LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Any power loss with the intake oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 07:55 PM

Any power loss with the intake oil leak?

I may have the intake leak at the rear so i'm going to pop it off and fix it. I'm wondering though, any power loss associated with an intake leak?
Old 08-30-2004, 09:26 PM

Re: Any power loss with the intake oil leak?

Very possible yes, if the leak is allowing oil and unmeasured air to enter one or more intake ports that will hurt power. If the leak is just oil down the outside of the motor then no that would not hurt power.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:01 PM

possible for a slight power loss....but besides that...dude...ur gonna have oil under ur carriage....rip off the intake and patch it up

cory
Old 08-30-2004, 10:07 PM
Advanced Member

IF the oil gets into anything it can hurt yes... Other wise not really...

I did the intake oil leak fix ... but seems I made it worse when I didn't get the intake one right... oh welll fudget... LT-1 heads and intake can blow me.... LT-4 here we come
Old 08-31-2004, 05:44 AM

My leak was responsible for some of hesitation. Power loss wasn't noticeable, but MPG went down a little bit. It's worth doing it by yourself, here you have some info and pictures to help you.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by CamaroZBoy
possible for a slight power loss....but besides that...dude...ur gonna have oil under ur carriage....rip off the intake and patch it up

cory

Under my carriage? Dude, I have oil all the way down the passenger side floorboard almost to the rearend. Yeah, something's leaking
Old 08-31-2004, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Very possible yes, if the leak is allowing oil and unmeasured air to enter one or more intake ports that will hurt power. If the leak is just oil down the outside of the motor then no that would not hurt power.
It sure as hell will if oil drips onto a wire or two, or the opti. The wires will swell and leak current to ground before it gets to the plug. Happened to my car and the previous owner.
Old 08-31-2004, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by DarkHorse
Under my carriage? Dude, I have oil all the way down the passenger side floorboard almost to the rearend. Yeah, something's leaking
I guess thats all the more reason u better rip off that intake get new gaskets and throw a fat bead of RTV on the back of that intake so that mess stops...then the best thing to do is...get some "Engine Brite" and spray it all up underneath ur car where all the oil has been flying up when u drive the car and get a hose and spray that **** out of their and let it dry...it will smell like **** until ur car heats up a few times to get rid of that smell...but then all ur oil mostly will be gone...and when the leak is fixed....ha...no more oil leak.

Cory
Old 08-31-2004, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by kevm14
It sure as hell will if oil drips onto a wire or two, or the opti. The wires will swell and leak current to ground before it gets to the plug. Happened to my car and the previous owner.
Honestly yours is the first I have heard of one leaking from the front, they leak from the back because of EGR heat and bolt loosening. I do believe that oil on opti wires and such could cause a problem but I would call your instance a feak case whereas the rear leak is a known issue.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:33 PM

Mine leaked from the front and back.Ya it got pretty messy. It leaked much worse from the back and very little in the front. I also had a bit of an internal leak. Now its all fixed and my car runs awesome. ONce its all off clean your intake and tb as much as you can. CLEAN IT ALL!!!. It will make a noticable difference.