LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

Anyone have any of AI's cam only packages?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 04:19 PM

meh I am going to throw a cam only in my car for the time being, not because I think it is the best idea, but because i need to reseal the front cover/oil pan so I figured why not throw a little cam in it just for ****s. I am not ready for the big tear down that a full rebuild would cost consider I would need a rear/tranny upgrade a fuel system upgrade and ignition upgrades. And for the time being a little more power with some juice on top of it will keep me happy till I am ready to tear down the car and done right. Mods are mods if something makes you faster and happy then why not

btw cantonracer pm me with whats up with those heads you are talking about, I am in columbus
Old 06-18-2008, 04:22 PM

im not arguing with that, but that applies to the heads/cam package as well. The potential is there for both, and i think with a little dedication it is obviously feasible since others have already done it with some hard work and dedication.

My point is, a cam package is not a big waste of time. if anything, the money/horsepower or should i say money/results ratio is much better for a cam package when comparing cam only to heads/cam.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:42 AM

Javier(sp)'s car is not typical though. Most cam only guys are running 12.50's@ 110. Sure there are a few guys like frankz whose cars runs 11.30's @118 but most of the crowd isnt.

When you said 13.8 down to 12.0's your talking of ONE guy, who also happens to: have a good setup, knows how to drive, has a stalled auto with 3.73's, and have probably made 100+ passes all of which arent 12.00's. The bulk of them are probably low 12's, with a best of 12.00.

So when theres others agruing that its not worth the time you should at least consider their point.
He mentioned ls1's a whole nother story. A buddy of mine can do a LS cam swap in a little under 4 hrs. So if you put the potential gains into perspective 40-65 hp for 700-800 dollars and 4.5 hrs of time is much different that an LT car.
Old 06-19-2008, 10:09 AM

Well said slomaro. Everyone has to remember, just cause a few guys did this or that doesn't mean anyone can do it without some hard work or luck. Oh, and don't forget the money part!
Old 06-19-2008, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by slomarao
Javier(sp)'s car is not typical though. Most cam only guys are running 12.50's@ 110. Sure there are a few guys like frankz whose cars runs 11.30's @118 but most of the crowd isnt.

When you said 13.8 down to 12.0's your talking of ONE guy, who also happens to: have a good setup, knows how to drive, has a stalled auto with 3.73's, and have probably made 100+ passes all of which arent 12.00's. The bulk of them are probably low 12's, with a best of 12.00.

So when theres others agruing that its not worth the time you should at least consider their point.
He mentioned ls1's a whole nother story. A buddy of mine can do a LS cam swap in a little under 4 hrs. So if you put the potential gains into perspective 40-65 hp for 700-800 dollars and 4.5 hrs of time is much different that an LT car.
Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
Well said slomaro. Everyone has to remember, just cause a few guys did this or that doesn't mean anyone can do it without some hard work or luck. Oh, and don't forget the money part!
I think there are more way more than 2 guys running low 12's with cam only cars. Im saying with some attention to detail its possible, its proven that cam only cars can run low 12's. Though not typical the potential is there. And im considering his point however, I don't see how a cam package isn't worth it compared to heads/cam. if anything you have more luck getting a cam swap right rather than a heads and cam.

In terms of time.. i've done a swap with my cousin on his LS1 and did one with my buddy's Lt1 and it was the same time. What is so different about the two when doing a cam? If anything the LS1 is longer because we had to take the heads off to get the lifters in. Unless your referring to popping in a cam and not modifying the valvetrain.

So like I said before, a cam package compared to heads/cam is more bang for your buck and results aren't to far apart.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mtxz453
I think there are more way more than 2 guys running low 12's with cam only cars. Im saying with some attention to detail its possible, its proven that cam only cars can run low 12's. Though not typical the potential is there. And im considering his point however, I don't see how a cam package isn't worth it compared to heads/cam. if anything you have more luck getting a cam swap right rather than a heads and cam.

In terms of time.. i've done a swap with my cousin on his LS1 and did one with my buddy's Lt1 and it was the same time. What is so different about the two when doing a cam? If anything the LS1 is longer because we had to take the heads off to get the lifters in. Unless your referring to popping in a cam and not modifying the valvetrain.

So like I said before, a cam package compared to heads/cam is more bang for your buck and results aren't to far apart.
Ok, who?

Also having every bolton that you can get and then going cam only is...a waste of time....spend thousands of dollars getting your bolton's only to not do it right in the end.

If you really are worried abotu breaking stuff...leave it stock then.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:20 PM

Thinking about going with one of AI's cam packages since they come with everything and all of their other products have proven well from what I see, but i've never seen anyone with any of their cam packages.
I am an AI customer and I am very happy with their products. While you don't mention what the "package" includes, I purchased from them (along with the 200cc Heads/Cam combo) a valvetrain kit that included rr's, studs, lifters, CrMo pushrods, and other goodies and saved a few bucks and lots of time.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:

Ya there are many more that run low low 12's and even some in the high 11's but than you have guys who have every bolt on and a cam who still cant get out of the 13's. And im not talking about the guys 4500ft above sea level either.
So when you say there are plenty who can run 12.00's with cam only cars, your right. But when you put all cars into consideration (guys from 11.30's-13.50's) the majority of them are still right around 12.50's.

I mean **** you could potentially you can set the bolt on record with a cai,cutout and gears, likely, hell no.

I not even sure why I am still posting in this thread because its so f ing stupid but i guess i drawn to it because I just want to get the point across.

So what that said I am going to stop posting, but i hope all the people who see a 12.40's in someone sig dont think that will will be able to achieve that same with result with the same parts.

Good luck to you with a AI cam, i am sure you ll be happy with any of their custom grinds. Sorry i contributed to trashing your thread.

Last edited by slomarao; 06-19-2008 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:01 PM

lets see, frank95z is running low 11's with stock heads, but maybe he just got lucky. These "internet" racers as you call them, order a cam and slap other stuff together thinking their recipe is going to work and then get mad when they run bad times. I never said i'm worried about breaking stuff but if i don't have the money to upgrade my driveline then why take more of a risk of stuff breaking. I already have the bolt-ons i need to support the cam package, why spend 4k or more for an extra 50-60 hp or .5 second off my e.t. when I could spend a total of 1800 and bevery happy. To me thats not a waste of money to just do a cam package.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:05 PM

Ha well wait a second, before you stop posting, why can't you expect to get similar times if you have the same parts as everyone. Isn't that usually how people buy things, based on results from others who have the same products?
Old 06-19-2008, 02:11 PM

and tito, thanks for the post. i put in the order yesterday I got their whole valvetrain package along with the cam and gonna have them port the intake, im sure i won't be disapointed with the results.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:21 PM

and tito, thanks for the post. i put in the order yesterday I got their whole valvetrain package along with the cam and gonna have them port the intake, im sure i won't be disapointed with the results.
you won't be. good choice
Old 06-19-2008, 02:25 PM

Sorry bud, done here.
I do see you point, do you see mine?
Old 06-19-2008, 02:36 PM

Theres nothing wrong with a little civil debate, no need to stop posting. I don't exactly see your point. Canton says cam packages are a complete waste of money but that doesn't make any sense to me and i don't see his proof behind that. If your point is, not everyone is going is going to run exactly the same times then i see that. But I can't see a reason not to expect similar results with the same setup. Obviously something has to be wrong if thats the case.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:41 PM

Call me a fool then.. but my cam only car wasn't a waste of time and money.

I spent $1k on the cam and supporting stuff (including an overpriced LT4 ED set at the time) and went faster than alot of heads/cam guys do.

Too many people throw their wallets at their cars trying to go faster, instead of stopping and using their heads.

My cam only setup was:

Boltons: SLP CAI, Hooker LT's, Hooker catback
Trans: 2800 Vigilante
VT: CC503, 1.6 RR's, CM612 springs, cheapo hardened pushrods
3.73's... a set of Nitto's out back and skinnies up front. Full weight otherwise.

I ran lots of low 12's with that setup.. and I had about 6 or 7 12.0 passes I recall. Lots and lots of 12.1-12.2 passes.

I've been around the LT1 world a long time too..

Quick Reply: Anyone have any of AI's cam only packages?