LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Any thoughts on this custom grind?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2003, 11:51 AM

Any thoughts on this custom grind?

My engine builder recommended a 234/242, .598, .598 lift (with 1.6), on a 112. He said he was going to use XE ramps.

As of now my heads are stock, and will be when the cam goes in. The will get ported however as soon as money permits.

Tuning will be done (duh).

I have seen that custom grind idle/run on stock heads before, but unfortunatly the guy never ran the car, and still has stock manifolds (long story, lol). It doesnt idle as bad as some think.

I dont mind spinning high, i have 4.33s to get me up there. Im guessing the cam will run to 6700 or so.

Just wondering if anyone had some thoughts on this cam, or suggestions.

Jared

p.s. I know this is a big cam, but i wanna go fast! I am aiming for mid to high 11s on stock bottom end and 400+ rwhp after my heads are done (280+).
Old 02-24-2003, 12:18 PM
Retired

You hit most of the points yourself.

I'll just add:

That cam is a high-end cam. You'll have to rev the hell out of it and launch it at a higher rpm to really benefit from it. I had a 234/239 cam in my 350 LT1 that sounded much crazier than my 396 does now.

You're pushing the envelope, but I don't think that cam is a terrible idea. It just wouldn't be my first choice for a stock-bottom end car.

Mike
Old 02-24-2003, 09:31 PM

What would be your first choice, if you were in my shoes with my plans that i laid out above?
Old 02-24-2003, 09:59 PM

Bigger is not always better! I don't think the driveability of that cam on stock heads is going to be pretty. When you get the heads ported it will get better but I still don't think it will be very good. I like the lift numbers. To make good power I think you'll be spinning the bottom end awefully fast though which is not the best idea. If I were in your shoes I'd go with a lot less duration and the same lift maybe a little less (to make life easier on the springs) - how about something along the lines of a 228/236 - you'd keep the same i/e ratio if that's important.. and that's still a pretty big cam IMO.

If you don't care about driveability and just want a big f'ing lopey cam then just make sure you have some strong springs since that's a lot of lift and you'll be spinning some high rpms on that cam - two things that make for a tough life for valve springs.

To elaborate what I said above about this cam being a bad bad choice for stock heads even if it's only temporary... That kind of duration is borderline on too much IMO stock heads or ported unless this car is a track queen. This is further compounded by the high lift numbers you have. Stock heads can't flow fer sh*t at near .600 lift.

Again, bigger is not always better
Old 02-24-2003, 10:10 PM
Banned

that thing is gonna be one high revving snmabitch
Old 02-24-2003, 10:32 PM

I know its going to rev high, I have the gears to do it with though as i said. Also i might put it in a little advanced to back it down some.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by atljar
I know its going to rev high, I have the gears to do it with though as i said. Also i might put it in a little advanced to back it down some.
dude, that thing is like 7000rpm plus

im 236/242 in a 383 with 5.74 exhuast (forgot intake, much less) on 112 lsa and i'm looking at 6800-6900
Old 02-24-2003, 10:48 PM

Trey-
I dont think it will run that high. A buddy is running it in a 383 and shifting at 6800.

Here's something i graphed out using desktop dyno. My LT1 program that i put together is VERY accurate. Thas has the cam installed 4º advanced. This is using stock TB, and stock heads. 400 fwhp not too shabby and its running to about 6700.

http://home.cinci.rr.com/atljar/dyno.jpg
Old 02-24-2003, 10:50 PM

No No No... running advance is like a patch. You're getting a custom ground cam, there's no reason not to get it right. With the right cam you shouldn't have to run any advance because it's the right cam.

I really think driveability is going to suck with that cam.. and worse still, I think you'll be spinning the bottom end way to fast. So you'll either be gambling with the bottom end to use all the power this cam is making OR you'll be missing out on a lot of power because you don't want risk it. I agree with trey, you'll be spinning that thing over 7k.. Hell, even if you do only spin it to 6.7k or 6.8k on the stock shortblock you're just begging for an accident.

Just downsize that cam a little bit...

So many people here seem to equate a big cam with a
big d!ck

Trey's got a 383 and look at the cam he's running, it's no bigger than what you've got planned for a 350.

Good lord, never mind, I go to edit my post and you guys must have made three or four more in the 3 minutes it took me to add this little bit. Wow

Last edited by Lost; 02-24-2003 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:53 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Lost
No No No... running advance is like a patch. You're getting a custom ground cam, there's no reason not to get it right. With the right cam you shouldn't have to run any advance because it's the right cam.

I really think driveability is going to suck with that cam.. and worse still, I think you'll be spinning the bottom end way to fast. So you'll either be gambling with the bottom end to use all the power this cam is making OR you'll be missing out on a lot of power because you don't want risk it.

Just downsize that cam a little bit...

So many people here seem to equate a big cam with a big d!ck
I can see where they are confused though, its not a ****, its a condom
bigger the better so long as you use it all
Old 02-24-2003, 10:55 PM
Banned

Trey-
I dont think it will run that high. A buddy is running it in a 383 and shifting at 6800.

Here's something i graphed out using desktop dyno. My LT1 program that i put together is VERY accurate. Thas has the cam installed 4º advanced. This is using stock TB, and stock heads. 400 fwhp not too shabby and its running to about 6700.

http://home.cinci.rr.com/atljar/dyno.jpg
stock heads- and you should shift that thing at like 7200 rpms

why not go smaller and use it all?

why the hell not get an Lt4 hotcam and ported heads and do the same

man is it gonna suck *** to drive that cam daily
Old 02-24-2003, 10:55 PM

lol at you guys.

I just changed the program around a little. Put on a set of ported heads flowing 295, and opened up the intake. Power moved up to 7500. Ouch. God i hate cam selection.
Old 02-24-2003, 10:56 PM
Banned

lol at you guys.

I just changed the program around a little. Put on a set of ported heads flowing 295, and opened up the intake. Power moved up to 7500. Ouch. God i hate cam selection.
295? at what cfm?
sorry
at what lift
Old 02-24-2003, 11:02 PM

That was at .600. No no, not from a stock lt1 casting. That was a max ported lt4 file i had. lol. You going crazy yet?
Old 02-24-2003, 11:02 PM

My cam is a 232/242 544/560 110lsa and is supposed to make power up to around 6800.. I will not be able to find this out for a long time though.. I have driven the above cam on the street last summer with a 6-speed and it wasn't that bad.. kinda suck leaving stop lights with the stock 3:23 gears.

Quick Reply: Any thoughts on this custom grind?