LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Any Ideas??????Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2003, 02:01 AM

Any Ideas??????Please Help!!!

Ok, it's been about 2 weeks since my car has been driven. The last time I shut her off she was fine, no SES lights,stumble, nothing. Went to start her 2 days later and she wouldn't start. It would turn over fine but just wouldn't fire (enough to start up), it would sputter a second or two and just stop. I tried for about 20 minutes, until the battery started to drain. I assumed I fouled the plugs, b/c I found one I took out last time I changed them and put a plug wire on to check for spark and it did. So I changed the plugs and tried it again, still wouldn't fire up.
I'm pretty sure it's getting fuel b/c I could smell a little bit in the oil from where I might have flooded it. I wouldn't think it's the optispark b/c like I said, It's getting spark. Someone also mentioned the MAF sensor. Could this be it? Possibly another sensor? Oh, and I checked all the fuses, they're all good. Can Anyone offer some help, I am supposed to drop her off at my mechanic's shop Monday morn, but I would like to get a few more ideas or try a few more things before I do that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And sorry for such a long post, just wanted to be detailed.

Ryan
Old 12-21-2003, 04:46 AM

check your fuses
Old 12-21-2003, 09:18 AM

Try taking off the intake snorkel at the TB and squirt about an ounce or 2 in the open TB. Get in and give it a try. If it starts up and shuts off right away, go back to the schrader valve on the fuel line at the back of the intake and take the cap off. With safety glasses on, use a small screw driver and depress the valve and see if fuel squirts out. If no fuel comes out, your fuel pressure is not getting to the proper level. Could be several reasons you might not have fuel pressure. For example if you have water in the lines and it's very cold out. Sorry but I don't know what typical weather in Alabama is like now. It could freeze and block the lines. You could have a bad fuel filter (doubtful) or the relay could be defective. Could be wiring or a large variety of reasons.

The better way to test for fuel pressure is with a gage screwed on the valve but I will assume you don't have one.

If even the fuel in the TB doesn't work, you will have to check for spark. Check for spark first at the coil with a spark plug. Then at the plugs.

If you don't have spark at the coil, we can help you there too if you need it.
Old 12-21-2003, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the replies guys!
Predator, I already checked the fuses, all good.
Slopokrodrigez, I haven't checked the coil, but I have checked the first 2 plugs (wires) for spark on the drivers side and both were sparking fine. The weather down here is varying between 24 and 40* on average. I have tried ether in the throttle body and it did stumble for a second. But after that, It doesn''t sound like it wants to start at all now (still turning over but not firing). Thanks again for your help.

Ryan
Old 12-21-2003, 11:46 AM

Sounds like a fuel problem to me.
Put a Fuel Pressure Guage on it and see what you come up with.