LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Anybody making 500rw n/a NON SOLID ROLLER

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 04:58 PM

Re: Anybody making 500rw n/a NON SOLID ROLLER

Originally Posted by 96speed
Questions as far as power and ET aren't as closely related as one would think. Want to run a good ET, put your money in the car. Want a good dyno? Put the money in the motor (topend/Engine builder who knows what he/or she is doing pocket). Want both? Refinance the house!
Very good points.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by DarkHorse
$$$ - people think it's easy until they start buying the parts necessary for it. Cha-ching - hope you're either single or have a fantastic job with 2 incomes and no kids. This game isn't cheap by any means..
Well I have soem of that covered. Not maried,no children, saving up is oretty simple.

May be "easy" to get 500hp but you still need the other parts to hold up, need to get the power to the ground, etc....

QA1's n HALs all the way around isn't exactly "cheap". Adjustable suspension - front n rear - not exactly "cheap".
Trust me, Im aware of the suspension setup that is going to be involved. Hell I dont have much of a suspension now. As of late all my money has been going towards go fast parts. I figure now is a good time than any.

you see..... getting the HP number may be relatively easy but you do realize that it's just a number? How does the car actually perform at the track making that power? I'd be utterly embarrassed to have a 500hp car that runs low 12's high 11's with an outrageous MPH while some guy in a beat up Z runs those numbers using used parts - and making much less power btw. Would be enough to send me home crying about how much of a fool I was to fall into the my ***** is bigger than your ***** (ie dyno number games) trap..
I understand were not racing dynos here. And I understand that its only a tool to be used. As far as a the track goes. Et doesnt concern me as Im really more interested in what I trap. Et can come later but thats another topic .
Old 08-22-2005, 05:07 PM

Another thing, if you aren't dead set against a solid roller i think aggiez28 still has that solid roller top end for sale, its not cheap but it would definately make the power.
Old 08-22-2005, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by jerminator96
Another thing, if you aren't dead set against a solid roller i think aggiez28 still has that solid roller top end for sale, its not cheap but it would definately make the power.
Thanks for the update but yea, Im aware of aggie's top end and bottom end hes tryting to sell. And your right it is not cheap but the setup is badazz. But Im only wanting certain stuff from his car but not really interetsed in the bottom end but the top end I do have an eye for. But would like to stay HR.
And just so that you guys dont get me wrong I have nothing against the people running SR. I just dont think its the setup im looking for, I wouldnt realyl feel comfortable driving the car. too much to worry about persay.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:43 PM

Completely understandable, i also am sticking to an HR setup.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JustNO
Wow! 475rwhp! I think there is a big cam?

Ed Wright is making 505 RWHP with his LT4 383 through an unlocked 4L60E trans and a 12 bolt. Keep in mind he has tweeked that combo to death, tried every part under the sun on HIS dyno. He has run 10.20's at 3350 pounds.

500 RWHP can be done with 23* heads and an automatic......just takes the right combo of parts.

David
Old 08-22-2005, 07:58 PM

May be "easy" to get 500hp but you still need the other parts to hold up, need to get the power to the ground, etc....

QA1's n HALs all the way around isn't exactly "cheap". Adjustable suspension - front n rear - not exactly "cheap"

you see..... getting the HP number may be relatively easy but you do realize that it's just a number? How does the car actually perform at the track making that power?
Originally Posted by texasTA
12-bolt, new rear Hals, BMR front K-member and the rear 17x11 Fikses on last weekend. This weekend we are putting the front Hals, tubular adjustable lower and upper BMR a-arms, front 17x9.5 Fikses, Baer Track Kit in the front, new rack and pinion, etc...
While you guys have a valid point, I don't think it's valid quite to that degree. Those are all things that would be good mods for any drag racing car--even one that "only" makes 350, 400 or 450 RWHP.

Maybe not quite to the same degree, but I don't think it's really fair to simply add all those costs to the cost of a 500 RWHP engine. Some people with less power already have them or would have eventually gotten them anyway even if they never exceeded the more common 420 RWHP range.

And of course, some who want as much power as they can afford don't dragrace. Like me. My car is already set up as well as I possibly can to make full use of that much power on a roadcourse. And it would be set up the same for 300 or 350 RWHP. In fact, it was.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:07 PM

For whoever said that you need to complement the power with a good chassis setup, amen to that!

I've got a forged 355 w/ported heads and gm847. But thats about it. I have stock suspension, stock , rear end, stock 6 speed. My rear end has blown 5 times. My tranny is on its way out. Other than that, this car is a tire-smokin', wheel hoppin' bastard. It drives me crazy, but I can't afford to fix it. College student/dirt track driver.

It is for sale though.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:32 AM

Ported AFR 215RR heads, CFE sheetmetal intake, custom grind hydraulic cam, scat rods, HTC crank and various other pieces in a 355 LT1 made 492 rwhp through a ZF 6 and dana rear.

This is an engine I put together a while back.

There are a number of guys making power in that range and better with hydraulic cams. The LS1 guys have a better valvetrain (as a system) to work with in regards to making big NA power on hydraulics.

IMO, trying this with an LT1 is all good and fine but it's also time to seriously consider a solid roller.

-Mindgame
Old 08-23-2005, 07:46 AM

My next build will be a HR with lotsa...lotsa boost. That IMO is the way to go...
Old 08-23-2005, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by CANTONRACER
My next build will be a HR with lotsa...lotsa boost. That IMO is the way to go...
It was mine too, I still have the head unite to do it with pluss some. But when I got doen adding all the things I need to support 750rwhp it got a little out of hand when I sat down crunched numbers. So I figured I would be the btter perosn and hold off on it and try something else I knoew I could acheive in a good amount of time.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by CANTONRACER
Agreed.
Old 08-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mindgame
Ported AFR 215RR heads, CFE sheetmetal intake, custom grind hydraulic cam, scat rods, HTC crank and various other pieces in a 355 LT1 made 492 rwhp through a ZF 6 and dana rear.

This is an engine I put together a while back.

There are a number of guys making power in that range and better with hydraulic cams. The LS1 guys have a better valvetrain (as a system) to work with in regards to making big NA power on hydraulics.

IMO, trying this with an LT1 is all good and fine but it's also time to seriously consider a solid roller.

-Mindgame
A lot in that post.....

It can be done even on a 355 for a street car if you do it all correctly...

The comparison to the LS1 and it's valvetrain gives us a lot of things we can use to make the system work much better. Reducing mass, beehive springs, stiffer cams etc... all can be taken into account and used on the LT1 to get you there. Good heads and intakes also help as well.

IMHO if you are keeping the motor under 7500rpm you can do it with a Hyd roller without a problem. I don't see the hyd roller as a limitiation, it can get the job done as well or better than a SR cam, and have less BS to boot.

Bret
Old 08-23-2005, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Ed Wright is making 505 RWHP with his LT4 383 through an unlocked 4L60E trans and a 12 bolt. Keep in mind he has tweeked that combo to death, tried every part under the sun on HIS dyno. He has run 10.20's at 3350 pounds.
500 RWHP can be done with 23* heads and an automatic......just takes the right combo of parts.
David
Just wait tell we come down to No Problem Raceway this year...
He has some of the best wheel standing launches around! Cutting in the low 1.3's short times.
Old 08-23-2005, 10:31 PM

SStrokerAce what do you mean in regards of Ls1's having stiffer cams???
I am a novice when it comes to cam talk, lol. I have heard great things about the Beehive springs, the New Popular HOT rodding has a very nice write up on SR VS HR in street cars. Also I saw how some Beehive springs lift a 1000 RPM to a motor just by switching to them from a standard spring.

Quick Reply: Anybody making 500rw n/a NON SOLID ROLLER