LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Any one know how hard it really is to change plugs and wires on my lt1?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 05:03 PM

Any one know how hard it really is to change plugs and wires on my lt1?

been told it takes 5 hours and a labor cost of $150 any help
Old 01-01-2007, 05:04 PM

Come on over to my place; I'll do it for the beer n' conversation.
Old 01-01-2007, 05:06 PM

Do you have the stock exhaust manifolds or headers?
Old 01-01-2007, 05:10 PM

Yea umm, I have shorties and it took me at least 4-5 hours after trying to reach in several different positions, there is 1 plug at the back of the block that is IMPOSSIBLE to get at, lucky for me I'm changing the gaskets in the spring so I'll just bolt em off and put in some NGK's or something with copper gaskets. I've heard that if you have long tubes it isn't nearly as difficult
Old 01-01-2007, 05:11 PM

It is not fun by any means, but once you get at it, it's doable. The passenger side is MUCH harder than the driver's side, you will have to remove your alternator and unbolt the power steering pump so that you can access the wires. On driver's side I got all plugs out from underneath the car, on passenger side I got 2,4,6 from up top and 8 from underneath.

If you still have the air pump on your car, now would be a good time to ditch it as you will gain lots of room for the drivers plugs/wires.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by KylerCavers
Yea umm, I have shorties and it took me at least 4-5 hours after trying to reach in several different positions, there is 1 plug at the back of the block that is IMPOSSIBLE to get at, lucky for me I'm changing the gaskets in the spring so I'll just bolt em off and put in some NGK's or something with copper gaskets. I've heard that if you have long tubes it isn't nearly as difficult

The plug at the back of the block is actually one of the easier ones to get at. Just reach up from underneath...
Old 01-01-2007, 06:23 PM
O J

The more you do it, the easier it gets. First time changing plugs it took me 6+ hours (I did it the hard way on plugs 6 & 8). Now I can do all 8 in under 2 hours easy.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:46 PM

How long it takes you depends on you mechanical ability. The first time i attempted it at 17 it took me nine hours. Each time after that I got better and smarter. Now it will take me 2-3 hours, I have a buddy that was paying by the hour and was charged 375 to change the plugs. 150 is the cheapest I have ever heard of. good luck
Old 01-01-2007, 07:00 PM

Ive heard rumors of up to $800 on here to have them changed before. Ive never changed them with out changing headers as well. I would estimate 3 hours at the max for someone that has had experience..Hell, i could probably pull the headers, pull plugs, reinstall headers, and put new plugs in and be done in 3-4 hours. I was looking at the plugs and wires on my vette the other day and it looked like it would be a piece of cake on a c4. Im so glad to see what the rest of the lt1 looks like. F-bodys cover up half of it.
Old 01-01-2007, 07:33 PM

i have stock manifolds, only took me 2 1/2 hrs
driver side - do it from the bottom
passenger side - u can get the back 3 from laying across the engine, the best way to get to the #8 plug is to remove the alternator, or have small hands
Old 01-01-2007, 07:53 PM

I checked book hours for plugs and wires on an LT1 at work a few months ago. I think they gave you about 3.5 hours. Figure, $89/ hr, so $350 or so seems about the least to expect if you have it done. If they want to replace the cap and rotor add another 3 hours at least.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:43 AM

Took me 5 days! Broke two plugs. Had to abandon it for a while to cool off. The driver's side was a walk in the park, took about 30 minutes and most of the time was spent screwing around with the heat shields.

The middle two plugs on the passenger side I got from the top. A good swivel and long handled wrench is a good idea. Also a good idea is a piece of 3/8 hose to start the new plugs.

The plugs at either end were the worst. The 8th I got from the bottom and I took the starter out and just moved it out of the way. The plug is on a bias so it was a pain to start but finally went in with no problem using the 3/8 hose.

The plug under the alt. I got by removing the alt. and again, using the 3/8 hose to start. Now that I know how, it isn't a job for the meek but sure ain't worth more than a few beers.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:52 AM

^u can do the back plug w/o removing the starter. The first time i did plugs, i just reached between the y-pipe and had perfect access to it. Otherwise u can reach it from the top.
The one under the alt. is the worst, first time i did it was w/ the alternator still in place.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:54 AM

The plugs and wires are not fun to do. You have to take the alt out and move the steering pump to get to the plug wires routed b/w them. The plugs can be pretty nasty as well on the passenger side.

It is not a fun job but it is worth the money saved by doing it yourself. plus, you know how you treated your car while working on it. You do not have that luxury at the dealership, and there are some butchers out there.

My suggestion to you is buy some LT headers and do everything at once.

Good luck,

~Jim~
Old 01-02-2007, 12:00 PM

The first time was a bit scary, but make sure you have the sparkplug socket with the 3/4" flats at the top for use with your 3/4" wrench, and also you'll need the mini 3/8" extension for your 3/8 drive rachet. All the plugs 1,3,7 are done from the bottom. Plug 5 is done from the top. For the passenger side, remove the alt and do plugs 2,4,6 from the top and then do #8 from the bottom without taking the starter off using the tools above.
Doug

Quick Reply: Any one know how hard it really is to change plugs and wires on my lt1?