LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

amp draw of LT1 starter

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 04:43 AM

amp draw of LT1 starter

Hey all,

Rewiring the RX7 and wanted figures on what it draws upon startup so I can put the correct size circuit breaker in. 100, 150, 200 amp?

thanks,
Ben
Old 02-15-2010, 06:40 AM

Normally a starter is not behind any circuit breaker. It is directly connected to the battery, so it can get plenty of juice. When I just did a search about required starter amps, one random place said it can be up to 500 amps. Think of those CCA (Cold Cranking Amps) ratings they put on batteries.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:17 AM

If for some reason you need the current draw, ask one of the auto parts stores that tests starters.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:22 AM

Agree with shoe.
There is no breaker on the starter wires. Peak current will spike stupid high like stated above and then level out around 50 amps once the motor is turning. Any breaker is going to pop nearly every time.

Rule of thumb on big guage wires without breakers, make them as short as possible.

For cars that have batteries in the trunk. They tend to use slow blow fusable links as opposed to breakers which again, tend to pop when spiked.
Old 02-15-2010, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Agree with shoe.
There is no breaker on the starter wires. Peak current will spike stupid high like stated above and then level out around 50 amps once the motor is turning. Any breaker is going to pop nearly every time.

Rule of thumb on big guage wires without breakers, make them as short as possible.

For cars that have batteries in the trunk. They tend to use slow blow fusable links as opposed to breakers which again, tend to pop when spiked.
I too agree with Shoebox but since I have my batt in the back and I have had a short in the past that almost burnt down my car, I am looking for this option. Options do look bleak as I don't want to worry about slow blow fuses and wanted a resettable CB instead but options are limited.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will go without a CB.
Old 02-15-2010, 01:12 PM
sbs

Originally Posted by 95Blackhawk
Thanks for the advice. I think I will go without a CB.
Bad idea. Electrical fires in cars are neither fun nor cheap. BTGTTS...

A quick google search shows people using 100 and 140 A breakers for battery relocation, but mostly on smaller engines.

Another option google turned up is to add a starter relay in the trunk.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by steve9899
Bad idea. Electrical fires in cars are neither fun nor cheap. BTGTTS...

A quick google search shows people using 100 and 140 A breakers for battery relocation, but mostly on smaller engines.
Another option then is to put 2 X 100 amp CB's in series and then have a 3rd prepared to wire up if that still is not enough. Man, wiring is a lot of work. Thank god I am at least trying to plan it out and develop a schematic first.
Old 02-15-2010, 05:44 PM

just a question-why are you wanting to put circuit protection in a +12 feed to the starter? run a solenoid (think ford setup) and be happy with it. that setup has been a safe approach for a long time.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by grumpygreaseape
just a question-why are you wanting to put circuit protection in a +12 feed to the starter? run a solenoid (think ford setup) and be happy with it. that setup has been a safe approach for a long time.
I guess "paranoia will destroy ya". I did not have circuit protection when I almost burned my car to the ground. If I had, there would be no problems. Further, I see that I would have to run multiple wires back to my battery in the rear of the car and was trying to limit that. Not such a big deal but simplicity was being considered.

I looked up solenoids but was wondering what kind of amp draw was needed to close the circuit. Would just a standard feed of 12 gauge wire carry enough juice to close that big solenoid?
Old 02-17-2010, 05:39 AM

I looked up solenoids but was wondering what kind of amp draw was needed to close the circuit. Would just a standard feed of 12 gauge wire carry enough juice to close that big solenoid?
If you look at the LT1 from the factory, it has a small purple wire going to the control side(coil) of the solenoid. Probably around 16 or 18 gage. The other which provides the cranking power(contact side) from the battery is probably 4 gage or slightly larger. The farther you run the main power wire to the contacts, the larger the size it will have to be.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:49 PM

yes a 12 ga wire will close the solenoid. you also have to jumper your factory gm starter from the 12v battery to the "s" (start) terminal on the original solenoid with a 12-10 gauge wire. that jumper is permanent when you run a ford type remote solenoid. you have to do this because the once constant 12 battery cable to the starter will only become energized when you close the new ford type solenoid. i do believe i am explaining what you already are aware of. run the old "s" wire to the new remote solenoid. you are in business.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:08 PM

A general rule of thumb is 1 amp per cubic inch. That number will change with temperature, compression ratio, etc. The no load rating in the repair manual is 65-90amps.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:26 PM

Just did a battery relocate that cost almost $1000. Anyone who says that you o not need circuit protection or that it is overkill is an idiot! I actually like my car, so I go overkill on everything, that is what hot rodding is about, not skimping to save time!

You need to run:

-4G alt wire w/ 150A circuit breaker (avail. at NAPA or even AutoZone)
-1G Wire to Fuse Box w/ 150A circuit breaker (avail. at NAPA or even AutoZone)
-1G Wire to starter

Use trunk mounted Ford solenoid so the starter wire is not hot and if you're using a master cut-off, wire it so that it shuts down the fuse box (not the alt.)
Old 06-13-2010, 02:42 AM

Another option then is to put 2 X 100 amp CB's in series and then have a 3rd prepared to wire up if that still is not enough. Man, wiring is a lot of work. Thank god I am at least trying to plan it out and develop a schematic first.
You mean parallel.
Old 06-13-2010, 08:09 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by headsup
Just did a battery relocate that cost almost $1000. Anyone who says that you o not need circuit protection or that it is overkill is an idiot! I actually like my car, so I go overkill on everything, that is what hot rodding is about, not skimping to save time!

You need to run:

-4G alt wire w/ 150A circuit breaker (avail. at NAPA or even AutoZone)
-1G Wire to Fuse Box w/ 150A circuit breaker (avail. at NAPA or even AutoZone)
-1G Wire to starter

Use trunk mounted Ford solenoid so the starter wire is not hot and if you're using a master cut-off, wire it so that it shuts down the fuse box (not the alt.)
No need to call people names if you don't happen to agree with them. Not acceptable.

Quick Reply: amp draw of LT1 starter