LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

alternator mounting

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 10:00 PM

alternator mounting

Ok, I'm putting my accessories and other stuff back on my 94 lt1 and I've got the y-shaped alternator bracket on but on the left mount for the alternator there are no thread in either the main accessory bracket or the alternator. Am I missing another bracket on the back side or do I use a nut and bolt? Looking at the following pic it would be the left side of the alternator. thanks.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:19 PM

All I get is a photobucket ad when I click the link.

If this is the thicker of the two mounting points on the alternator, it just uses a bolt and nut.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:22 PM

There is a bracket on the very back that comes from the front exhaust manifold stud. A bolt threads through that and into the back of the alternator. The long boss on the lower side of the alternator takes a long bolt and nut to attach it to the accy bracket.

This might help.

Who put that ugly pulley on the otherwise clean looking engine?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by shoebox
There is a bracket on the very back that comes from the front exhaust manifold stud. A bolt threads through that and into the back of the alternator. The long boss on the lower side of the alternator takes a long bolt and nut to attach it to the accy bracket.

This might help.

Who put that ugly pulley on the otherwise clean looking engine?
That helps a great deal, thank you. I'm also putting headers on so does that bracket that mounts to the manifold stud becomes obscelete?
Old 03-29-2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by red67camaro
All I get is a photobucket ad when I click the link.

If this is the thicker of the two mounting points on the alternator, it just uses a bolt and nut.
My bad, I screwed something up on the photo- thanks
Old 03-29-2007, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by custom95
That helps a great deal, thank you. I'm also putting headers on so does that bracket that mounts to the manifold stud becomes obscelete?
It depends on what you want to do with it. Some people never put it back on, because it is such a pain to deal with (even without headers). It's there for a reason, but from what I have read, people that have deleted it have not reported any major issues.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:56 PM

Stock exhaust manifolds on an LT1 use the "extra" bolt hole in the head which accomodates the aforementioned bracket.

I was able to make a spacer to retain the bracket using the same hole in the head which would otherwise be blank as my headers use the standard bolt hole. But then my Camaro is a '67 and I'm using first gen headers.
Old 06-09-2007, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the pic Shoebox, just what I was looking for before I head out to the garage!
Old 06-20-2007, 06:41 PM

I am running hooker long tubes and the canton tall valve covers. I am unable to use either bracket. Does anyone else have this issue? Any sugestions? I am thinking about cutting the Y piece and just using it to the rear of the thin tab on the alt????
Old 06-20-2007, 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by RPWS6
I am running hooker long tubes and the canton tall valve covers. I am unable to use either bracket. Does anyone else have this issue? Any sugestions? I am thinking about cutting the Y piece and just using it to the rear of the thin tab on the alt????
I'd be careful because I've seen a few threads where people have had their accessory brackets break when they leave the y-shaped bracket off. Grant it, using one mounting point would be better than nothing but still might not be enough support to keep it from breaking.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:40 PM

just like custom95 stated above, if you dont have that y-bracket supporting your alternator (y-bracket from intake manifold to back of alternator) IT WILL SNAP THE ACCESSORY BRACKET!! I know this from experience because i at LEAST broke my acc. bracket 3 times! I finally found out from someone that there was a bracket supporting the alternator to the intake manifold.

The bottom bracket where it mounted up to the stock exhaust manifold should be fine off. I dont have it on and have no problems.
Old 06-20-2007, 09:58 PM

Hopefully the one(1/2 Y) to the rear upper tab will be OK because I need the VC's for clearance and there is no way the full Y will fit????? I also want to keep my air so a relocation kit is not really an option. I could try to relocate the Y part further up and cut and weld it?? Possibly? I have a mig welder but I'm not a great welder. I only drive about 1000-1500 miles a year but they are usually pedal down miles