LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Announcing the 2011 LTX Shootout!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:58 PM

Re: Announcing the 2011 LTX Shootout!

Originally Posted by bkpliskin
Sorry, had the wrong window opened when I posted that last one. I was talking about the Extreme Street N/A class. Running a stock bottom end up to 7k is just asking for it. Yes, there have been some quick cars doing it without one, but for the most part, heads/cam stock bottom end cars will get beat down in this class and are too modded for the bolt on class.
I'm going to disagree, like Tony and I said, there are plenty of stock bottom end cars getting it done. I've seen them put down up to 460rwhp and run low 11's. No reason you couldn't be competitive with those numbers. I'd run a stock crank with those numbers with no reservations, and I would have if I hadn't increased the stroke in my current motor.

Either way I'm sure most of the fun at the LTX shootout isn't just winning a class, it's the 5th quarter activities

-Dustin-
Old 02-23-2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bersaglieri
I'm going to disagree, like Tony and I said, there are plenty of stock bottom end cars getting it done. I've seen them put down up to 460rwhp and run low 11's. No reason you couldn't be competitive with those numbers. I'd run a stock crank with those numbers with no reservations, and I would have if I hadn't increased the stroke in my current motor.

Either way I'm sure most of the fun at the LTX shootout isn't just winning a class, it's the 5th quarter activities

-Dustin-
Haha, I'd still really like to come, but I know I don't have a chance in hell of winning any of the classes my car qualifies for. As long as I can get the time off work and my car is in good running condition I have every intention of coming. Through my stalled auto, I'd be lucky to be near 400rwhp N/A. (Car was down with issues so no dyno numbers yet). I'm sure it'll be a blast. I'd just be happy to see my car get to 11.99 N/A with the stock bottom end, stock somewhat worked heads, stock untouched manifold, 4L60e and a 10 bolt.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:44 AM

Have you guys heard there will be a car show in conjunction with the LTX Shootout?

LS1LT1.com will be sponsoring the car show part of the event.

Stay tuned for more info.
Old 03-02-2011, 02:21 PM

Thanks for mentioning that Tony....here's some info encase you guys don't check the events section....

After consulting with Kyle, we believe it would be an excellent idea to showcase some the awesome rides and give out a few prizes before the racing gets underway. The car show should be an excellent entry to the usual nightly parking lot activities. Also we may be do a short cruise after the car show if that's something everyone is interested in....

Prizes/awards will be based solely on donations from member and other sponsors. If you're interested in donating to the car portion, please visit LS1LT1.com for more information. Any remaining funds will be used for the following year or donated to the drag race portion of the event.

While its not official, Mothers' Polish has already been contacted about providing goody bags and some sort of small product samples for car show participates...I will update as soon as I hear back. Other sponsorships will also be pursued in the very near future.

2011 LTX Shootout Car Show
Sponsored by LS1LT1.com

ALL MAKES AND MODELS ARE WELCOME TO PARTICIPATE IN THE CAR SHOW PORTION OF THE LTX SHOOTOUT!!!!!

Location: Parking Area aka "Grounds at Hartland" of the Holiday Inn University Plaza (1012 Wilkinson Trace) Bowling Green, Kentucky
Date: Friday, September 2, 2011
Time: 12 pm to TBA (Participants must be registered by 1:00 pm for judging)

Car Show Judging Categories:
Best LTX-powered Camaro
Best LTX-powered Corvette
Best LTX-powered Firebird/Trans Am
Best LTX-powered Impala/Caprice
Best LTX-powered Specialty/Conversion Vehicle

Best “stock-like” appearance (LTX-powered vehicle)

Best “modified” appearance (LTX-powered vehicle)
Top Ten “People’s Choice” LTX-powered vehicles

Best Interior

Best Engine
Best Body and Paint
Best Stance
**Best of Show**

Car Show Categories are subject to revisions...if you feel a category needs revisions please let me know...like if a bunch of LT1 powered Cadillacs are planing on attending

So get there early and help the LTX Shootout to continue to grow!!!!
Old 03-04-2011, 04:00 PM

Registration is now open!!

http://www.ltxshootout.com/registration/
Old 03-06-2011, 02:04 PM

Sorry, had the wrong window opened when I posted that last one. I was talking about the Extreme Street N/A class. Running a stock bottom end up to 7k is just asking for it. Yes, there have been some quick cars doing it without one, but for the most part, heads/cam stock bottom end cars will get beat down in this class and are too modded for the bolt on class.
I run the stock bottom end n/a. My best is an 11.11 at 121.65 at 11xx DA. Get me in some good air and have my front wheels balanced (they were shaking like crazy) and I would run some 10.80-10.90's. I shift at 68-6900.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:12 PM

For the guys who don't think they will be competitive in the modified or extreme street classes, you'd be surprised what can happen on raceday. The fastest car doesn't always win. Even if you are way off the pace there is still the LTx Index class and LTx Braket class, where a 14-second car could clean house. Factor in a car show and GMHTP right there shooting pics and it's a win-win-win. GMHTP does an excellent job of getting just about every car from the shootout into the magazine somehow.

For the guys who are leary of driving their cars several hundred miles each way there are options for you. Go to enterprise.com and rent a Silverado 1500 for around $55 a day. You can also rent a trailer from U-Haul for around $35-$50 a day. Take the worry right out of your trip. A Silverado with the 5.3 will still get 10-14mpg pulling a trailer if it's flat (no hills). There is a host hotel with a special group rate for LTxers too. Everyone that I have talked to that has attended this event say it is the best hands down.

I'm in Modified N/A and LTx Index btw.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by joelster
I run the stock bottom end n/a. My best is an 11.11 at 121.65 at 11xx DA. Get me in some good air and have my front wheels balanced (they were shaking like crazy) and I would run some 10.80-10.90's. I shift at 68-6900.
Is your bottom end 100% stock?

I'm running stock block, stock crank, stock rods, stock rod bearings, stock pistons, stock cam bearings... etc etc etc. My bottom end has NEVER been taken apart and its got 106,000 on the clock. From everything I've heard it's suicide going that high with stock rod bearings. I've currently got my car in the shop and the tranny is coming out. Getting rid of my 3200 ACC stall and going with a tighter billet performabuilt to gain a little more up top. Also removing the A/C, back seats and taking the battery to the back of the car. I'm definitely planning on going this year, god willing. Just hope I can run into the 11's on my current setup. I'll have all summer to get it just right over at Thompson in Ohio.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:18 AM

I ran my stock bottom end to 7000 for years with zero problems. I used good oil and had good oil pressure. When I pulled the motor apart the bearings all looked alot better than I feared.

-Dustin-
Old 03-08-2011, 06:29 AM

Is your bottom end 100% stock?

I'm running stock block, stock crank, stock rods, stock rod bearings, stock pistons, stock cam bearings... etc etc etc. My bottom end has NEVER been taken apart and its got 106,000 on the clock. From everything I've heard it's suicide going that high with stock rod bearings. I've currently got my car in the shop and the tranny is coming out. Getting rid of my 3200 ACC stall and going with a tighter billet performabuilt to gain a little more up top. Also removing the A/C, back seats and taking the battery to the back of the car. I'm definitely planning on going this year, god willing. Just hope I can run into the 11's on my current setup. I'll have all summer to get it just right over at Thompson in Ohio.
My bottom end was pulled out of a caprice taxi or cop car. We took it apart and cleaned all of the GUNK (took 2 days). The bores looked pretty damn good though (very little ridge), so we figured it was a keeper. Oven cleaner on the piston, brake clean on the block, etc, etc. Went to NAPA and got some gaskets, went to the machine shop and got some bearings, put a new stock oil pump in it. My car has excellent oil pressure so I have no fear of revving it. Some LT1's are notorious for low oil pressure. In cases like that, I wouldn't feel safe taking them up that high. At a hot idle, if your car still maintains 20lbs then it should go to 50-60lbs at WOT easily. I'd have no problem spinning it way up.

EDIT--we left the cam bearings in it. Just changed the rods/mains.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by joelster
My bottom end was pulled out of a caprice taxi or cop car. We took it apart and cleaned all of the GUNK (took 2 days). The bores looked pretty damn good though (very little ridge), so we figured it was a keeper. Oven cleaner on the piston, brake clean on the block, etc, etc. Went to NAPA and got some gaskets, went to the machine shop and got some bearings, put a new stock oil pump in it. My car has excellent oil pressure so I have no fear of revving it. Some LT1's are notorious for low oil pressure. In cases like that, I wouldn't feel safe taking them up that high. At a hot idle, if your car still maintains 20lbs then it should go to 50-60lbs at WOT easily. I'd have no problem spinning it way up.

EDIT--we left the cam bearings in it. Just changed the rods/mains.
My oil pressure sits at 20 at idle and shoots up pretty high when I step on it. How about rod bolts? Did you get some aftermarket? I've also heard that the stock rod bolts are only safe to about 6300?
Old 03-08-2011, 10:19 AM

My oil pressure sits at 20 at idle and shoots up pretty high when I step on it. How about rod bolts? Did you get some aftermarket? I've also heard that the stock rod bolts are only safe to about 6300?
Stock rod bolts. I never planned on pushing it this far for this long. We threw it together just to get it running and out the door.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:46 PM

Bump for this event. I just registered and pretty pumped about getting my car back together for it. Looking for at least 60 cars and almost half way there so keep em comin.

ltxshootout.com
Old 05-19-2011, 01:47 AM

I am really hoping I can make this work with my work. I am going to add a supercharger on top of the nitrous in the next few weeks I am pretty sure... I will have to learn to hook before then.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:29 PM

i think the removal of optispark for ls1 pcm is kind of a double negative. thats one thing that makes our cars unique and troublesome . so being allowed to ditch it just makes no sense. i mean in 2008 and 2009 it was required for extreme street, now its not and only 150lb penalty. i won in 2008, blew head gaskets in 09 and couldnt make it last year cuz we had a baby 5 days before it went down,but i think it should only be allowed in modified or outlaw class. just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Announcing the 2011 LTX Shootout!