LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Alright, need some help guys, she won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 02:15 PM

Alright, need some help guys, she won't start.

Okay, its been sitting the whole winter, but I've started it periodically just for the hell of it. Usually fires on half a crank, but today it was just cranking and cranking and no firing. I have fuel and spark, and the opti is brand new. I unplugged the MAF and tried still no start. I did give kinda like a very feable gasp like it was gonna start, but then noting. Any other ideas? This car is ridiculous. Another thing, it was like 60 degrees here 3 days ago, and now its about 5. So I dunno if something might have got wet or what. But I did just start it on thursday and it ran fine.
Old 01-15-2005, 02:50 PM

Re: Alright, need some help guys, she won't start.

Could the gas being going bad by now?
Bill
Old 01-15-2005, 04:05 PM

nah like i said, started fine every other time.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:29 PM

My 94 Z28 did a very similar thing yesterday. Out of the blue it wouldn't start. It will put up a little bit of a fight once in long while, but never like this. It was 60 degrees here two days ago, then yesterday morning when it wouldn't start it was about 38. I thought I was going to be making a phone call but I kept at it, pumped the gas pedal hard, and kept the starter turning longer than I'm comfortable with, and thankfully she fired up. Not even a hint of not firing up since yesterday morning. I say keep trying until the battery dies. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:35 PM

Well, actually it ended up starting yesterday. I went out later to try it again and it just started right up. Now tonite I went to take it out again and the same thing. What sensor would be controling this? It definitely has fuel and spark, so what would make it do absolutely nothing but turn over and over?
I think it might have something to do with an earlier post about how when it starts, it needs to be reved a little or else the rpms will drop and it dies. But it never wouldn't start. ANy ideas?
Old 01-16-2005, 07:27 PM

I do not know. I hope you don't get stranded and I hope mine doesn't get worse.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:39 PM

i would suggest checking your spark plugs. if you havent driven it alot you might have carbon fouled the plugs. Just starting the engine ever few days is hell on the plugs, especially if your not driving it at all. For winter storage i would suggest that you start your car weekly and drive it around the block, get on it a little bit to blow it out. Or put stabil in the tank and put a battery tender on the battery and let it sit till spring.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:28 PM

I'll check em, but I don't see how it could make it not start at all, then fire on the first try like normal. This seems like a sensor problem to me. Even though the car would be in open loop before it warms up, it shouldn't run that rich. Plus, I did take it out yesterday for about 30 minutes, and believe me, I got on it.

Last edited by Black94mula; 01-17-2005 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:11 PM

Okay, I'm thinking either MAF, because today when it wouldn't start, I unplugged the MAF and it kinda stumbled and started. It wouldn't hold an idle and would drop off and die, even if I was holding the throttle. Then I went over and plugged it back in. Then, if I held the throttle for a little bit, when it dropped back down it wouldn't die, then the car was fine. Once it starts and gets past that point, we're good. Either that or the coolant sensor thats in the waterpump. I remember thinking it looked melted or just didn't seem to make a good connection when I was hooking it back up after the waterpump/opti install. Thing is, after my header install which was a couple of months before that, I forgot to even plug it back in. And it seemed fine. Remind you, its like 5 degrees here so I dunno if thats playing a factor.
Lemme know what you think about that. Btw the plugs look ok.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:01 AM

when you unplug the MAF the car should be running in speed density mode, that being hte case you still should not have to give the car throttle since it will be using manifold pressure to determine how much air is entering the engine to determine A/F mixture (since it can no longer guage actual air flow). So MAF is likely not the problem, if your MAF sensor WAS an issue then it should start fine witht he MAF unplugged and stay running without issue.