LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Any word on the Delteq Stage 2?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Re: Any word on the Delteq Stage 2?

Like many of these magazine articles, it isn't written very clearly. I think sometimes they are little more than disguised paid advertising.
Old 09-13-2004, 03:29 PM

Are you guys generally happy with the stage 1 design? I am on my third Opti and 2 of them had failures related to the optical sensor. The first one I don't know the cause because it was replaced by the dealer. In my experience, the optical sensor is the most unreliable part of the design. It is interesting that the consensus on this thread is that this is the more reliable part because I have had the exact opposite experience.

I was interested in the stage 1 but after reading this thread, it looks like it will not replace the part giving me the most trouble so I don't think I will gain anything by using the stage 1. Is the stage 2 model also known as the D4A Engine Control Module?

Jeff
Old 09-13-2004, 06:45 PM
Administrator

My Opti showed signs of dying at 50K miles. The cap/rotor section was still in perfect condition, even though it had been seeing the affects of an MSD 6A box for over 40K miles of its life (an alledged "killer"). The optical section was being blinded by a huge amount of rust buildup, most of the rust coming from the cheap carbon steel bearing retainer plate. The bearing itself was also getting a little "grind" and stiffness to it from the rust.

I think the rust is caused to a large extent by ozone buildup from the high voltage discharge. GM apparently felt this was a problem, because if you research the addition of the "vent" system, it is there for ozone removal, not for moisture removal. By eliminating the high voltage function from the Opti, it appears you remove the ozone/corrosion issue. Converting to a vented system can't hurt either.

Like I said, a friend's 1,000+HP LT1 ran flawlessly for 4 years with the stock Opti optical sensor driving an aftermarket ECU and direct fire coil setup. I copied that setup for my engine, and its been running for 4 years with no problems. Admittedly, these cars do not see the daily abuse that the typical daily drivers see (although mine was a daily driver for a year), but in the case of the 1,000+HP setup, it was routinely turning mid-7,000rpm at the track. My redline is 7,200rpm. The optical sensor provides a deadly accurate timing signal.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:52 PM

all the Opti failures i have experienced on mine and other cars i work on have been related to the optical portion of it. i am running a Delteq on my car, but i did it for the extra spark, not for the interest of eliminating opti issues. unless the stage 2 is pretty cheap (which i doubt), i dont really see the advantage to running it instead of an opti. they only crap every so often(half the time due to a neglected waterpump leaking on them), and arent that hard to change. yes they are expensive, but probably a good bit cheaper than the stage 2 will be
Old 09-13-2004, 06:52 PM

Exclamation Re: Any word on the Delteq Stage 2?

definately cannot wait to hear more about this new design!!

i'm so glad that someone is doing the R&D to rid us of the achiles heel that the LT1's have

thank you Delteq
Old 09-13-2004, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by chevyguy3
all the Opti failures i have experienced on mine and other cars i work on have been related to the optical portion of it. i am running a Delteq on my car, but i did it for the extra spark, not for the interest of eliminating opti issues. unless the stage 2 is pretty cheap (which i doubt), i dont really see the advantage to running it instead of an opti. they only crap every so often(half the time due to a neglected waterpump leaking on them), and arent that hard to change. yes they are expensive, but probably a good bit cheaper than the stage 2 will be
not to mention, you could just get a used opti that may have crapped out to replace your crapped out one, since all you need is the optical sensor part of it to work with the stage 1
Old 09-14-2004, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by chevyguy3
unless the stage 2 is pretty cheap (which i doubt), i dont really see the advantage to running it instead of an opti. they only crap every so often(half the time due to a neglected waterpump leaking on them), and arent that hard to change. yes they are expensive, but probably a good bit cheaper than the stage 2 will be
Well you can look at it this way. If a system that replaced the opti and added coil packs were to be offered for around $600, that be the same price as buying a delteq(or LTCC) and a new opti. It seems like alot at first, but it would come out to the same price in the end. If you take in to account that most poeple have been thru one or more opti's and that the price of the system would be the same as 3 opti's, you will still spend the same amount of money in the long run. With an opti replacment, you would have piece of mind knowing that you wont ever have to worry your ignition system again.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:19 AM

Thats one ugly set of exhaust tips..
Old 09-16-2004, 08:59 AM

The optical part lasts longer when you take away the high voltage spark anyways, cuz now no corrosion takes place, and if you take the opti apart & take out the rotor & replace with a shim its even more reliable & the bearing will be fine now.

Remember, even at 7k RPM, the opti is only doing about 1/2 the speed of that since the cam spins at 1/2 the speed of the crank.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:23 AM

Interesting.... So maybe I would benefit from using the Stage 1 since my sensor failures may also be related to the high volage section that would be eliminated.

Jeff
Old 09-18-2004, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by bunker
The optical part lasts longer when you take away the high voltage spark anyways, cuz now no corrosion takes place, and if you take the opti apart & take out the rotor & replace with a shim its even more reliable & the bearing will be fine now.
Even if you make the high voltage side inoperative, you still have other sources of corrosion that can blind the hi res slots. The rotor is made of plastic, so it weights less than an ounce. A metal shim would be heavier than the rotor.

Last edited by texanmutt; 09-18-2004 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 04:02 PM

so any wrd on the stage 2?
Old 11-20-2004, 05:25 PM

Hey guys I cant wait to hear from the Delteq stage 2. But my logic tells me we wont know much untill that thing is tested and ready to ship. Put it this way if I were to tell you the Delteq was gunna be ready to ship on January 1st 2005 would you be buying the delteq state 1 now?

See my point. As much as they want to sell the stage 2.... I bet is not at the expense of loosing sales on stage 1, at least not till stage is ready.

If I was them I would somehow integrate state 2 into stage one... to force customer into buying stage 1 and then upgrading to stage 2... I would call it an option.

I trully apreciate someone spending the time to develop such a monster though so dont get me wrong... but busines is busines and the guys have to make a profit too or maybe... they dont really know when it will be ready because of hidden bugs that keep coming up...

so anyhow If the price is affordable to me then I will buy it.. else I am stuck with the opty.

Marvin
Old 11-20-2004, 05:33 PM

i really dont think it matters as far as from the bussiness standpoint goes...only reason i say that is because im willing to bet there are alot of people out there not buying the stage 1 now for of a fear the stage 2 is so much better....i would be happy knowing the stage 1 can be upgraded to a stage 2 when the parts become avail....if thats the case ill buy one tomorrow...but with out some kind of confirmation i wont be buying anything anytime soon as well as alot of others im sure
Old 11-20-2004, 05:45 PM

MY last opti crapped after 10,000 miles. Optical sensor.

Quick Reply: Any word on the Delteq Stage 2?