manufacturer warranties.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:59 AM

Header wrap is also known to hold in moisture,basically helping your headers rust, increasing the chances of exhaust leaks.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 96supersport
Header wrap is also known to hold in moisture,basically helping your headers rust, increasing the chances of exhaust leaks.
No.... they don't hold in moisture. How could a piece of fabric operating at 1,000*F contain moisture?

The wrap increases the rate of tube metal oxidation (= rust) because it holds the mild steel at such a high temperature (virtually equal to EGT), the iron starts to combine with the oxygen in the air.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:33 AM

No.... they don't hold in moisture. How could a piece of fabric operating at 1,000*F contain moisture?

The wrap increases the rate of tube metal oxidation (= rust) because it holds the mild steel at such a high temperature (virtually equal to EGT), the iron starts to combine with the oxygen in the air.
Well thats what i ment to say

Ive always heard they held in moisture though, like if it gets hot then cold, wouldnt you get condensation between the metal and the wrap?

Kinda like if you go outside and its 80 degrees, you shoot your rifle and few times and put it in your car with the a/c on. the gun starts to "sweat"
Old 03-26-2008, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by 96supersport
Well thats what i ment to say

Ive always heard they held in moisture though, like if it gets hot then cold, wouldnt you get condensation between the metal and the wrap?

Kinda like if you go outside and its 80 degrees, you shoot your rifle and few times and put it in your car with the a/c on. the gun starts to "sweat"
That it will do. It won't contain any moisture while you're driving it but it will however "trap in" condensation as you park it for the evening. Doesn't help either way.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Since the wrap is holding the tube metal temps above the ambient air temp for a period, when you shut the engine down, it not likley that they will suddenly sub-cool below the dew point, allowing moisture in the air to condense out. Trust me.... when you heat cheap mild steel to 1,000*F it starts to rust.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:31 PM

well, is it ok to put a extra coat of that stuff on my headers or just leave it be!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by djexotic08
in the......... but i want to wrap him. is that ok?
Originally Posted by 2000GTP
The general feeling surrounding header wrap is to leave it off.
well, is it ok to put a extra coat of that stuff on my headers or just leave it be!
What "stuff"? An extra coat of header wrap? Only if you don't agree with what was stated above.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:46 AM

in the summer i am gettin a hooker's long tube headers (2231HKR) that have heat treaded paint. but i want to wrap him. is that ok?
Just leave it be.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:51 AM

i'm just trying to limit the heat in the engine bay.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:19 PM

Smile

djexotic08:
I don't know if it snows down where you are, but a serious problem with header wrap is driving where the DOT salts the roads when it snows. The water is driven out of the wrap by the heat but the dissolved salts remain to cause chloride cracking in metal and absorb water from the air when the humidity is high. I'm wrapped, with no problems, but the car is only driven on clean, dry roads.

Quick Reply: is this alright to do this to my headers