LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Another dumb opti question.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 03:56 PM

Another dumb opti question.

I just Installed a remanufactured opti from advanced and now the car runs but just dies shortly after start up. im getting a low res pulse from the Opti,Could it be bad? Really dont want to have to pull it out and replace it again ,any one have same problem and it been something simple. thanks
Old 04-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Administrator

Re: Another dumb opti question.

Are you getting "a low res pulse from the Opti", or are you getting the code for problems with the low res pulse?

Intermittent problems may be related to corrosion or damage to the two Opti harness connectors, including the one on the Opti and the gray one on the bracket on the passenger side of the intake manifold.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:11 PM

i guess its just a low resoultion pulse, Thats what first came to my mind its that plug that goes into the opti so i checked and to be on the safe side used one of my friends 95 but still same code and problem, this cars my daily driver and im been bumming rides for 3 weeks, i gotta get this thing fixed i just dont want to get raped taking it to the dealer, but if i cant fix it soon im gonna just have to take one up the rear end this time around.
Old 04-24-2006, 08:27 PM

I suggest first to recheck all opti connections, and clean them out (CAREFULLY). Including the gray one like injuneer mentioned.

So the check engine light is coming on and the computer is setting a code for a low res pulse?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:42 PM

exactly, thats what happens check engine light, low resoultion code engine want run. ill check those connections again in the morning thanks
Old 04-24-2006, 08:44 PM

I had the same problem and the corrosion had advanced all the way to the end of the rotor. If you bought it from Advance did you replace the cap and rotor? I bought the AC Delco from Advance (I work there and the discount made it "reasonable") I replaced the wiring harness also....got it from Casper Electronics. There's a link on here. somewhere. Mine was down three months after replacing the opti once....I knew it couldn't be the opti. But it was. Check the corrosion....also look at the wiring harness into the ICM.

Bill Mitchell
Old 04-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by yzblue125
i guess its just a low resoultion pulse, Thats what first came to my mind its that plug that goes into the opti so i checked and to be on the safe side used one of my friends 95 but still same code and problem, this cars my daily driver and im been bumming rides for 3 weeks, i gotta get this thing fixed i just dont want to get raped taking it to the dealer, but if i cant fix it soon im gonna just have to take one up the rear end this time around.
You seem confused. A healthy Opti optical sensor has two output signals.... a high resolution pulse and a low resolutuion pulse. The engine will not run without the low resolution pulse. The PCM needs that pulse pattern to time the sequential injection. If it has the low res pulse, it runs. If it doesn't see the low res pulse, it shuts down the fuel pump and the injectors.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:28 PM

You seem confused. A healthy Opti optical sensor has two output signals.... a high resolution pulse and a low resolutuion pulse. The engine will not run without the low resolution pulse. The PCM needs that pulse pattern to time the sequential injection. If it has the low res pulse, it runs. If it doesn't see the low res pulse, it shuts down the fuel pump and the injectors.

the car ran when i first installed the new opti,it would run for about 30 seconds then die and not restart till the next day. now it wont run at all and my friends scanner is saying low resolution pulse

i thinks it is a dirty connection or something cause when i wiggle the opti plug i can get a little fire from the engine. your right im confused haha
Old 04-25-2006, 12:07 AM

Whats really confusing to me i guess is i didnt have a problem with dirty conections before, the car ran fine till the opti went out suddenly one day, it never ran bad or died or anything, i just thought the new opti would fix it since that is what went bad? i dont know, theres no use in dragging this post on, im gonna check my connections in the morning for corrosion and what not and if that dont fix it im just gonna haft to take it to the dealership, thanks guys
Old 04-25-2006, 02:06 AM

I don't know what to tell you man. But I will tell you one thing. I went through four advance/autozone (don't remember which) distributors in three months, all w/new caps and rotors. They would work for anywhere between a week and a month and crap out. I finally got a new GM unit from Jason Cromer for less than I paid for the advance/autozone units by the time you add the cap and rotor (gm distributor comes with cap and rotor pre-installed) and the car ran great until the waterpump peed all over the opti. I put another GM unit in and it's been great since.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:30 PM

I went through two opti's from Autozone in about a 1 month time frame. The first one only lasted about a week. Both times I replaced both the distributor cap/rotor and sensor (I had to assemble the 2 pieces toghether myself). I got a refund on the last failing unit from Autozone and got an original replacement (both cap and sensor pre-assembled) and I haven't had a problem since and that was many months ago. Both the failures were caused by a bad sensor.