LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Any Quick A/F guage install tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 07:26 PM

Any Quick A/F guage install tips?

...hello!
So whats the easiest/quickest way to wire my air/fuel guage to my passenger side 02? I havnt taken a look under the car in awhile since my jack is gone! I have a wiring harness with a wire split from the sendor but my jack is gone right now. If anyone has some pics or some details on the pcm location from the harness that would be great.

Arghh.

Thanks!
Old 08-21-2003, 08:16 PM

Purple wire that goes to the passenger O2 sensor

Look close its exposed: http://www.bealer.org/wire.jpg
Old 08-21-2003, 09:56 PM

i'll sell you another A/F guage so you can have both reading from the O2s
Old 08-25-2003, 10:48 AM

Hello...
Ok, after digging through the PCM harness, I found the purple wire.
Thanks.. hmmm...nice light show..lol
Old 08-25-2003, 12:26 PM

Talking A/F Gauge

Hey fellas, I had an experience with installin my A/F gauge. I installed one along with a trans temp on my A pillar. Well I spliced into the signal wire(purple wire) on the bank 2 sensor 1 (passenger side manifold). After about a month, my Service Engine Soon light kicked on. I had it scanned and it was that sensor I spliced into. Come to find out, that gauge was pulling to much current and it faulted that sensor. So I had to replace the sensor, but it wasnt just that easy. So I replaced the sensor and drove about 15 miles out of town. Well on the way there, the Service Engine Soon light kicked on again. Well it was that same sensor. So I disconnected the signal wire to the gauge, and the light went off. What the odd thing is, why would it do that??? Thats what the gauges are for?? And if that isnt the way to hook them up, then what is??? Is there a certain sensor to put it on?? Keep in mind I have a 96 3.8 Series II V6.
Old 08-25-2003, 12:54 PM

Re: A/F Gauge

Originally posted by 2BFAST
Well on the way there, the Service Engine Soon light kicked on again. Well it was that same sensor. So I disconnected the signal wire to the gauge, and the light went off. What the odd thing is, why would it do that??? Thats what the gauges are for?? And if that isnt the way to hook them up, then what is??? Is there a certain sensor to put it on?? Keep in mind I have a 96 3.8 Series II V6.
So did you re-scan after you disconnected the guage to make sure that the problem was no longer with the 02 sensor? Also, is the Purple wire still going to the PCM? Depending how you hooked up your guage. The wire from the guage to the PCM purple wire may be loose if you just cut it, twisted it with the guage signal wire and then slapped some electrical tape on it. Sometimes I have done that like with my stereo hook-up. lol! Hissing noisees... Anyhow a quick splice may come un-done or whatever. I used a splice crimper thingy that came in a box of 10 I got from Radio shack to make sure it was crimped together tight & looked decent.

I was wondering if you are a octane boost supplement user? Or use any fuel cleaning agents recently? Some products will damage 02 sensors, just wondering since Im interested in your post and im trying to make sure what your saying is a possibility.

Thanks for the post...I'll ask around to see if anyone else has had this problem....