LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Anybody making 500rw n/a NON SOLID ROLLER

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 06:53 AM

Anybody making 500rw n/a NON SOLID ROLLER

Is anybody even close to making this kind of power on a HR application. Being close to this is ultimatley my goal. But the more I search the more i see people making the hp with SR setups and to be honest Id rather not go that rought. Im seeing way to many lifter failers and too low oil pressure issues. I have seen a couple people come close but none have hit the magical number. I see LS1's do it all the time, Would it be asking ALOT to get an LT1 stroker into this territory without going Sollid Roller?. Im a very tolerant person when it comes to drivability and if it takes a monster cam that rattles my teeth,and some aswome flowing heads then I'll take it. Even if it gets 15mpg. What are your thoughts?.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:13 AM

Re: Anybody making 500rw n/a NON SOLID ROLLER

Lots of guys are with nitrous and FI, I would think N/A you would really have your work cut out for you, even SR.

Sheetmetal intake, AFR heads, and maybe an aftermarket engine management system to spin the motor high enough to take advantage of a huge cam?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Valkyn71
Lots of guys are with nitrous and FI, I would think N/A you would really have your work cut out for you, even SR.
Many, many dollars to accomplish....unless you grow that stuff on trees in your yard, there are more effective ways to achieve that goal.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:37 AM

one way to do it would be to have a set of 15* heads converted over to lt1. It wouldn't be cheap, but it would make some sick hp.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:12 AM

Well let me ask this, how many of you are running 10's n/a with a 6-speed. Thr only person that come to mind is Tanner. Is he the only one?
Old 08-22-2005, 10:12 AM

You don't need 15 degree heads (would be real easy then) Mindgame on this board makes around 580RWHP NA with a 383 and a 15 degree head design.
Do a search using the key words of 500 RWHP and you will find some valuable info. Also do a search under the name of SStorkerAce and single plain intakes.

Hot Rod Hawk on this board has a 355 A4 with some ported LT1 heads (upper 270 Flow, a big HR cam and a Single plain converted EFI Holley intake, He made 505RWHP. Its not Extremely hard as many think, you just have to have parts compliment each other Very well. Man thing is, you need some nice heads. Reason be the better your heads the least amount of cam you need to make power. You can make 500RWHp with a 268CFM head but you need a big cam to do so. A 300+CFM head needs little cam and makes the same if not more power and is streetable.

I would suggest doing a 383 or 396 with some nice heads and a Super VIC intake converted to EFI, run a 90-105MM TB with a 100 degree elbow should flow enough air to feed the heads and be one hell of a motor.

Ed Wright made 475RWHP with a 383 using the ported LT4 intake manifold and LT1 heads using 2.00 intake valves, in a A4.
Remember the power comes from the heads, intake, cam/valvetrain.
Thats all I have to say I suppose, I have a Physics class to attend too, lol
Old 08-22-2005, 10:18 AM

Good info man thanks.
Old 08-22-2005, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Ed Wright made 475RWHP with a 383 using the ported LT4 intake manifold and LT1 heads using 2.00 intake valves, in a A4.
Wow! 475rwhp! I think there is a big cam?
Old 08-22-2005, 11:40 AM

You want a HR cam why? Streetable...friendly...good manners.

You want 500 rwhp and want the above right...something is going to have to give...especially on a stock displacement. How high you willing to spend the motor...you ok with making very little down low power?

Then you have to address drivetrain...500 rwhp...take out the 10 bolt and stuff a 12 bolt or 9" in there. Do you want to drag race it? T56 be going boom boom...so in the auto and that eats up even more rwhp.

500 rwhp sounds cool and like a good goal...but it is not. It takes money to make near that...alot with a hyd roller cam.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:48 AM

$$$ - people think it's easy until they start buying the parts necessary for it. Cha-ching - hope you're either single or have a fantastic job with 2 incomes and no kids. This game isn't cheap by any means.

May be "easy" to get 500hp but you still need the other parts to hold up, need to get the power to the ground, etc....

QA1's n HALs all the way around isn't exactly "cheap". Adjustable suspension - front n rear - not exactly "cheap"

you see..... getting the HP number may be relatively easy but you do realize that it's just a number? How does the car actually perform at the track making that power? I'd be utterly embarrassed to have a 500hp car that runs low 12's high 11's with an outrageous MPH while some guy in a beat up Z runs those numbers using used parts - and making much less power btw. Would be enough to send me home crying about how much of a fool I was to fall into the my ***** is bigger than your ***** (ie dyno number games) trap.

EDIT: If you really want to play with a 500 hp car - find a friend that is building one and help out with it. Trust me - first hand - it's well worth the time invested. If the guy is building the car right you'll have fun.

Last edited by DarkHorse; 08-22-2005 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by DarkHorse
$$$ - people think it's easy until they start buying the parts necessary for it. Cha-ching - hope you're either single or have a fantastic job with 2 incomes and no kids. This game isn't cheap by any means.

May be "easy" to get 500hp but you still need the other parts to hold up, need to get the power to the ground, etc....

QA1's n HALs all the way around isn't exactly "cheap". Adjustable suspension - front n rear - not exactly "cheap"

you see..... getting the HP number may be relatively easy but you do realize that it's just a number? How does the car actually perform at the track making that power? I'd be utterly embarrassed to have a 500hp car that runs low 12's high 11's with an outrageous MPH while some guy in a beat up Z runs those numbers using used parts - and making much less power btw. Would be enough to send me home crying about how much of a fool I was to fall into the my ***** is bigger than your ***** (ie dyno number games) trap.

EDIT: If you really want to play with a 500 hp car - find a friend that is building one and help out with it. Trust me - first hand - it's well worth the time invested. If the guy is building the car right you'll have fun.
You are very correct.
Right now my little brother and I are building a pretty stout performer right now iwth my 1994 Trans Am. The motor (solid-roller fully forged 383 LT4) was expensive but the surrounding mods have more than doubled, possibly tripled the motor price.
We got together and put the custom fuel system (Jordon Musser's old turbo setup), 12-bolt, new rear Hals, BMR front K-member and the rear 17x11 Fikses on last weekend. This weekend we are putting the front Hals, tubular adjustable lower and upper BMR a-arms, front 17x9.5 Fikses, Baer Track Kit in the front, new rack and pinion, etc...

This game is an expensive one, that's for sure.
Old 08-22-2005, 02:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by T/A KID
You don't need 15 degree heads (would be real easy then) Mindgame on this board makes around 580RWHP NA with a 383 and a 15 degree head design.
Do a search using the key words of 500 RWHP and you will find some valuable info. Also do a search under the name of SStorkerAce and single plain intakes.

Hot Rod Hawk on this board has a 355 A4 with some ported LT1 heads (upper 270 Flow, a big HR cam and a Single plain converted EFI Holley intake, He made 505RWHP. Its not Extremely hard as many think, you just have to have parts compliment each other Very well. Man thing is, you need some nice heads. Reason be the better your heads the least amount of cam you need to make power. You can make 500RWHp with a 268CFM head but you need a big cam to do so. A 300+CFM head needs little cam and makes the same if not more power and is streetable.

I would suggest doing a 383 or 396 with some nice heads and a Super VIC intake converted to EFI, run a 90-105MM TB with a 100 degree elbow should flow enough air to feed the heads and be one hell of a motor.

Remember the power comes from the heads, intake, cam/valvetrain.
Thats all I have to say I suppose, I have a Physics class to attend too, lol
Good post....

BTW 15° heads have to run solid rollers since they have offset lifters.

Basically you need good heads, a good intake and the rest of the parts all matched up.

Bret
Old 08-22-2005, 04:35 PM

To answer your question: sure, they are all at LS1tech.com .

In all seriousness, I think many guys are looking for a set it and forget it 500rwhp daily driver that they can drive on 200mile trips and have stock reliability. All of this, and be cheap since its just an older LT1 motor . Makes it tough for guys like Brett to keep people happy after they tell them the cost upfront, I'm sure.

Questions as far as power and ET aren't as closely related as one would think. Want to run a good ET, put your money in the car. Want a good dyno? Put the money in the motor (topend/Engine builder who knows what he/or she is doing pocket). Want both? Refinance the house!

Ryan

Last edited by 96speed; 08-22-2005 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by CANTONRACER
You want a HR cam why? Streetable...friendly...good manners.

You want 500 rwhp and want the above right...something is going to have to give...especially on a stock displacement. How high you willing to spend the motor...you ok with making very little down low power? .

Just so you know, Im really not new to this. Im aware that there are trade off’s that are going to be made. Like I said in my orginal post, I am willing to sacrifice some driveability to get me towards my goals.

Originally Posted by CANTONRACER
Then you have to address drivetrain...500 rwhp...take out the 10 bolt and stuff a 12 bolt or 9" in there. Do you want to drag race it? T56 be going boom boom...so in the auto and that eats up even more rwhp. .
As stated before, Im wanting to stay HR b/c of what I have read and have heard from people with SR setups on there cars. Lifter failer,spring breakage, low oil pressure,etc. Sure solid roller would get me there without a doubt but from the way Im looking at it the negatives are out weighing the positives. Im fully aware that a stronger rear end is needed. I already have that addressed. I hope I didn’t come off the wrogn way with my replie. Trust me,im all ears and am willing to hear what you guys have to say.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:58 PM

Im trying to make 500rwhp with a hydro cam on a college kid budget. I'll let you know how it works out.

Quick Reply: Anybody making 500rw n/a NON SOLID ROLLER