LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

another oil pressure question?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 02:38 PM

another oil pressure question?

i know i have seen many questions about oil pressure on here but havent been able to find my problem.
first off my problem is when the car is running or idealing oil pressure is fine only time i have a problem is on fast stops or hard braking the oil pressure will go all the way to zero and then when car stops or i take back off the oil pressure goes up

second the things i already tried
switched oil
added lucas stabalizer
replaced sending unit

since did those things it does not do it as bad as before but still doing it any suggetions would be great thanks
Old 08-05-2009, 02:45 PM

Hard braking moves the oil forward away from the pickup, hence the lack of pressure..
Old 08-05-2009, 02:47 PM

Pick Up Tube

Sounds to me like maybe the pickup tube has fallen out of the oil pump. No a uncommon problem on lt1s.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:47 AM

Go to Jegs and buy the clamp-on pick-up holder for the newer sbc's...great $10 insurance policy of keeping your pick-up tube on...
Old 08-06-2009, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by bigjay75
i know i have seen many questions about oil pressure on here but havent been able to find my problem.
first off my problem is when the car is running or idealing oil pressure is fine only time i have a problem is on fast stops or hard braking the oil pressure will go all the way to zero and then when car stops or i take back off the oil pressure goes up
I have the same problem as you , I ordered my pickup tube retainer bracket from jegs yesterday , it is a 10 dollar part and 17 bucks shipped.
http://www.jegs.com/p/JEGS/JEGS-Oil-...51362/10002/-1

Also see this thread...https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/sho...d+oil+pressure

Also You probably want to stop driving the car until you get it fixed or you will end up throwing a bearing out.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:34 AM

Unhappy thanks for the help

thanks for the suggestions i have one other question now is there any way topull the pan and fix it with the motor in the car this is the first 4th gen car i have owned and havent had to work on it yet so dont know much about what you can and cant do to it with it still in the car thanks again
Old 08-07-2009, 08:09 AM

You can pull the pump with the engine in the car but it is pretty tough. I wouldn't bother with the retainer that is sold...just take the pump and pickup to your local welder and they'll make it stay in there....
Old 08-07-2009, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by bw_hunter
You can pull the pump with the engine in the car but it is pretty tough. I wouldn't bother with the retainer that is sold...just take the pump and pickup to your local welder and they'll make it stay in there....
I've spoken to three different people who had the tube tac welded on and ended up having to drop the pan again because it fell off..better to spend the 17 bucks and be assured that it isn't going anywhere. but thats just my 0.02 cents.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:27 PM

Agree

I agree with you 100% Smokey...good judgement there.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:38 PM

Really???

I have, honestly, never heard of a single case of a failure after welding. I know dozens of guys that have had it, not all with LT1's of course, but Chevy small blocks all. Perhaps those with failures didn't have the pump and pickup clean enough to weld.

ANyway, I would still have it welded and forget the $17 bracket...but that's just my opinion?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:45 PM

I respect your opinion and knowledge as well hunter. It is just that on the pump material (cast) that in order to melt it enough during the welding operation for adhesion of the mig wire it is so very easy to apply to much to a thin walled pickup tube causing a pinhole and or distortion. In addition, if too much heat is applied to the pump..it can alter the characteristics of the spring in there as well. I do see that it is entirely possible to weld one if one is a proficient welder.

Bob
Old 08-08-2009, 11:29 AM

Even better and cheaper than welding it or buying a clamp I took my pickup tube and placed the end on a 2x4 stuck a flat head screw driver in the inside of the tube on the edge of the opening and struck it moderatly with a hammer putting a small outword dent in it. When i put my pickup tube on my new oil pump at first it would basically fall out and now i have to pull pretty hard and twist it back and forth. jusst my 2 cents
Old 08-09-2009, 09:47 AM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by JC95Z
Even better and cheaper than welding it or buying a clamp I took my pickup tube and placed the end on a 2x4 stuck a flat head screw driver in the inside of the tube on the edge of the opening and struck it moderatly with a hammer putting a small outword dent in it. When i put my pickup tube on my new oil pump at first it would basically fall out and now i have to pull pretty hard and twist it back and forth. jusst my 2 cents
I have to say that I dont think your procedure is "better" by any means.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:27 AM

Agree

I agree with you Smokey..if you can move the pickup tube any by hand..it is not a good thing. With the expansion and contraction that takes place..its just a matter of time before it will more than likely fall out.

Bob
Old 08-09-2009, 11:13 AM
Administrator

Correctly done, the tack weld works fine. Never saw/heard of anyone having a problem with it. This car went through several stock oil pans, as a result of dropping it from massive wheelstands, and never lost the tacked pickup on the stock/blueprinted pump:

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../fGeorgeWS.jpg