LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Any cam that increases power within stock rev range?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 01:39 PM

Yes, just like most cams, the baby cam works well with heads. Carl, who use to post here many moons ago (before he did his 396) used the 227 on his 97SS vert along with Lts and CNC'd heads and a dyno tune. I believe he dynoed around 365 +-.

I use the 227 with my ported heads with larger valves. What I enjoy about the cam is the low-end grunt and and the trottle response plus the nearly stock like idle. (not that there aren't pleanty of good cams out there--maybe even better---that will provide the same merits.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:33 PM

T/A, earlier you asked about the emissions on the Crane 210/224. I ran the numbers on the DCR calculator and it comes to about 55 degrees of overlap. The Crane CARB cam has 48 degrees of overlap. I'm not sure where you are but that larger overlap may have an affect on emissions.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Agreed on the beehives.... but with any spring GET THE RIGHT LOCATORS AS WELL!
I thought you meant the conical springs (like the the 982), but when I went onto Comps' site and searched on "beehive", I was quite surprised. Never heard of springs that are so small on one end. I guess the "locators" keep that small end from moving around in the spring seat...

... but if the seats will take the 1.46" spring that Crane recommends, I wonder if maybe it's better to stick with what they consider to be a good match for their cam?

@Wild1, I'm in metro Chicago. My '94 is tested on an IM240 dyno. I searched on-line, and found a scan of an IM240 printout, where the guy was running an LT4 HOT cam (218/228) and he passed, so maybe this Crane 227 would be OK... ?
Old 12-30-2006, 08:51 AM

T/A-Bob, the big end goes into the seat. You really should think about using them. It's money well spent.
Old 12-30-2006, 09:48 AM

The Hot Cam has 59 degrees of overlap. You should be fine then with good programming.
Old 12-30-2006, 03:44 PM

Thanks for telling this "old school" guy about these springs. The idea of high-performance springs that are actually smaller in diameter goes against my past experiences.
Old 12-31-2006, 04:15 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by T/A-Bob
Thanks for telling this "old school" guy about these springs. The idea of high-performance springs that are actually smaller in diameter goes against my past experiences.
Bob,

You would be suprised as to what is going on in high end racing. The springs are getting smaller and smaller, since the mass of the spring is as important as the mass of the valve.

Getting "old school" guys to run these smaller springs is hard to do. There are some neat small diameter dual springs out there (that aren't cheap BTW) that with STEEL retainers have a total weight that is less than most dual springs are ALONE. Now beehives can take that even farther by moving to a single spring with no major resonance frequency.

Bret
Old 03-20-2007, 03:44 AM

So what would be the best springs on stock heads for the crane 227 with out doing machine work? Also it seem that the Hot Cam won't provide an improvement over stock till after 5k. Will the crane 227? Also, is the crane 227 going to take off after 5K like the HotCam?

Last edited by BrandonKeith; 03-20-2007 at 03:52 AM.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by SStrokerAce
Bob,

You would be suprised as to what is going on in high end racing. The springs are getting smaller and smaller, since the mass of the spring is as important as the mass of the valve.

Getting "old school" guys to run these smaller springs is hard to do. There are some neat small diameter dual springs out there (that aren't cheap BTW) that with STEEL retainers have a total weight that is less than most dual springs are ALONE. Now beehives can take that even farther by moving to a single spring with no major resonance frequency.

Bret
Brett your PM box is full, just letting you know
Old 03-27-2007, 01:53 PM

I thought you meant the conical springs (like the the 982), but when I went onto Comps' site and searched on "beehive", I was quite surprised. Never heard of springs that are so small on one end. I guess the "locators" keep that small end from moving around in the spring seat...

... but if the seats will take the 1.46" spring that Crane recommends, I wonder if maybe it's better to stick with what they consider to be a good match for their cam?

@Wild1, I'm in metro Chicago. My '94 is tested on an IM240 dyno. I searched on-line, and found a scan of an IM240 printout, where the guy was running an LT4 HOT cam (218/228) and he passed, so maybe this Crane 227 would be OK... ?
t/a bob...i am in the city area too.....check out the state emissions site. you may not have to go anymore. i know i don't and i have a 94
Old 04-03-2007, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by BrandonKeith
So what would be the best springs on stock heads for the crane 227 with out doing machine work? Also it seem that the Hot Cam won't provide an improvement over stock till after 5k. Will the crane 227? Also, is the crane 227 going to take off after 5K like the HotCam?
Anyone?? Im interested in an answer for this too.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:51 PM

Well I can say that low/midrange is alot stronger now. While in the upper RPM my car is missing ( needs tune and bigger injectors ) once that is fixed should pull pretty damn good throughout the powerband.
This cam has alot of TQ
Old 04-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member

I've just spent the last two hours reading over threads about cam swaps and spun rod bearings. While there are a number of factors (even including bad luck), high revs seem to be a major contributing factor.

So... if you wanted to be ultra-conservative and still stick to the stock red-line of 5800 (or 6000 tops) is there any cam that would still increase power (power under the curve)... or is this not possible... ?? I do understand you'd be giving up a lot of potential power by limiting revs like this...

I was wondering about a (custom) cam that would basically stick to the stock valve timing, but would have much more lift... would something like that do the job?
you can be safe spinning the car to 6200 or 6300 it's not a big of a deal.
Most aftermaket cams will give you a higher RPM limit, since that's how they make power. Would you probably want is a good mild cam. the LT4 hot cam, CC305, or my favorite the much slept on GM 846 can get you some nice HP that you can be comfortable with.

Just remember... even if you had your car performanced tuned when it's stock, they will bump up your RPM band... and that's on your stock cam. So don't be affraid to rev.

Last edited by Heatmaker; 04-03-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:05 AM

I'm building a budget LT1 for a friend of mine...we decided to use a comp cams 212/218 112 that we had laying around the garage for this little project. It'll be with stock heads and slightly higher than stock compression. We're hoping it'll act alot like the Crane 227...It should be up and running in about a month, I post up how it does
Old 04-22-2007, 06:21 PM

awesome thread... i think im gonna get that ligenfelter cam pretty soon and do a little bit of a rebuild this summer

Quick Reply: Any cam that increases power within stock rev range?