LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Anybody ever retrofitted A/C ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 04:09 AM

Anybody ever retrofitted A/C ?

Yes, i'm planning to build A/C in my car.
I know that it's very uncommon to have a factory 4th without A/C but mine came without it.
I'm also aware that most people take it out for performance reasons but i guess i'm a 'have my cake and eat it too' kinda guy

Ok, my car didn't come with A/C (95 coupe 3.4 V6 M5) and while i'm doing the LT-1 transplant i plan to retrofit the A/C.

The engine is complete so it has the compressor, PCM, wiring, etc.
And i pretty much have all remaining parts like the condensor, lines, resevoir, dash heater unit with evaporator, etc.

Just wondering if ANYONE has ever done this before and could give me pointers before reinventing the wheel.

Note: as people have removed the A/C quite a few times i wonder if y'all could give pointers aswell as you might have some information that could be usefull, especially swapping that heater/evap core is quite a challenge i assume. (most will probably just disconnect the hoses and leave the unit inisde the dash alone)

Thanks for reading
Old 03-01-2005, 03:53 PM

Re: Anybody ever retrofitted A/C ?

Y'all want me to continue sweating like a pig in that car don't you ?
Old 03-01-2005, 03:58 PM

Well, the good part is you should be able to find plenty of used compressor sitting around. Other than that, I have no idea where to start. Its going to be hard as all hell probobly, have you ever look at the back side of an AC switch panel? Thats enough to scare me off right there.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:12 AM

Those vacuum lines behind the selector are somewhat of a chaos when you first see it but when you look up the schematics you'll realize that the system is actually very simple, effective and in my opinion brilliant !
I figured out how the system works, the wiring and all but the only details i'm missing are the actual removal/placement of the indash heater/A/C unit.
Taking the dash apart in order to remove it is a challenge i suppose so i was hoping for people with some experience in this field.

As for the compressor, i have all parts (or at least most of them) awaiting installation.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:30 AM

I would think it would be pretty simple, just time consuming. You seem to have pretty good knowlege of how the a/c works so that should help. All the cars are the same wether they are v-6 or v-8 so everything should just plug and play. I'm not speaking from experience here so i could be way wrong. Sounds like a nice challenge to wake up one saturday to.